Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20-700 xfer external HD to internal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   d0ug

d0ug

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:43 PM

I currently have my HR20-700 torn apart to replace some bad caps on the power supply. Since i have the box torn apart I figured i might as well mount the 1TB drive that has been in an external enclosure inside the box to replace the 320gb drive

Question is will this HD keep all its recordings if i transfer it inside keeping the SATA cables attached to the motherboard where they originally were, or should i swap the cables so that the internal HD will now be connected to the motherboard port that was connected to the external port?

I just dont want to power the box back up after the repair is done to find it formatting the drive and erasing all my recordings

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:47 PM

It *should* be a direct swap for the original drive. I havent done that yet tho, so hopefully someone that has, can chime in. I dont think hooking the drive up to the esata cable internally and leaving the sata cable disconnected will work, but I havent tried that either. I know it gets its temp reading from the internal drive, but not sure it its got an external thermistor or uses data from the drive itself.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:45 AM

I have and it never formatted for me, then I promptly took it back out. The 20-700's run too warm, the fans rarely kick on, and the drives run too hot mounted internally, so I put it back in its MX-1 to keep it cool and safe from destroying itself.

#4 OFFLINE   d0ug

d0ug

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

Well since i have the box open I am thinking of adding atleast one fan pulling air in from outside the box somewhere along those vent holes along the left side by the power supply seems i should just be able to zip tie one to the chassis and tap into the 12v at the molex connector for the HD and maybe put a faster fan that is still quiet to replace the one next to the HDD.

Though quite frankly i think my HD will get better cooling inside the HR20 by the looks of that beefy bracket the HD fits into that acts as a heatsink and with even the stock fan blowing air over it. The current external enclosure the HD is in has a very tiny fan in it that just barely moves air, and the HD has survived fine in it for about 3yrs.

That enclosure was the best quiet option i could find at the time and its worked well. has a small quiet squirrel cage blower in the back with an exhaust port about .75cmx2cm or so. Its a rosewill esata/usb enclosure i wish i could find more of them but newegg doesn't seem to carry them anymore

Found the enclosure, but its not a stocked item anymore http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817173040
better pics of it here http://www.rosewill....oductDetail.htm seems newegg may have been the only place to ever carry it

Edited by d0ug, 18 October 2010 - 10:19 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

Even replacing the fan in your HR20-700 might not do any good, the software isn't written well enough to cause it to come on when it should. I think this is one of the reasons that the 20's run hotter than the newer models. The fan in my 22 seems to run quite a bit as I can hear its faint whisper quite often if I listen for it. The fans in the 20-700's almost never come on, I know the fan works because when I reboot it the fan spins up to full speed as part of the reboot process.

#6 OFFLINE   d0ug

d0ug

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:45 AM

Even replacing the fan in your HR20-700 might not do any good, the software isn't written well enough to cause it to come on when it should. I think this is one of the reasons that the 20's run hotter than the newer models. The fan in my 22 seems to run quite a bit as I can hear its faint whisper quite often if I listen for it. The fans in the 20-700's almost never come on, I know the fan works because when I reboot it the fan spins up to full speed as part of the reboot process.

From what i saw, even with the faulty power supply the fan was running when i plugged the box in. Thought it stopped running once i removed the faulty caps and powered the box briefly to verify the high pitched sound from the transformer was gone. albeit seems like a slow fan, but that could be due to the powersupply not outputting adequate power too. However replacing the fans and powering them off the molex power connector going to the HD would mean that they are on 24/7

Ill definitely investigate the stock fan a little bit since i have the box open once im successful with the repairs. I did notice that the tuner board inside my HR20-700 is different than the teardown photos in one of the threads here. Rather than 2 separate ATSC tuners connected to the back of the box with short pieces of coax, the ATSC tuner is a single small box mounted flat to the board, like a smaller version of the SAT tuner. also the heatsink on the box's CPU is alot smaller

I can post photos of the ATSC tuner and smaller heatsink later today when I am home if its of interest to anyone.

Edited by d0ug, 18 October 2010 - 10:48 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   d0ug

d0ug

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:17 PM

here are pics of the changes ive noticed on my particular HR20-700 vs the pics shown here http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=61862

smaller CPU heatsink http://twitpic.com/2yuw9r
single ATSC tuner box http://twitpic.com/2yuwhz
and dual ATI chips, probably ATSC decoder chips? http://twitpic.com/2yuzfu
anyone know what these jumpers are for? http://twitpic.com/2yv0au

#8 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

I've had '100s and '700's both running with the case open for long stretches of time. The fans seem to run at about the same blow rate as every other 4" fan I have ever seen, and do not run at dual speed, and run continuously. I have never heard the fan "spin up" to a higher speed like an Intel or HP server does (you can stack them directly on top of each other and their two small 1.5" fans will not spin up unless the room goes above about 77 degrees).

But I do aim secondary fans at all of my heat-producing equipment now. The little $9 fans from Walmart are great for that, they lower the internal temp 15-20 degrees.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall