Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sony Movie channel HD is live now

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   trido

trido

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:26 AM

Sony Movie channel HD is live now on CH 563.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:31 AM

Cool, I'll check it out when I get home

#3 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,524 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:37 AM

On for several hours...old news. :lol:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:56 AM

Great, isn't it so exciting to welcome Sony to D*!- NOT :nono2:. This month's featured movies are Dick & Ghostbusters II. Let me make some popcorn. Wow, what year are we in? It gets better, can you guess what movies premier next month? The Natural, Oliver, Multiplicity and The Muppets Take Manhattan. Ok, to be fair more old-ass lame movies premier next month along with these, but I couldn't stomach the urge to type any more of these garbage films. We already have plenty of crap channels, but D* goes, what's one more to throw at us to alleviate the upcoming rise in fees.

I know, I know, people are going to disagree and say this is like the Lord's second coming. That's because you're used to mediocre garbage and you think it's cool to add another channel to the HD number even though it's as relevant as an infomercial channel in regards to how much time you're going to spend watching it.

I don't know about you, I'll stick with watching new things that are current with this century. These old films, are well old and non seem to be blockbusters that would solicit a second watch.

This is a complete waste of space, air, channel, and my time writing this post. How about a national HD channel for goodness sakes.

Disclaimer - This is one person's opinion. Those who are thrilled about this channel, ENJOY! Those who would rather have a new national HD channel, get stoked about the upcoming hike in programming fees because this Sony channel ain't freee!

#5 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:06 AM

I want a national channel TCM so I can watch all of the great OLD movies.

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,524 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:06 AM

This is a complete waste of space, air, channel, and my time writing this post. How about a national HD channel for goodness sakes.

Disclaimer - This is one person's opinion. Those who are thrilled about this channel, ENJOY! Those who would rather have a new national HD channel, get stoked about the upcoming hike in programming fees because this Sony channel ain't freee!

The very same argument has been made about Starz and other premium channels. I could make a case that having all the current HD movie channels is redundant. While I personally anticipate very limited viewing on this new HD channel, I also understand that its about providing diversity in HD channel content to the overall viewing audience.

Every time a new channel is launched...we get the "why are they wasting the bandwidth" comments...

It's also an expansion of the Extra Pack, which until this year...which was a very small offering for the extra $$$. Now the number of channels in that optional package has grown. Since its optional, people can decide for themselves if its "worth the $$$" on their own.

One person's HD poo-poo is another's HD treasure.

With plenty of bandwidth remaining fopr yet more coming down the pike...no harm, no foul.

#7 ONLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,027 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:11 AM

Cool, I'll check it out when I get home

+1

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q2 2014 Set-Up

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,889 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for letting me know about Muppets take Manhattan, I'll set that recording up.

But really, if you don't like the channel, don't watch it. If you don't find value in the HD Extra Pack, unsubscribe. It's not a requirement on a contract. That simple. Will there be a price increase in Feb? Most likely, but the primary reason isn't channels being added. Channels they already carry want more money when they renegotiate the contracts. It's usually negotiated down from what the channel owner originally asked for, but usually still higher than the old price. Other costs of business increase.

The Extra Pack needed to be filled out some more, it was pretty sparse on the channels. I liked the idea of the Smithsonian Channel, but it seemed very heavy on the repeats.

#9 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,074 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:33 AM

It gets better, can you guess what movies premier next month? The Natural, Oliver, Multiplicity and The Muppets Take Manhattan.

Glad I read your silly diatribe so I found out that Oliver! is on next month. Terrific movie that I have not seen in HD yet.

BTW, didn't know that the CENTURY a movie was made in made it a good or bad movie. Nice to know that movies made in this century are so much better than those made in the last one. I guess I am going to have to rethink my opinion on the Star Wars movies. The newer ones *must be* better.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#10 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:45 AM

The Extra Pack needed to be filled out some more, it was pretty sparse on the channels. I liked the idea of the Smithsonian Channel, but it seemed very heavy on the repeats.

Yep, sometimes I'll scroll through their schedule for 2 weeks and find 99% of the shows are ones that were in the schedule 6 months ago. They do have some good new stuff on once in a while.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#11 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:58 AM

Great, isn't it so exciting to welcome Sony to D*!- NOT :nono2:. This month's featured movies are Dick & Ghostbusters II. Let me make some popcorn. Wow, what year are we in? It gets better, can you guess what movies premier next month? The Natural, Oliver, Multiplicity and The Muppets Take Manhattan. Ok, to be fair more old-ass lame movies premier next month along with these, but I couldn't stomach the urge to type any more of these garbage films. We already have plenty of crap channels, but D* goes, what's one more to throw at us to alleviate the upcoming rise in fees.

I know, I know, people are going to disagree and say this is like the Lord's second coming. That's because you're used to mediocre garbage and you think it's cool to add another channel to the HD number even though it's as relevant as an infomercial channel in regards to how much time you're going to spend watching it.

I don't know about you, I'll stick with watching new things that are current with this century. These old films, are well old and non seem to be blockbusters that would solicit a second watch.

If anyone understands what you’re saying, it would be me. I’m so sick of HD additions that cost the customer more. What a shocker, SonyHD is not a “freebee”. If you want to watch it, you’ll have to pay $4.99 a month (above and beyond your normal monthly bill). However, I’ll take this channel in a heartbeat over a number padding redundant PPVHD channel.

#12 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,245 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:01 AM

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I suggest in the future though, start a counter or different opinion thread as not the encourage dissension in a thread of one direction. I suspect it will encourage like minded individuals to build on their opinion even more, instead of encouraging contention. We should all play nicely with one another.

I will take a look at the new channel and make an informed decision on empirical data once I have time. I'm undecided at the moment. :)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#13 OFFLINE   coolyman

coolyman

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:19 AM

Sony Movie channel HD is live now on CH 563.

This is a blank screen for me even after a refresh. :confused:
And after a menu reset.

Edited by coolyman, 18 October 2010 - 08:27 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:19 AM

Been waiting for this since the channel's announcement.

#15 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,524 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:22 AM

This is a blank screen for me even after a refresh. :confused:

You may need to update your favorites list to make sure 563 is on your list.

#16 OFFLINE   coolyman

coolyman

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:27 AM

You may need to update your favorites list to make sure 563 is on your list.

It is.

#17 OFFLINE   ans2004

ans2004

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:30 AM

personally i want to thank directv for adding this channel. i am a movie lover and to see a new hd movie channel is gold in my eyes. Not everyone watches sports all the time. Hopefully they add epix in the future. i too would like to see bbca, amc, fox movie channel and tcm in hd. thanks directv....

#18 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,524 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

It is.

...and you have the HD Extra Package, right?

...because I see it fine on 2 HD receivers and 3 HD DVRs here right at this time...

Hmmm....???

#19 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:35 AM

No problem adding it here.

As opposed to the normal practice, I sure hope Sony is paying DirecTV to air this channel. I looked through the movies for as far forward as my guide would go (maybe a week). I couldn't find one I wanted to watch. What a waste of bandwidth.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,889 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:37 AM

Glad I read your silly diatribe so I found out that Oliver! is on next month. Terrific movie that I have not seen in HD yet.

BTW, didn't know that the CENTURY a movie was made in made it a good or bad movie. Nice to know that movies made in this century are so much better than those made in the last one. I guess I am going to have to rethink my opinion on the Star Wars movies. The newer ones *must be* better.

Think that's bad, one of the best movies I've ever seen isn't even a talkie. Don't think I'd laughed so hard during a movie in a long time, as I did when I rented The General. What's sad is when someone won't watch something because it's in B&W, or saying it's a waste of a Blu-ray. An old B&W movie, properly restored etc, can look fantastic in HD. The resolution is there, even if it isn't widescreen.

Makes me feel kind of old, liking old movies made in the 80's or 90's, in the last century. I'll take Back to the Future over Hot Tub Time Machine any day.

spam firewall