Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RF antenna location on HR24 board

revert

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ncsercs

ncsercs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

Where is the RF antenna located on the HR24 motherboard?

It sometimes fails to respond to commands. When I get no response, I look at the light in front of the HR24 and see it not blinking when pressing a button on the remote. I see the light on the remote when I press a button. When I move the remote around, it finally responds.

Never had this problem before with the HR21 it replaced. Is it possible there is interference of some sort? Thought RF has no "dead spots". Is it an HR24 issue?
Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

Did you try new batteries?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

Just to be sure, go into the menu for the remote in the HR24 setup and verify that IR is not defaulted on. Mine came with an RF remote but was set for IR in the HR24.

#4 OFFLINE   ncsercs

ncsercs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:40 PM

Did you try new batteries?

of course i did
Nick

#5 OFFLINE   ncsercs

ncsercs

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:41 PM

Just to be sure, go into the menu for the remote in the HR24 setup and verify that IR is not defaulted on. Mine came with an RF remote but was set for IR in the HR24.

already did that
Nick

#6 OFFLINE   taoseno

taoseno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

I have the same exact problem w/ the HR24 w/ the RF. Was this issue resolved?

#7 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

I too have noticed the HR24-100, at times, will not respond to the RF remote which has new batteries. The setup shows it as RF. I am wondering if the two Linksys network bridges connecting my two HR24's are interfering with the D* RF remote?

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#8 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

Just add another one to the list of HR24's with spotty RF control. Obviously RF is always on and new batteries in the remote. I have good response when it works but there are "spots" in the living room that don't respond as well as other spots.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#9 OFFLINE   rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

Just add another one to the list of HR24's with spotty RF control. Obviously RF is always on and new batteries in the remote. I have good response when it works but there are "spots" in the living room that don't respond as well as other spots.

Could this be RF interference? I know when we had DISH a long time ago my son's tv's UHF remote worked better when his CFL lights were out but when they were on it would not work well at all.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

3 HR24-100s owned
1 AM21 with cheap indoor multidirectional OTA
Slimline 5
WorldDirect
WHDVR with BB DECA

#10 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,862 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

Could this be RF interference? I know when we had DISH a long time ago my son's tv's UHF remote worked better when his CFL lights were out but when they were on it would not work well at all.

Have you verified that the problem goes away if you switch the remote back to IR?

The symptoms you list are also present in non-24 systems, and it has always indicated that the box was "busy" and could not process the requested command...in fact if the front panel light doesn't blink (ack'ing the command), then the processor never even sees it.

Just something to consider....

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#11 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

I agree with hasan. I find the same problem on all DirecTV receivers using IR or RF.

The natural reaction to a receiver not responding to remote commands is to press the button again, most likely multiple times, which only compounds the problem. The receiver just stays busy and looks as dead as a stone.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,868 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

I agree with hasan. I find the same problem on all DirecTV receivers using IR or RF.

The natural reaction to a receiver not responding to remote commands is to press the button again, most likely multiple times, which only compounds the problem. The receiver just stays busy and looks as dead as a stone.

The natural reaction must be RBR ! :)

#13 OFFLINE   rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

Have you verified that the problem goes away if you switch the remote back to IR?

The symptoms you list are also present in non-24 systems, and it has always indicated that the box was "busy" and could not process the requested command...in fact if the front panel light doesn't blink (ack'ing the command), then the processor never even sees it.

Just something to consider....

Never tried it back in IR for his room. It was back when I worked at E** and his tv was on the 2nd tuner of a 625 unit. Trust me, I tried everything including pig tailing out the UHF antenna on the 625. When I switched out his CFL bulbs with incodescent the issue was resolved. Now I have D** and am at another house so hard to double check it in RF under the same conditions.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

3 HR24-100s owned
1 AM21 with cheap indoor multidirectional OTA
Slimline 5
WorldDirect
WHDVR with BB DECA

#14 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

It could also be a conflict with frequencies in the house as well. Have you tried using a different code?

#15 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

It could also be a conflict with frequencies in the house as well. Have you tried using a different code?

How do you change the RF code on a D* remote? What RF frequency does D* use? I have N and G routers and an iPhone which I think is G. Then there is the 4 5.8 GHz wireless phones and PS3 Bluray.

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#16 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

No you can't change codes on the RF remote, there is only one. I find the BEST solution is using the network to change channels. I have downloaded an app for my phone, it finds the receivers in the house. I hit the button on the app and boom, it does what I say!!!! LOL but we all knew that.

That being said, has anyone answered the OP's question, where internaly is the RF antenna on the HR24? If we have an owned receiver, is there anything we could tweak to see if that would help? I would be more apt to do that then replace the HDD in my owned HR24.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...