Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New to DTV, having problems with Whole Home DVR

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   manny07

manny07

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:33 PM

Hello Fellow Members,

So I finally made the switch to Direct Tv after being with Dish Network for 6 years. I got tired of all the changes that they started to make. Everything is great with the exception of Whole Home DVR. It seems like the Network DVR goes off every other day. I called Directv and all they tell me is to reset the receivers and that should correct the problem. I'm sorry I am not going to be resetting the receivers everyday just for my playlist to show up on each receiver.

I currently have 2 HR24/200 receivers and one H24 HD receivers. I got an extra HD DVR receiver after they did the install because I thought it would correct the problem but it is still happening. The tech that came was really nice and I think he set it up correct but is this something that is going on with other people?

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,804 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:35 PM

Try setting each unit with a static ip address.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,242 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:36 PM

One thing to try is setting up static IP addresses among the receivers. For some reason, sometimes the receivers don't play nice with DHCP addressing and will drop the lease and not renew it correctly. This causes the receiver to drop off the network.

Pick an IP address for each receiver that is outside the DHCP range that your router is using to assign IP addresses. I don't have time to go into detailed steps on setting it up, so if that is too technical for you, someone else here will be happy to help you out.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   manny07

manny07

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

thanks for the quick reply! Would there be instructions here on how to set up static IP addresses for each receiver?

#5 OFFLINE   Chilcoot

Chilcoot

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:55 PM

Until recently, I had the same problem you describe. As the others have suggested, setting up static IP addresses for my 2 DVR plus receiver setup fixed the issue. I wrote about my experience in this thread.

The process for me involved (1) using my router's software, finding three IP addresses outside the DHCP range of the router, and (2) using the receiver's setup screens, assigning one of those static IPs to each of my three receivers (one IP per receiver).

That's as technical as I get, hope it works for you.

#6 OFFLINE   manny07

manny07

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:16 PM

Thank you. This should solve problem.

#7 OFFLINE   changer

changer

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:22 PM

Static IPs fixed the problem for me as well.

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,242 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:31 PM

Glad to hear the issue is resolved.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall