Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sony Movie channel HD is live now

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:47 PM

So this channel is part of the HD Extra Pack (not part of the ol' sk00l HD Courtesy Pack I assume)? major lolz... paying good money to watch GhostBusters on TV in 2010.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

So this channel is part of the HD Extra Pack (not part of the ol' sk00l HD Courtesy Pack I assume)? major lolz... paying good money to watch GhostBusters on TV in 2010.

I think it was pointed out that with this channel added the cost per month for it in the extra pack works out to be about $.63.

Which means the cost of watching a 2 hour movie on the channel would run ya about $.00175

I guess it would add up to real money sooner or later, but?????:lol:

#53 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:41 PM

I think it was pointed out that with this channel added the cost per month for it in the extra pack works out to be about $.63.

Which means the cost of watching a 2 hour movie on the channel would run ya about $.00175

I guess it would add up to real money sooner or later, but?????:lol:

Yeah, I saw the $.63c figure :). I dunno... I saw we had a Starz free preview a few weeks ago and I scanned the ENTIRE 3 day schedule and couldn't find a single thing to watch. And I like movies. A lot. I guess I just usually watch movies "right away", so by the time they get to these movie channels, they're old news.

But hey, $0.00175 to watch Ghostbusters in 2010? Kind of pricey to be honest with you! lolz. Not that Ghostbusters wasn't a good movie, but still.

#54 OFFLINE   JJJBBB

JJJBBB

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

i like muppets... and they take manhattan, been waiting ages to see this in HD. Break out the popcorn and tissues for sure tonight!

Edited by JJJBBB, 18 October 2010 - 03:04 PM.
ehh?

NATIONAL HD... I want it all, I want it now. I've been really patient. (Will dance for more HD :stickman:)

#55 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,416 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

On for several hours...old news. :lol:

First time I've heard of it. :rolleyes:

I'll have to check it out when I get home tonight.

:lol: DirecTV adds new HD channel, they get bitched at. They don't add a new HD channel, they get bitched at :lol: Endless source of amusement for me, even better than watching TV, is watching the snits on this board.

:biggthump

Edited by Draconis, 18 October 2010 - 03:08 PM.

#56 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,130 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:20 PM

Great, isn't it so exciting to welcome Sony to D*!- NOT :nono2:. This month's featured movies are Dick & Ghostbusters II. Let me make some popcorn. Wow, what year are we in? It gets better, can you guess what movies premier next month? The Natural, Oliver, Multiplicity and The Muppets Take Manhattan. Ok, to be fair more old-ass lame movies premier next month along with these, but I couldn't stomach the urge to type any more of these garbage films. We already have plenty of crap channels, but D* goes, what's one more to throw at us to alleviate the upcoming rise in fees.

I know, I know, people are going to disagree and say this is like the Lord's second coming. That's because you're used to mediocre garbage and you think it's cool to add another channel to the HD number even though it's as relevant as an infomercial channel in regards to how much time you're going to spend watching it.

I don't know about you, I'll stick with watching new things that are current with this century. These old films, are well old and non seem to be blockbusters that would solicit a second watch.

This is a complete waste of space, air, channel, and my time writing this post. How about a national HD channel for goodness sakes.

Disclaimer - This is one person's opinion. Those who are thrilled about this channel, ENJOY! Those who would rather have a new national HD channel, get stoked about the upcoming hike in programming fees because this Sony channel ain't freee!

Out of curiosity what type of programing would you have prefered?

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#57 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:06 PM

I'm not a fan of most of the newer movies. I've never watched any of the 3D ones for example, I've never seen Avatar or had a desire to do so.

One of the best movies I've seen in years and you don't have any desire to see it? You don't know what you're missing.

When I was younger I used to watch the old Classic silent movies with a piano accompaniment on one of the local PBS Channels, I do not remember which one of the three it was unfortunately. I used to look forward to that night for them.

I used to watch them too. And I couldn't understand why. For the most part, with few exceptions, I really thought the silent movies were terrible.
That goes for any movie in black and white, too. Even after color movies were out, when we went to the movies and the feature was in B&W we were terribly disappointed. At that time, color movies were more expensive to make and you rarely got good B&W movies. I think.

If I had youngsters in the house I'd be all over that Muppet movie.
Cheers

We must live on different planets. Go see Avatar and tell me you didn't like it.

Rich

#58 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,667 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

One of the best movies I've seen in years and you don't have any desire to see it? You don't know what you're missing.

Saw 10 minutes at Best Buy.

Dont need Cameron shoving his anti-war propoganda in my face for 2.5 hours.

#59 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

So basically this is a paid version of the Sony on demand content that had been free for the past year or so (on channel 1000 that you can really only sort online, because channel 1000 is the dvr's entry point for dod)?

#60 OFFLINE   SPECIES11703

SPECIES11703

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:54 PM

I didn't know it was on 25 hrs a day!:D

Sony Movie channel HD is live now on CH 563.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2010-10-18 16.44.02.jpg

DirecTV Customer since 4/2000, VERIZON FIOSTV CUSTOMER
DirecTV HR23-100, FIOS HD DVR
R15-500 (2) R15-300 (1) DirecTV Tivo (2)
HDTV SAMSUNG 46" LN46B550K
INTERNET PROVIDER: VERIZON FIOS 35/35

#61 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:20 PM

Movies on the channel are unedited, commercial free, and OAR.

#62 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

We must live on different planets. Go see Avatar and tell me you didn't like it.

Rich

I saw it years ago under its original name...Dances with Wolves. Same story, better acting.
DTV = Digital Television

#63 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,269 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:08 PM

I saw it years ago under its original name...Dances with Wolves. Same story, better acting.

Don't forget the animated version...Disney's Pocahontas.

uGOCodaM4UM

Edited by sigma1914, 18 October 2010 - 07:08 PM.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#64 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:14 PM

Watched a movie on Sony on demand. The Comic with Dick VanDyke. Solid film. I guess TCM has aired it, but it's never been on DVD, so it was nice to see it in HD.
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#65 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,882 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

FWIW, none of the movies on Sony On Demand are in SMC this month.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#66 OFFLINE   MikeR7

MikeR7

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

I like Sony Movie Channel. :rolling:

#67 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,882 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:33 PM

Don't think I'd laughed so hard during a movie in a long time, as I did when I rented The General.

The General is terrific.

Way back in 1980 (30 years ago???), I rented a projector and checked the FILM of The General out of the public library for a surprise birthday party for my best friend in college. A wonderful memory and a helluva film.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#68 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:49 PM

Don't forget the animated version...Disney's Pocahontas.

uGOCodaM4UM

Haha. Thanks for the video. Very funny, yet true. While I do have Avatar on BD...it is purely for PQ and AQ purposes only. One of my main issues was Sam Worthington's horrible accent. He can't seem to decide what his nationality is from scene to scene. Here is a great read about how he makes every non-Australian character he plays...Australian. http://www.cracked.c...am-worthington/
DTV = Digital Television

#69 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,619 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

This thread is about the SonyHD channel. Good, bad or indifferent. It’s not about being a fan of the SonyHD channel. One poster expresses their opinion, now they’re not “playing nice”? Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we got SonyHD. I cannot wait to check it out once I get home. In fact, I thanked DIRECTV for this channel in the anticipation thread. We should let people express their opinion even if it’s not pro DIRECTV. That is what makes DBSTALK such a cool place. Peace Smiddy.

Now, to stay on topic :D, is SonyHD 720p or 1080i?

I can't argue with your logic, you're spot on. I suppose I needed to chill a bit. :D

I still haven't checked the channel out yet. :)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#70 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,619 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:39 PM

Smiddy, I respectfully disagree... should I start another thread to say that? To have a thread where everyone agrees would be painfully boring, something like

+1
+1
+1
+1

It's the discussion, agreement, debate, disagreement, differences of opinion and the back-and-forth on a topic that makes most threads, and this board in general, interesting. I don't believe that is inconsistent with 'playing nice' with each other, is it? After all, if we can all agree that when we do disagree, to do so agreeably. On any given topic, where there are different views, let us not separate our opinions into pro and con threads, but rather, enjoy a spirited exchange of ideas?

I can't argue with you either. I must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed or something. When I reread it it doesn't get to me like it did this morning. :nono:
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#71 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:47 PM

I can't argue with your logic, you're spot on. I suppose I needed to chill a bit. :D

I still haven't checked the channel out yet. :)

It's all good. Watching SonyHD right now. Quality looks great. Peace

#72 OFFLINE   jurples

jurples

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:46 PM

Movies on the channel are unedited, commercial free, and OAR.

these words are like music to my ears. if one movie a month turns up on there that i want to see, then this channel will be worth more to me than all the ones who think it's okay to broadcast their abominable hatchet jobs.

#73 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:14 AM

Saw 10 minutes at Best Buy.

Dont need Cameron shoving his anti-war propoganda in my face for 2.5 hours.

Maybe you'll like the remake where they wipe out all the natives and turn the planet into a barren wasteland.:lol:

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#74 OFFLINE   cebbigh

cebbigh

Icon

• Registered
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:16 AM

I want a national channel TCM so I can watch all of the great OLD movies.

TCMHD would be great. Even if it meant putting it in a more expensive package. Sony was a good add but it's only there because of the way it can be packaged.
Chuck
TV: Mitsubishi 57" 1080p DLP (WD-Y577)
DTV: HR20-100 & HR21-700
BLU-RAY (Panasonic BD-35)
Netflix/Roku player

#75 OFFLINE   TerryB

TerryB

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:01 AM

I can't find SonyHD and its channel number as a selection choice (grayed or not) to make on building my favorites list. Since I have DVR recordings set to start I couldn't do any testing or Sat. signal checking. What else would cause the channel to not exist?

Thanks,
TerryB

Protected By... spam firewall...And...