Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Caller ID doesn't work, phone line has static

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jumpyg21

jumpyg21

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:43 PM

Got a new install on Friday with two HR24 HD DVRs and one H24 HD receiver. The installer ran a phone line to the DVR in our family room, but the caller ID hasn't worked at all. I also noticed that our home phone line has static since the install. I did some testing and found the following....

1. When the phone line is plugged into the DVR, there is static on my phone line when I pick up the phone. Unplug it, and the static goes away. Note that the DVR and home phone are NOT plugged into the same jack.

2. I plugged a phone into this family room line to test it and it works fine and caller ID comes up when I call the home phone. So the phone line isn't the issue.

3. Interestingly, the exact same behavior happens if I unplug the phone line from the family room DVR and plug a phone line into the DVR in my bedroom. So, it isn't a particular DVR that is having the problem.

I have U-Verse phone and internet. It seems like some sort of interference problem, but the DirecTV and U-Verse lines come into opposite sides of the house.

Any ideas??? Seems like a classic case where U-Verse and DirecTV will blame each other if I complain. I called DirecTV to have them come out and look at it, but that was before I discovered that the bedroom DVR has the same issue. Two different DVRs, two different phone jacks, same issue. Weird.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:48 PM

Got a new install on Friday with two HR24 HD DVRs and one H24 HD receiver. The installer ran a phone line to the DVR in our family room, but the caller ID hasn't worked at all. I also noticed that our home phone line has static since the install. I did some testing and found the following....

1. When the phone line is plugged into the DVR, there is static on my phone line when I pick up the phone. Unplug it, and the static goes away. Note that the DVR and home phone are NOT plugged into the same jack.

2. I plugged a phone into this family room line to test it and it works fine and caller ID comes up when I call the home phone. So the phone line isn't the issue.

3. Interestingly, the exact same behavior happens if I unplug the phone line from the family room DVR and plug a phone line into the DVR in my bedroom. So, it isn't a particular DVR that is having the problem.

I have U-Verse phone and internet. It seems like some sort of interference problem, but the DirecTV and U-Verse lines come into opposite sides of the house.

Any ideas??? Seems like a classic case where U-Verse and DirecTV will blame each other if I complain. I called DirecTV to have them come out and look at it, but that was before I discovered that the bedroom DVR has the same issue. Two different DVRs, two different phone jacks, same issue. Weird.

Do you have the DSL Filters on those lines? I could be WAAAAY off I am just going off I know out here in KC (without Uverse) you need DSL Filters installed at every phone jack.. If I am wrong someone please correct me

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:52 PM

Do you have the DSL Filters on those lines? I could be WAAAAY off I am just going off I know out here in KC (without Uverse) you need DSL Filters installed at every phone jack.. If I am wrong someone please correct me

Depends how they hooked up DSL. If they ran a dedicated DSL line from your box outside, they would have installed the DSL filter in the box outside. If its piggybacking on your house phone wiring, then you need a filter for every jack in the house.

In any case, I dont think U-verse uses filters. Sounds like the OP has a ground loop issue perhaps, or a defective modem in the receiver. Since he has the same problem on multiple receivers, that pretty much leaves a ground loop as the culprit. OP, make sure the dish is grounded at the point of entry to the house and that the ground wire runs to the SAME ground as the house electrical system (electric meter loop), and that the AT&T U-verse system is grounded to the SAME ground.

Another thing to try is reversing the plug on the receiver (if its not polarized, I dont remember if they are or not).

Then check the U-Verse box, and make sure it is grounded correctly. If all else fails, you might have to leave the phone line disconnected on the sat box and do without caller ID.

Edited by Davenlr, 18 October 2010 - 10:01 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:03 PM

If you need a DSL filter and don't have one you'll get more that just static. You'll get a very annoying noise in the phone.

I'd just leave the phone line unplugged from the DVR if it causes static on the phone line.

#5 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:41 AM

DSL requires filters at each phone and modem location. I had a simular problem with my fathers setup on his HR24.

Caller ID was not functioning, and there was static in the line when the phone was in use until a dsl filter was used behind the receiver. After adding the filter all was well in tv and voice land once again including caller ID on the TV:)

#6 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:18 AM

DSL requires filters at each phone and modem location. I had a simular problem with my fathers setup on his HR24.

Caller ID was not functioning, and there was static in the line when the phone was in use until a dsl filter was used behind the receiver. After adding the filter all was well in tv and voice land once again including caller ID on the TV:)

DSL does not always require a filter at every location. For example, my filter is outside in the box seperating the DSL line from the rest of the lines.

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#7 OFFLINE   jumpyg21

jumpyg21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:21 AM

Thanks for the ideas. As far as U-Verse goes, I don't think it is actually the same as DSL. I had AT&T DSL before and the first thing the U-Verse installer did was remove all of the filters from my phone lines. My phone and internet work great without the filters--it has only been an issue when a phone line is plugged into my DVR. So I'm not sure if that is the issue.

The grounding problem sounds more promising to me. I took a picture of how the DirecTV cable comes into my house. Note that there is only a coax cable coming in from the dish (coming from the left side of the picture). It goes into a splitter and then out with two coax cables. There is a green ground wire connected from the splitter to the cold water pipe next to it. Should there be a ground coming from the dish itself? I dunno, but this doesn't look right to me. I would love to see DirecTV's installation instructions concerning grounding.

I could live without caller ID, but I'd rather see if I can fix this problem.

Posted Image

Edited by jumpyg21, 19 October 2010 - 06:22 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:22 AM

True except in the situation that Davenlr mentioned. I had them install a whole house filter with my DSL. No noise on my line and caller ID works fine.

Depends how they hooked up DSL. If they ran a dedicated DSL line from your box outside, they would have installed the DSL filter in the box outside. If its piggybacking on your house phone wiring, then you need a filter for every jack in the house....

HR34-700, HR22-100

#9 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:32 AM

Ground loop issue...

I almost guarantee that Uverse is grounded near the service entrance at the side of the house...not just grounded off a cold water pipe.

Wait until a real tech sees the pic, but that D* installation is not, IMHO, properly grounded.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#10 OFFLINE   jumpyg21

jumpyg21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:57 AM

Ground loop issue...

I almost guarantee that Uverse is grounded near the service entrance at the side of the house...not just grounded off a cold water pipe.

Wait until a real tech sees the pic, but that D* installation is not, IMHO, properly grounded.

Yeah, the Uverse comes into the house next to the power service on the opposite side of the house as the dish. I'll need to check tonight to see how UVerse is grounded.

Can somebody explain exactly what the "ground loop issue" is? It is a little over my head.

#11 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:09 AM

Ground loop - voltage difference between two grounding points. Disconnect that water pipe ground and see if the noise changes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#12 OFFLINE   jumpyg21

jumpyg21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:42 AM

Okay, I found DirecTV's installation manual. (Won't let me post the URL since I'm a noob.)

There are two things wrong with my setup:
1. There is no ground wire from the dish on my roof to the ground block in my picture above.
2. The ground block needs to be grounded to the cold water pipe right where it comes into my basement.

Looks like DirecTV will have to fix this problem. (I'm sure not climbing on my roof!) Hopefully that clears up the caller ID/phone line static issue. Either way, it needs to be done for safety sake.

Edited by jumpyg21, 19 October 2010 - 08:42 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:25 PM

While you are waiting for the tech disconnect that water pipe ground and see if the noise changes. It's not really so much a safety issue with this low voltage system anyway.
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#14 OFFLINE   jumpyg21

jumpyg21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:03 PM

While you are waiting for the tech disconnect that water pipe ground and see if the noise changes. It's not really so much a safety issue with this low voltage system anyway.

I tried that just now. Same thing--no caller id on the DVR and still static on the phone line. :confused:

So does that mean it is a different issue than the ground loop?

#15 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

I had a strange problem, but it was noise on the tv, not the phone line. Where my power line comes into the house, there are three wires, L1, L2, and N. Ground is connected from the box to the ground rod in the ground. I ran a homerun from the power box to the media closet, with a 15A breaker in the box. What I found was, that the media closet was connected to L1 and N and G (115V). The plug in the wall was connected to L2 and N and G (115V). Whenever I would plug the TV into the wall outlet, I got noise on the TV (all the rest of the A/V equipment was plugged into a UPS in the media closet). After returning several components for exchange, thinking they were bad, the replacements did the same thing, so I looked further. Turned out, if I plugged the TV into the outlet in the media closet via a power strip, on the same branch the rest of the equipment was plugged into, the noise was gone.

I never could figure out why, but somehow, the two N (Neutral) wires were not at the same voltage (with should have been 0 Volts). N to ground was 0 volts. My solution was to make sure ALL interconnected (via coax, phone lines, etc) were all on the same branch 115V circuit.

I never have figured out why it caused noise.

What you MIGHT try, is running your phone line through a grounded (to the electrical ground) surge protector: http://www.officedep...r:referralID=NA or a wireless phone line extension which would isolate the phone line on the DVR from the rest of the phone system: http://www.radioshac...oductId=3908727

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#16 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

The coax from the dish is supposed to be grounded outside before it enters the house.

#17 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:14 AM

Tells me the grounding of the dish/coax isn't likely the issue. Good suggestions above...

I tried that just now. Same thing--no caller id on the DVR and still static on the phone line. :confused:

So does that mean it is a different issue than the ground loop?

#18 OFFLINE   RagingBullFan

RagingBullFan

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:08 AM

Where is your phone line being fed from?

If you have U-Verse Internet and phone, it CANNOT be fed from your home phone lines... The phone feed comes from the universal gateway box (Yellow Ports on the rear of the gateway)....

U-Verse is not like DSL you cannot use filters to get a phone signal on your old phone lines... Everything must come from the UVerse gateway.

#19 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:18 AM

BTW, that's not a splitter. It's a ground block.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#20 OFFLINE   jumpyg21

jumpyg21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:22 AM

Where is your phone line being fed from?

If you have U-Verse Internet and phone, it CANNOT be fed from your home phone lines... The phone feed comes from the universal gateway box (Yellow Ports on the rear of the gateway)....

U-Verse is not like DSL you cannot use filters to get a phone signal on your old phone lines... Everything must come from the UVerse gateway.

Hmm, not sure what you mean here. The U-Verse gateway backfeeds all the phone jacks in the house, doesn't it? I assume I can plug into any of those jacks. Or are you saying something else? FWIW, I'm not using any filters.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...