Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Defecting from dish

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:56 AM

How much HD content (not stretched or up converted but true 720p or 1080i HD) is actually shown on Cooking, DIY, E!, G4, ID, History Int'l, HLN, AMC, and BBCA channels?

Quite a bit, at least recent stuff. AMC is probably the worst, but it still bets the heck out of SD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tmo1138

tmo1138

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

I was a E* Customer for 12 years. Honestly I really thought long and hard about moving to D*. I mean.. I figured it's a lot of work to move providers... get new equipment installed, yank old equipment off, etc.

But here's why I ultimately switched:

When E* had it's dispute with Fisher Broadcasting - I got it. Totally understood it and supported it. Fisher was just asking too much. They own their airspace from grandfathered contracts for all the bandwidth their stations bought decades earlier.. they're paid by their parent networks to carry content, they get revenue for ads. They have a huge profit potential. IF I was the CEO of Fisher I would have done anything short of paying Ergen to pick up all of my channels and fit them anywhere on his network.. the potential of 12 million more customers seeing my programing? Worth it.

Then came the disputes with Disney, causing the quiet dropping of several HD channels (like Disney XD HD, etc). And now Fox..

Enough is enough.

So I switched to D* and I couldn't possibly be happier. Yea there's some HD content on D* that's not on E* but really.. it's overall a great system. And I'm sure they'll keep expanding their HD channel lineup.

#23 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:40 AM

Business is booming for DirecTV.
DTV = Digital Television

#24 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:45 AM

I was a E* Customer for 12 years. Honestly I really thought long and hard about moving to D*. I mean.. I figured it's a lot of work to move providers... get new equipment installed, yank old equipment off, etc.

But here's why I ultimately switched:

When E* had it's dispute with Fisher Broadcasting - I got it. Totally understood it and supported it. Fisher was just asking too much. They own their airspace from grandfathered contracts for all the bandwidth their stations bought decades earlier.. they're paid by their parent networks to carry content, they get revenue for ads. They have a huge profit potential. IF I was the CEO of Fisher I would have done anything short of paying Ergen to pick up all of my channels and fit them anywhere on his network.. the potential of 12 million more customers seeing my programing? Worth it.

Then came the disputes with Disney, causing the quiet dropping of several HD channels (like Disney XD HD, etc). And now Fox..

Enough is enough.

So I switched to D* and I couldn't possibly be happier. Yea there's some HD content on D* that's not on E* but really.. it's overall a great system. And I'm sure they'll keep expanding their HD channel lineup.

I agree. I was a E* customer as well but got tired of the disputes. I understand Charlie trying to be there for the customer but after a while it gets a bit old. I just want to watch TV. Not be a constant pawn in contract disputes.

#25 OFFLINE   Joe Diver

Joe Diver

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:23 AM

Business is booming for DirecTV.

Yes it is. I'm seeing DirecTV trucks all the time now. Wasn't like this a couple months ago.
DirecTV Premier
NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice
HR24-100 --> Mits WD52628 (HDMI) and Pioneer VSX1015TX (Toslink)
Bose 601 Series 3 Mains, VS100 Center, 301 Series 3 Surrounds.
Apple TV2, Xbox360, PS3

#26 OFFLINE   minigun

minigun

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

My account is paid through toay. I am dropping dish no matter what.
I can go without tv for a few days.
After the current Fox/Dish problems I do not know who to belive.
And I am tired of paying dish 152.00 a month for service.
After the Direct specials drop after 12 months my bill will only go up to 127.

I called dish last night at 9pm to cancel my account.
I got the standard "you are a valued customer,we want to keep you speech" until I had to lie and say that I already had new service installed. 30 sec. later my girlfriend said that the picture went out and there was a "smart card not auth." on the screen.
I guess they decided not to waste any more time on me, so much for being a valued customer.

#27 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:28 AM

I got the standard "you are a valued customer,we want to keep you speech" until I had to lie and say that I already had new service installed. 30 sec. later my girlfriend said that the picture went out and there was a "smart card not auth." on the screen.
I guess they decided not to waste any more time on me, so much for being a valued customer.

Keep us posted on your install. When is it? Today or tomorrow?
DTV = Digital Television

#28 OFFLINE   Joe Diver

Joe Diver

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:38 AM

My guess is they're getting very good at canceling accounts right now.....
DirecTV Premier
NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice
HR24-100 --> Mits WD52628 (HDMI) and Pioneer VSX1015TX (Toslink)
Bose 601 Series 3 Mains, VS100 Center, 301 Series 3 Surrounds.
Apple TV2, Xbox360, PS3

#29 OFFLINE   minigun

minigun

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:39 AM

Keep us posted on your install. When is it? Today or tomorrow?

Noon - 4 today.
I removed all of the old (4+ years) coax and the dish this morning by the time that my GF had breakfast ready.

#30 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:09 AM

Thank God I got my DECA/SWM WHDVR Service all Upgraded because with more and more Dish Defectors coming to Directv along with others wanting WHDVR they are running out of equipment.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#31 OFFLINE   minigun

minigun

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:17 AM

For me the timing is just right.
My last 2 year commitment was up yesterday.
I have been comparing prices for the last several months.
Dish has been going $5 - $10 a month here and there.
The current Fox/Dish mess sealed the deal for me.

#32 OFFLINE   kmcnamara

kmcnamara

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

I'm curious what you thought would happen when you cancelled service? Of course your signal was going to die. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the timing.

I cancelled Dish on Tuesday after 14 years. They tried to entice me to stay by offering me 3 free months of HBO. LOL. She was winding up with all the reasons switching to DTV was a bad idea until I explained that the DTV service was already installed (which it was). She asked if I was under contract and of course I was. At that point the conversation only lasted about 20 more seconds.

Edited by kmcnamara, 22 October 2010 - 10:58 AM.

Hopper w/ Sling, Hopper 2000, 1 Joey

#33 OFFLINE   minigun

minigun

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:08 AM

I'm curious what you thought would happen when you cancelled service? Of course your signal was going to die. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the timing.

I cancelled Dish on Tuesday after 14 years. They tried to entice me to stay by offering me 3 free months of HBO. LOL. She was winding up with all the reasons switching to DTV was a bad idea until I explained that the DTV service was already installed (which it was). She asked if I was under contract and of course I was. At that point the conversation only lasted about 20 more seconds.

I guess I was just amused by her change of tone, like some turned off the "customer service switch".
Anyway the Direct installer called about 5 min. ago, he will be here in 45!:lol:

#34 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

I guess I was just amused by her change of tone, like some turned off the "customer service switch".
Anyway the Direct installer called about 5 min. ago, he will be here in 45!:lol:

Have fun! I hope your install goes well. Experiences seem to be a bit all over the map. I've had nothing but excellent installers over the 15 years I've been with D*. My wife, who isn't much into the the Dish vs. D* thing, actually broke out laughing when a Dish commercial came on last night. I've only heard that derisive a laugh a hand full of times in our 35 years together (fortunately).:)

She is very pleased with the programming we subscribe to, and the functionality of her own DVR. She got quite a kick out of the whole system when I began playing content from her DVR (and my two as well) in our bedroom on an H21-200 receiver.(Whole Home DVR setup).

While I can find plenty of things to nit pick about, overall, the service has been outstanding for the duration. It ain't the cheapest, but it is, in my experience, the very best comprehensive viewing choice. (and I also have NetFlix, which I dearly love, but the video quality isn't anywhere close to what DirecTV offers).

The combo of good programming, excellent equipment in terms of reliability and functionality, along with the wide variety of choices available when coupled with NetFlix makes for an ideal viewing environment.

I hope you enjoy your D* experience as much as we have.

...and if you have access to broadband (at least 3.5 Mbps), consider NetFlix instead of D*'s premium channels, as it is a much better deal, including as many Blu-Rays as you can get back and forth per month in the mail. At our location, we can easily do 6 a month and all the streaming content is a big plus.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#35 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

So, you think you were not a "valued customer" because you called, asked for service to be turned off, and they did it?

Personally, I've had service with both Dish and D* over the years. Both have been fine. I liked DISH for their more reasonable pricing (given my specific programming needs), greater flexibility in programming (DISH had HD only options with JUSt the channels I watch - and D* does not), and at the time of the install I felt their equipment options were superior. I really liked the VIP722 DVR I had (although I felt it was a huge downgrade from TIVO) and found the support to be excellent. Everytime I called with a problem, it was immediately addressed without me having to go through some annoying phone menu.

I switched back to D* because Dish's HD coverage on Center Ice was miserable. I was very worried about the move because I figured the HR24 would not match up to the VIP. I was wrong about that one - I actually like the HR24 quite a bit more than I liked the VIP (although still not as much as I liked my old DirecTIVO boxes) despite missing a few of the VIP's features. The HD content on Center Ice has been excellent, and the overall picture quality and performance is superb. For me, its been a great move. I can't imagine that I'd want to go back to DISH and wish I had made the move earlier.

I think either provider can be a good choice, depending on your individual needs. Competition between the two has led to some nice DVR options and great programming choices.

Edited by E91, 22 October 2010 - 12:28 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   minigun

minigun

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:29 PM

The installer is here now, with 2 HR24-200's!:lol:

#37 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:39 PM

Looks like you are golden! Enjoy your new service!
HR34-700, HR22-100

#38 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:42 PM

Yes, you are GOLDEN!!! Welcome To Directv and DBSTALK.COM!!! :)

Edited by Richierich, 22 October 2010 - 12:42 PM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#39 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:58 PM

Good for you!

#40 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:58 PM

I just wish D* would get AMC (or amc as I see it now) switched to HD before October 31st (when Walking Dead premiers).

Edited by ATARI, 22 October 2010 - 12:59 PM.

spam firewall