Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sony Movie channel HD is live now

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Cpt Guavaberry

Cpt Guavaberry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:30 AM

personally i want to thank directv for adding this channel. i am a movie lover and to see a new hd movie channel is gold in my eyes. Not everyone watches sports all the time. Hopefully they add epix in the future. i too would like to see bbca, amc, fox movie channel and tcm in hd. thanks directv....

Now I'm truly disappointed. All this time, I thought everyone watched sports at every opportunity. :nono: Really? D* has more movie channels available? When would I have time to watch them?:rolling:
LOWER THE LATTITUDE....
....LOWER THE ATTITUDE!
RELAX....LIVE LONGER !

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

Smiddy, I respectfully disagree... should I start another thread to say that? To have a thread where everyone agrees would be painfully boring, something like

+1
+1
+1
+1

It's the discussion, agreement, debate, disagreement, differences of opinion and the back-and-forth on a topic that makes most threads, and this board in general, interesting. I don't believe that is inconsistent with 'playing nice' with each other, is it? After all, if we can all agree that when we do disagree, to do so agreeably. On any given topic, where there are different views, let us not separate our opinions into pro and con threads, but rather, enjoy a spirited exchange of ideas?

Couldn't agree more. This forum and AVS are among the most genteel forums I have visited. Try a baseball forum and you'd be amazed at the rudeness and crudeness of the members.

Without dissent what's the point? We'd be like sheep. This country came to be because of open dissent.

Rich

#43 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

I'm with you guys.

I rarely see any decent movies on the movie channels.

Of course everyone has their own subjective tastes, but can I please get some 'Coming to America', 'Trading Places', 'Beverly Hills Cop' :D

I can only take so much 'XXX' (Vin Diesel flick, get your minds out of the gutter :lol:) and 'Step Brothers'

I've seriously considered canceling my Premier Package. Just because of the redundant content. The only excuse I have for keeping it is the various series such as Dexter, et al.

I just watched Spartacus, Blood and Sand on NetFlix and it was much better than watching it on Starz. Not sure why, perhaps the better PQ, but it was definitely a better experience.

Rich

#44 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

Checked the guide and there is nothing I care to watch at least for the next 14 days.

Disappointing, no?

Rich

#45 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 581 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

Well, I guess a kibble is better than nothing.

#46 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:47 AM

If someone has an issue with a particular channel being added by DirecTV, they should direct their angst towards DirecTV. This would be more productive than complaining to members in a thread who are simply reporting that a channel has been added. Basically, don't shoot the messenger. If you want to complain, but cannot be bothered to let your provider know that or change providers...then you must like to hear yourself complain.
DTV = Digital Television

#47 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

How about a national HD channel for goodness sakes.

...Sony Movie Channel is a national HD channel. :rolleyes:
DTV = Digital Television

#48 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,663 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:50 AM

:lol: DirecTV adds new HD channel, they get bitched at. They don't add a new HD channel, they get bitched at :lol: Endless source of amusement for me, even better than watching TV, is watching the snits on this board.

Well, this one channel will cost you about $0.63. You get eight HD-only channels for a mere $4.99. If you don't want it, don't pay for it. A great value though.

Well, I guess a kibble is better than nothing.

If someone has an issue with a particular channel being added by DirecTV, they should direct their angst toward DirecTV. This would be more productive than complaining to members in a thread who are simply reporting that a channel has been added. Basically, don't shoot the messenger. If you want to complain, but cannot be bothered to let your provider know that or change providers...then you must like to hear yourself complain.

Interesting to see the feedback posts every time ANY new HD channel is added.

Deja Vu. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#49 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:13 PM

Looks fine on this end 1080I Doby 5.1 watchable movies,it must be a Hdextra pack addition it's in that area.

#50 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:45 PM

No problem adding it here.

As opposed to the normal practice, I sure hope Sony is paying DirecTV to air this channel. I looked through the movies for as far forward as my guide would go (maybe a week). I couldn't find one I wanted to watch. What a waste of bandwidth.

I've seen things there worth watching. Some that I may watch for the better HD picture as I watched or have them on VHS or Beta Max.

I'm not a fan of most of the newer movies. I've never watched any of the 3D ones for example, I've never seen Avatar or had a desire to do so.

Think that's bad, one of the best movies I've ever seen isn't even a talkie. Don't think I'd laughed so hard during a movie in a long time, as I did when I rented The General. What's sad is when someone won't watch something because it's in B&W, or saying it's a waste of a Blu-ray. An old B&W movie, properly restored etc, can look fantastic in HD. The resolution is there, even if it isn't wide-screen.

Makes me feel kind of old, liking old movies made in the 80's or 90's, in the last century. I'll take Back to the Future over Hot Tub Time Machine any day.

When I was younger I used to watch the old Classic silent movies with a piano accompaniment on one of the local PBS Channels, I do not remember which one of the three it was unfortunately. I used to look forward to that night for them.

Enjoy the Sony Movie Channel and if you don't want to watch it, be nice and don't dump on those that do. That sounds like the if it isn't Wide-screen I'm not interested type of person that caused Stretch-O-Vision.

If I had youngsters in the house I'd be all over that Muppet movie.
Cheers

Edited by TBoneit, 18 October 2010 - 12:46 PM.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#51 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:47 PM

So this channel is part of the HD Extra Pack (not part of the ol' sk00l HD Courtesy Pack I assume)? major lolz... paying good money to watch GhostBusters on TV in 2010.

#52 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

So this channel is part of the HD Extra Pack (not part of the ol' sk00l HD Courtesy Pack I assume)? major lolz... paying good money to watch GhostBusters on TV in 2010.

I think it was pointed out that with this channel added the cost per month for it in the extra pack works out to be about $.63.

Which means the cost of watching a 2 hour movie on the channel would run ya about $.00175

I guess it would add up to real money sooner or later, but?????:lol:

#53 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:41 PM

I think it was pointed out that with this channel added the cost per month for it in the extra pack works out to be about $.63.

Which means the cost of watching a 2 hour movie on the channel would run ya about $.00175

I guess it would add up to real money sooner or later, but?????:lol:

Yeah, I saw the $.63c figure :). I dunno... I saw we had a Starz free preview a few weeks ago and I scanned the ENTIRE 3 day schedule and couldn't find a single thing to watch. And I like movies. A lot. I guess I just usually watch movies "right away", so by the time they get to these movie channels, they're old news.

But hey, $0.00175 to watch Ghostbusters in 2010? Kind of pricey to be honest with you! lolz. Not that Ghostbusters wasn't a good movie, but still.

#54 OFFLINE   JJJBBB

JJJBBB

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

i like muppets... and they take manhattan, been waiting ages to see this in HD. Break out the popcorn and tissues for sure tonight!

Edited by JJJBBB, 18 October 2010 - 03:04 PM.
ehh?

NATIONAL HD... I want it all, I want it now. I've been really patient. (Will dance for more HD :stickman:)

#55 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

On for several hours...old news. :lol:

First time I've heard of it. :rolleyes:

I'll have to check it out when I get home tonight.

:lol: DirecTV adds new HD channel, they get bitched at. They don't add a new HD channel, they get bitched at :lol: Endless source of amusement for me, even better than watching TV, is watching the snits on this board.

:biggthump

Edited by Draconis, 18 October 2010 - 03:08 PM.

#56 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,613 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:20 PM

Great, isn't it so exciting to welcome Sony to D*!- NOT :nono2:. This month's featured movies are Dick & Ghostbusters II. Let me make some popcorn. Wow, what year are we in? It gets better, can you guess what movies premier next month? The Natural, Oliver, Multiplicity and The Muppets Take Manhattan. Ok, to be fair more old-ass lame movies premier next month along with these, but I couldn't stomach the urge to type any more of these garbage films. We already have plenty of crap channels, but D* goes, what's one more to throw at us to alleviate the upcoming rise in fees.

I know, I know, people are going to disagree and say this is like the Lord's second coming. That's because you're used to mediocre garbage and you think it's cool to add another channel to the HD number even though it's as relevant as an infomercial channel in regards to how much time you're going to spend watching it.

I don't know about you, I'll stick with watching new things that are current with this century. These old films, are well old and non seem to be blockbusters that would solicit a second watch.

This is a complete waste of space, air, channel, and my time writing this post. How about a national HD channel for goodness sakes.

Disclaimer - This is one person's opinion. Those who are thrilled about this channel, ENJOY! Those who would rather have a new national HD channel, get stoked about the upcoming hike in programming fees because this Sony channel ain't freee!

Out of curiosity what type of programing would you have prefered?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#57 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:06 PM

I'm not a fan of most of the newer movies. I've never watched any of the 3D ones for example, I've never seen Avatar or had a desire to do so.

One of the best movies I've seen in years and you don't have any desire to see it? You don't know what you're missing.

When I was younger I used to watch the old Classic silent movies with a piano accompaniment on one of the local PBS Channels, I do not remember which one of the three it was unfortunately. I used to look forward to that night for them.

I used to watch them too. And I couldn't understand why. For the most part, with few exceptions, I really thought the silent movies were terrible.
That goes for any movie in black and white, too. Even after color movies were out, when we went to the movies and the feature was in B&W we were terribly disappointed. At that time, color movies were more expensive to make and you rarely got good B&W movies. I think.

If I had youngsters in the house I'd be all over that Muppet movie.
Cheers

We must live on different planets. Go see Avatar and tell me you didn't like it.

Rich

#58 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

One of the best movies I've seen in years and you don't have any desire to see it? You don't know what you're missing.

Saw 10 minutes at Best Buy.

Dont need Cameron shoving his anti-war propoganda in my face for 2.5 hours.

#59 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

So basically this is a paid version of the Sony on demand content that had been free for the past year or so (on channel 1000 that you can really only sort online, because channel 1000 is the dvr's entry point for dod)?

#60 OFFLINE   SPECIES11703

SPECIES11703

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:54 PM

I didn't know it was on 25 hrs a day!:D

Sony Movie channel HD is live now on CH 563.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2010-10-18 16.44.02.jpg

DirecTV Customer since 4/2000, VERIZON FIOSTV CUSTOMER
DirecTV HR23-100, FIOS HD DVR
R15-500 (2) R15-300 (1) DirecTV Tivo (2)
HDTV SAMSUNG 46" LN46B550K
INTERNET PROVIDER: VERIZON FIOS 35/35

spam firewall