Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

USB Data Port Drops Connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ki162

ki162

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:02 AM

I have designed a small board that contains a microcontroller which talks to the DirecTV D12 via the D12's USB port. The microcontroller uses its UART to communicate to a Prolific PL-2303X which then connects to the D12. I know that the recommended USB part is a PL-2303, but that is obsolete. The PL-2303X seems to work fine for awhile and then will randomly drop its connection to the D12. The connection will not resume until I pull the USB cable and reconnect.

Has anyone seen this problem? Is there a work around?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,382 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:01 PM

Thats not something I have ever tried, but here is the official material on it. I hope this helps.

http://www.sbcatest....allers-V2.2.pdf

Here is the site I found that on.

http://www.sbcatest....techsupport.htm

Edited by Draconis, 19 October 2010 - 04:02 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:37 PM

Interesting! I originally posted that link to the USB port info years ago and was always curious if someone had actually decided to communicate with the receiver via USB.

Will the port go dead if you program your equipment to periodically send an inquiry command to the receiver (even if you discard the data)? Perhaps the port is set up to become active when it detects a connection and then shuts down after a given interval with no commands to conserve CPU time in the receiver.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#4 OFFLINE   ki162

ki162

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:20 AM

I had hoped that pinging it would keep it alive, but it does not. I send a dummy command (I think it is version request) every 5 sec. It doesn't keep it alive but I do know as soon as it goes dead :-)

#5 OFFLINE   MasterChef

MasterChef

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:55 PM

You might consider buying the cable available from Paterson Tech described here. It works with Tivos and ReplayTVs.
Slimline Dish, SWiM-16
2 - HR21-700 + AM-21, 2 - HR22-100
4 - H24-100, Whole Home DVR
D* since 2001

spam firewall