Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622 Remote Not Working, sometimes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   festivus

festivus

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:14 AM

This is my TV1 remote, 5.3 I think. In the last week or so it's very slow to switch from controlling my surround to the TV. I hit the SAT button or the TV button and it won't turn the TV on. Sometimes takes me 2 or 3 times to get the TV to power on. Same with controlling the TV volume.

It seems to control the surround and the 622 without issue.

I'm not getting the weak battery message.

TV is a panny plasma.
Panasonic TCP50S1 50 inch plasma in great room, Dish VIP622, Pioneer Surround System

Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector in basement, 106 inch gray screen, 2nd Dish VIP622. LG Surround System

db2 antennna in attic for both VIP622s

Time Warner Roadrunner

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. ~Carl Sagan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:55 AM

The most likely cause of any problems with an IR remote is IR interference. It's a very, very common problem, but tends to be more of a problem in dark rooms and with high-contrast content. It is most often a problem when you first turn on the TV, until the TV warms up (5-15 minutes).

The solution is usually to either block the IR light being put out by the TV, or moving the receiver further away from the TV. Turning on lights in the room also helps because the automatic gain for the IR sensor makes the sensor less sensitive.

#3 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

to me that sounds like the remote buttons are dieing. If you are on the service plan just call up for a new one. Or buy one. IMHO it isn't worth the aggravation of having a wonky remote. They are not very expensive.

I'm having a similar problem with channel up/down and volume on one of the living room remotes. I keep forgetting to bring up the spare new remote still sealed in plastic from the basement to replace it.

Good Luck
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#4 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:00 AM

The most likely cause of any problems with an IR remote is IR interference. It's a very, very common problem, but tends to be more of a problem in dark rooms and with high-contrast content. It is most often a problem when you first turn on the TV, until the TV warms up (5-15 minutes).

The solution is usually to either block the IR light being put out by the TV, or moving the receiver further away from the TV. Turning on lights in the room also helps because the automatic gain for the IR sensor makes the sensor less sensitive.

it can't be IR interference from the TV since it is happening when the OP tries to turn on the TV. Plus I suspect that Plasma TVs don't cause that?
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

Plasmas absolutely DO cause IR interference.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#6 OFFLINE   festivus

festivus

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:41 PM

Well, I'm home now. TV was on for over an hour and I hit SAT and tried to change the volume on the TV. Hit the volume a few times and nothing was happening. Next thing I knew the AUX button starts lighting up and it's changing the volume on the surround.

I tried it now and it's working like it's supposed to work.:confused:

I'm guessing that it's the remote screwing up. I'll check if I have some type of service plan.

Edited by festivus, 18 October 2010 - 04:41 PM.

Panasonic TCP50S1 50 inch plasma in great room, Dish VIP622, Pioneer Surround System

Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector in basement, 106 inch gray screen, 2nd Dish VIP622. LG Surround System

db2 antennna in attic for both VIP622s

Time Warner Roadrunner

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. ~Carl Sagan

spam firewall