Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sony Movie channel HD is live now

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

I like the Sony movie channel ,decent movies,nice pq ,DD5.1 and 1080i.I already seen all the movies that i watched before but didn't bother me to see them again.

#142 OFFLINE   steinmeg

steinmeg

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

hdtvfan0001:

You might be right that it is being broadcasting in 1080i, I am not disputing that, but:
1. Not one movie is in HD ( yes I know they are old movies)
2. HDNet Movies also shows old movies , and they are all in HD. Prime example: Towering Inferno, an old movie looked sensational in HD
Sony might be broadcasting in 1080i, but the picture quality stinks.....

Edited by steinmeg, 21 October 2010 - 03:44 PM.

#143 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,674 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:41 PM

hdtvfan0001:

You might be right that it is being broadcasting in 1080i, I am not disputing that, but:
1. Not one movie is in HD ( yes I know they are old movies)
2. HDNet Movies also shows old movies , and they are all in HD. Prime example: Towering Inferno, an old movie looked sensational in HD
Sony might be broadcasting in 1080i, but the picture quality stinks.....

Fact is many movies are shot in 35MM or other size film media (especially those from "yesteryear").

Another fact is that many of those formats are actually a higher resolution than today's HD. For that reason, they can be digitized and presented on Blu ray or broadcast in HD, and look amazing.

I've seen numerous classic movies from 30,40, and even 50 years ago...and they never looked better.

Specific to Sony Movie Channel...

I have now watched over a dozen programs, and there is little doubt that they have a mixed bag of original source content - some has been great HD presentations while the program I looked at about an hour ago looked near-SD quality...certainly not HD.

It comes down to how they want to do the digital presentations. In the case of HDNet - they seem to insist on 99% high-quality imagery, Sony Movie Channel seems to (so far) accept a mixed bag of image quality presentations.

I don't believe one could make any kind of generalized statement that its always great or always poor, without mis-stating the facts.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#144 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:37 PM

I Agree Wholeheartedly as those are my sentiments also!!!

Fact is many movies are shot in 35MM or other size film media (especially those from "yesteryear").

Another fact is that many of those formats are actually a higher resolution than today's HD. For that reason, they can be digitized and presented on Blu ray or broadcast in HD, and look amazing.

I've seen numerous classic movies from 30,40, and even 50 years ago...and they never looked better.

Specific to Sony Movie Channel...

I have now watched over a dozen programs, and there is little doubt that they have a mixed bag of original source content - some has been great HD presentations while the program I looked at about an hour ago looked near-SD quality...certainly not HD.

It comes down to how they want to do the digital presentations. In the case of HDNet - they seem to insist on 99% high-quality imagery, Sony Movie Channel seems to (so far) accept a mixed bag of image quality presentations.

I don't believe one could make any kind of generalized statement that its always great or always poor, without mis-stating the facts.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#145 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

I am not sure why CC is mandatory on SD broadcasts (within the allowed age of the program) and not for HD.

Closed-captioning is normally required on HD, same as SD. However, there's an exemption for "new channels" -- they're not required to caption programming for their first four years of existence.

That said...I would strongly suggest contacting SMC and expressing your displeasure with the fact that they're not captioning their programming. (It's not like this is a channel being run by a small startup company -- Sony definitely has the resources to have the programming on this channel closed-captioned.)
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#146 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,854 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

Since I already subscribe to HD Extra Pack, I thought I'd take a look at the new Sony Movie Channel this morning.

I'm auditing The Fisher King right now and the video quality is absolutely stunning, and the DD 5.1 appears to be operating properly.

The movie looks very "Coen Brotheresque", so I'm going to record it when it comes on next week.

If this movie is typical of the offerings on this channel, I'll be very pleased with its addition.

Edited by hasan, 22 October 2010 - 04:16 PM.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#147 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,674 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

Since I already subscribe to HD Extra Pack, I thought I'd take a look at the new Sony Movie Channel this morning.

I'm auditing Charm School (2007) right now and the video quality is absolutely stunning, and the DD 5.1 appears to be operating properly.

The movie looks very "Coen Brotheresque", so I'm going to record it when it comes on next week.

If this movie is typical of the offerings on this channel, I'll be very pleased with its addition.

Happened upon it too....looked very solid here as well.

This supports the comments I made earlier that most content in crisp and clean HD...with a few stragglers being softer or not great HD being the "exception". A very few posters seemed to make it sound like the HD on this new channel was "terrible" or "poor".

#148 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:25 PM

Glad to see the new addition. I know some here arent all to happy about it, but at least its not another HD PPV channel. :lol:
HR24-100
FIOS - Phone & 25/25 internet

#149 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

Just gutted the Graduate after a few minutes. What's funny is the film starts in OAR, then w/ flick of light switch in seen w/his dad it goes to hell. I'll wait for it on HDNET in November.
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#150 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:50 PM

Just gutted the Graduate after a few minutes. What's funny is the film starts in OAR, then w/ flick of light switch in seen w/his dad it goes to hell. I'll wait for it on HDNET in November.

Yep, they do that so the opening credits don't get cropped.
DTV = Digital Television

#151 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:02 AM

Yep, they do that so the opening credits don't get cropped.

That always gets my hopes up. They there's the big letdown as soon as the credits end.
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#152 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

Now showing "The Remains of the Day", with great cast, direction, locations, picture and sound quality.
Greg

#153 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,674 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

Now showing "The Remains of the Day", with great cast, direction, locations, picture and sound quality.

Thanks...yes...that's a good flick.

#154 OFFLINE   DMRI2006

DMRI2006

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

When HDNet aired it in 2.35, in the exact same master that was released on Blu-Ray.

...and you know this how exactly?

What's your deal with the sarcasm? I know it because I'VE SEEN THEM. Is that so crazy to believe? lol. (And I actually review Blu-Rays and DVDs so I actually have some idea what I'm talking about).

It's the same master. It has the same logos at the beginning. It looks identical. It's composed exactly the same way. It doesn't look like a blurry mess like the Sony Movie Channel master that looks like it's literally from over a decade ago.

You don't exactly need to be Sherlock Holmes or an "insider at blu-ray.com" to deduce that.

#155 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:03 PM

What's your deal with the sarcasm? I know it because I'VE SEEN THEM. Is that so crazy to believe? lol. (And I actually review Blu-Rays and DVDs so I actually have some idea what I'm talking about).

It's the same master. It has the same logos at the beginning. It looks identical. It's composed exactly the same way. It doesn't look like a blurry mess like the Sony Movie Channel master that looks like it's literally from over a decade ago.

You don't exactly need to be Sherlock Holmes or an "insider at blu-ray.com" to deduce that.

...then you're guessing. Just say that next time. You do not know that it is the same master. The logos at the beginning do not indicate that you are looking at the same master. Your visual inspection is simply not adequate either. Who do you review for?
DTV = Digital Television

#156 OFFLINE   Lethargic

Lethargic

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:04 PM

I looked at the channel the first day it came on but didn't check it out again until yesterday and now the channel is gone and I get the I haven't bought the channel message.

#157 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:23 PM

I looked at the channel the first day it came on but didn't check it out again until yesterday and now the channel is gone and I get the I haven't bought the channel message.

Do you have the HD Extra Pack? Are the other channels around it live (Smith, UHD)? If so, sounds like you need to refresh services.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall