Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Caller ID doesn't work, phone line has static

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jumpyg21

jumpyg21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

Well, D* is here now and they couldn't fix the caller ID. First, he tried swapping the phone line from the jack to the DVR. Then he tried using a DSL filter, Then he rebooted the unit. After that, the system test showed the phone line was working and he used the DVR to make a call to his cell phone. Then I tried calling the home phone and the caller ID display would still not pop up. He talked to his boss who said that it's AT&T's fault because they periodically "change the frequency" or something on their phone lines. Until AT&T tells D* about this change, the DVR won't work with caller ID. Sounds kind of fishy to me. So I gave up on that.

Now the tech is running new coax+messenger line from the dish to the ground block. Then he's going to have to run #10 wire to the water meter on the other side of the house. He was kind of annoyed that they put the dish on the opposite end of the house as where all the utilities enter. Seems strange, but that's the way the E* tech did it whenever the last owners had it installed. At least I'll have a properly grounded system.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

spam firewall