Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AM-21 OTA San Francisco Issues

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:45 AM

After installing a new outside antenna with a rotor yesterday to my am-21 box. I had discovered that one of the OTA channels is broadcasting MGM "This", 42.3, programs for free.
Also I had noticed that zip2.com(?) no longer showing the x.y sub channels. So my question is where is Directv getting the OTA Guide info? Directv is still not showing OTA virtual channels 1-1 thru 1-13.
I just ordered a second am-21 and when I was talking to CSR she sounded that she did not wanted to sell me one. Maybe they are encourage on not selling an am-21?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

DirecTV gets its guide information from Media Services. So check their website to see if the channel is listed.
The website is http://zap2It.com

Did you check your account on the DirecTV website to see if the AM21 is available to you. I think if you have another HR2x on your account the AM21 should show.

Edited by jdspencer, 18 October 2010 - 11:46 AM.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:36 PM

Thank you for correcting me on the web page name. I have checked the web page with the following information, Directv San Francisco, and enter zip code 94070. There are no listing for the x.y sub channels, 22.2, 22,3, 42.2,42.3 and others. I am confused.

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:53 PM

Somewhere on the Zap2It website is a place to send an email requesting that the subchannels be added.
Your locals should also get an email asking them to send guide data to Media Services
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:29 PM

My guess is that 1.1 and its many subchannels might never show up in the DirecTV guide. DirecTV has been removing many low-power stations from the data because it was getting too large and was slowing down the receivers. 1.1 KAXT has twelve (yes, TWELVE) subchannels for video and I believe three for audio, it must need a guide all to itself.

#6 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,478 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:54 AM

Thank you for correcting me on the web page name. I have checked the web page with the following information, Directv San Francisco, and enter zip code 94070. There are no listing for the x.y sub channels, 22.2, 22,3, 42.2,42.3 and others. I am confused.

When you select any "DirecTV" listing on Zap2It, it will only list the channels you can get via satellite. To see the channels you can get through the AM-21, including the subchannels, you need to select "Broadcast (Antenna)."
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#7 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:03 AM

I did a scan for a relative in Phoenix this weekend and picked up a total of 44 digital channels (including subs). I wonder how many channels the top 25 markets have.

#8 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:16 PM

Found an another issue with the am-21 box. The issue is powering off/on via remote control. The am-21 will power off if it is connected to a DVR receiver. But if is connected to a NON DVR receiver the am-21 will NOT power off. D" tech support had mentioned that the AM-21 is not fully "integrated" to a non dvr box. I have a hard time that this was not fix. FYI I am able to receive OTA with no problems on the non-dvr receiver.

#9 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,172 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

After installing a new outside antenna with a rotor yesterday to my am-21 box. I had discovered that one of the OTA channels is broadcasting MGM "This", 42.3, programs for free.
Also I had noticed that zip2.com(?) no longer showing the x.y sub channels. So my question is where is Directv getting the OTA Guide info? Directv is still not showing OTA virtual channels 1-1 thru 1-13.
I just ordered a second am-21 and when I was talking to CSR she sounded that she did not wanted to sell me one. Maybe they are encourage on not selling an am-21?

i got one for free about a month ago.

#10 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:51 PM

There was an issue for a few weeks if I recall for 42.3 (This TV) there was discussion taking place on AVSFourm. They were having a problem with their data being sent correctly. 42.3 went live a few months ago without much fanfare. It's being broadcast from Mt. Diablo and I am pretty sure is the only channel currently being broadcast from atop Mt. Diablo. Channel 22.2 and 22.3 are sub channels for PBS out of Cotati, 22.3 is actually just a simulcast of their radio station playing music.

#11 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:16 PM

I did a scan for a relative in Phoenix this weekend and picked up a total of 44 digital channels (including subs). I wonder how many channels the top 25 markets have.

Atlanta is DMA #8 and my TV scans 42 OTA "channels". A lot of those are sub-channels, low power, etc.

FWIW, Phoenix is DMA #12.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...