Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Newbie with questions....Remote Code problems

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sherriebythesea

sherriebythesea

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:47 PM

I just transferred from Direct to Dish a few days ago.
I have a vip722dvr receiver, HD in livingroom and Std in bedroom.

TV1 (living room) is a 42" Vizio with the Dish 5.4 IR remote. I have searched the forum, used all the Vizio codes I could find, did the code search and STILL can't change the tv input. Of course when they did the installation I never thought to check that that function worked.

I have been searching but am confused about remotes. If I get a 21.0 learning remote off of ebay will I be able to program it for the tv input function? Doesn't the original remote have to "know" the code before transfering it to the 21.0?

Thank you so much for any replies. This forum is soooo interesting.

Sherrie

Edited by sherriebythesea, 19 October 2010 - 08:30 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,591 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:33 AM

Welcome...

I hope someone more knowledgeable will help you with your situation. Personally, I tend to just use the remote that comes with each device (so I use my HDTV remote, audio receiver remote, Blu-ray player remote, and Dish receiver remote) rather than try and simplify with the "universal" remote functions in most cases.

I don't know if I'm old fashioned or just lazy... but I figure the remotes that come with the stuff always work, especially when I see posts like yours where there is sometimes difficulty getting the remote to work like it is supposed to work.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:29 AM

There is a way to scan for codes. Maybe this will work for you.

From the 5.4 Remote User's Guide:
1 Turn on the TV

2 Press and hold the TV mode button until all the other mode buttons light up, and then let go of the button. The TV mode button flashes.

3. Press POWER.

4 Press the UP or DOWN ARROW repeatedly until the equipment turns off.

5 Press POUND (#).

6 Turn the equipment back on and try some other buttons to make sure they work.

7 If necessary, repeat this procedure until you’ve tried all the codes.

Edited by olguy, 19 October 2010 - 07:29 AM.
typo

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#4 OFFLINE   sherriebythesea

sherriebythesea

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:43 AM

Thank you for the replies. I have already done the code search. Kept trying until I got the 8 (?) flashes indicating that my tv is not supported.

I have tuned this place upside down and can not find my original tv remote so that is not an option either. My Directv remote will do the input switching but I have to send it back to them and would like to find a remote that supports tv and sat dish.

Is there someway to find out if my model of tv is supported by the 21.0? I checked the Harmony website and it is supported by them.

#5 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:15 AM

I use code 766 on my Vizio 32. I would think they should be identical.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#6 OFFLINE   sherriebythesea

sherriebythesea

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:28 AM

766 only gives me the volume and channel control. Still nothing on the tv input select. Thanks anyway. :)

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:11 AM

The answer to the question is that the Input button is not supported in any of the Vizio codes, because Vizio uses a non-standard way of selecting the input. In fact many manufacturers have changed the way they handle the Input selection function, resulting in universal remotes not being able to work. I've spoken to a couple of manufacturer's reps about this, and they simply don't care. As long as it works with the factory remote, that's all they care about (Vizio, Samsung...).

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#8 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

I bought the 21.0 to solve this exact problem with my 42" Vizio. The learning function worked perfectly.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#9 OFFLINE   sherriebythesea

sherriebythesea

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

I bought the 21.0 to solve this exact problem with my 42" Vizio. The learning function worked perfectly.

Fantastic. I'll get on ebay right now.

Thanks
Sherrie

#10 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:22 PM

Fantastic. I'll get on ebay right now.

Thanks
Sherrie

He didn't say the 21.0 remote has the code stored. He used the learning function to store the input selection. Didn't you post that you lost the original Vizio remote? What are you going to use to teach the 21.0 the code?:)

Edited by boba, 19 October 2010 - 01:25 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   sherriebythesea

sherriebythesea

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

He didn't say the 21.0 remote has the code stored. He used the learning function to store the input selection. Didn't you post that you lost the original Vizio remote? What are you going to use to teach the 21.0 the code?:)

Crap. Do I have a paperweight coming in the mail then? I misunderstood his answer

#12 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

Crap. Do I have a paperweight coming in the mail then? I misunderstood his answer

I would try to find an original TV remote as well...
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#13 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:12 PM

You may be able to get a JP1 remote at your local radio shack for about $5 on clearance and use that to teach your dish remote. The 15-100, 133, 134 and 135 all have vizio tv code 0019 (or 10019). The input codes are listed below. The How To link in my sig tells you how to use these advanced codes.

tv/vcr	00090
comp 1	00231
comp 2	00135
comp 3	00139
comp 4	00132
HDMI	00174
HDMI 1	00193
HDMI 2	00191
HDMI 3	00195
HDMI 4	00188
HDMI 5	00192
HDMI 6	00190
HDMI 7	00194
RGB	00253
AV	00105
AV 1	00225
TV	00110

I don't have a vizio, but I assume tv/vcr is the input toggle button on the original remote that you're after. The others will jump directly to a specific input.

If I'm desperate, I've been known to take a learning remote into walmart or best buy and learn what I need. They usually could care less, and if I explain what I'm doing, they don't mind. Most tv's of the same brand have the same codes, so you don't have to get exactly the same model.

Edited by mdavej, 19 October 2010 - 03:19 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:58 PM

Take your 21.0 remote to Sears and ask to use one of their Vizio remotes to "teach" yours.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#15 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:22 PM

Take your 21.0 remote to Sears and ask to use one of their Vizio remotes to "teach" yours.

I was just about to say the same thing. I missed the "lost my remote" bit.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#16 OFFLINE   sherriebythesea

sherriebythesea

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

Did one last search and found my vizio remote ! :joy::joy:

Printed out the 21.0 manual. Nice to know I have someplace to come to if I mess it up.

Thank you all

#17 OFFLINE   sherriebythesea

sherriebythesea

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for all your help. I now have my tv, dish, blue ray and roku box all controlled by the 21.0.

Much better than trying to figure out which remote goes with what and where it is !!!

Thanks again

Protected By... spam firewall...And...