Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home DVR not working after disconnecting Receiver

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:53 AM

This is my first post so please forgive me if this answer could have been found elsewhere and if I don't have the exact specs as I'm at work right now.

This past weekend I had DirecTV install an HD DVR and an HD Receiver with Whole Home DVR service. My building has a community dish. I know that a SWiM was installed and everything was working perfectly until I bought a new TV, and disconnected the cables and power source from the HD Receiver so that I could move it into the TV Stand. Now, I cannot see my playlist on the HD Receiver, instead it just pulls up a "To Do List" menu. It also says that there are no networked receivers. The Whole Home DVR service worked fine before I unplugged everything, but now it doesn't work. Does it have to do with the order of re-plugging things back in? Does the coax cable need to be plugged in before the power source on the HD Receiver, because I may have done that in the reverse order...? I already tried resetting both boxes using the red reset button. I had this all set up before my broadband internet service was setup, so it shouldn't have anything to do with my internet.

Please advise if you have any suggestions. I spoke with a CSR last night, and after their tests, they want to send someone back out...

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:59 AM

What you've already done should have had it come back.
You might go back and first reset the DVR [use the menu restart over the red button as this is the preferred method].
After it comes up completely, then restart the receiver.
If this doesn't do it, look at your router if you're connected to the internet, as sometimes this can cause this and reboot it.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for the response. I will try restarting both again through the menu after work today. I do not have it connected to the internet at all. The part that frustrates me is that it was working properly, then I unplugged the coax, power cord, and hdmi cord to move it into the new tv stand, then plugged everything back in, and now it no longer can see the DVR playlist. My building uses an independent company to install DTV, and it is very frustrating dealing with them if I need someone to come out and service it. I really hope I can fix this on my own...

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for the response. I will try restarting both again through the menu after work today. I do not have it connected to the internet at all. The part that frustrates me is that it was working properly, then I unplugged the coax, power cord, and hdmi cord to move it into the new tv stand, then plugged everything back in, and now it no longer can see the DVR playlist. My building uses an independent company to install DTV, and it is very frustrating dealing with them if I need someone to come out and service it. I really hope I can fix this on my own...

Without a router to handle the IP routing, the receivers can/will take longer to find each other.
You may find they've found each other by the time you get home.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:19 AM

That would be very exciting, although the last reset I did was about 9 pm last night PST, and I checked again this morning about 9 hours later, and they still hadn't found each other...i'll cross my fingers. Any other thoughts?

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

That would be very exciting, although the last reset I did was about 9 pm last night PST, and I checked again this morning about 9 hours later, and they still hadn't found each other...i'll cross my fingers. Any other thoughts?

By morning they should have found each other.
It can take a couple of hours, depending on which model each are.
The 24s seem to find each other faster since they use internal IPs that are close, and the other receivers find each other because they use slightly different IPs. The longest seem to be a mix of 24s and others.
"Other thoughts" would be to check what their network status is/shows.
Resetting the network defaults, then rebooting, then running "connect now", running the system/network test, etc.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   larryk

larryk

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:42 AM

Check the network status of each receiver, and check the IP address of each to make sure that they are in the same subnet (the same except the last number)

#8 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:09 PM

SO frustrating. Thanks for your help, but so far, nothing has allowed the Whole Home DVR to work. I tried resetting both boxes, I tried restoring network defaults...no dice. I looked at the IP settings, and they are different after the first 6 digits, but i tried to change them to match and it wouldn't let me choose connect.

If someone could post step by step suggestions on how to resolve this, i'd greatly appreciate this. i'm home now, so i can check any settings or information for you. i really don't want to have to deal with the technician again, i just spoke to his rep and he said he couldn't even make me an appointment...

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:33 PM

Let's hear what hardware you have, since "something" is missing.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:38 PM

The HD Receiver is model H24-700 and the DVR is HR24-500. My building is prewired for DTV on a community satellite dish. I know they installed a SWiM at the source of the wires in our laundry room, and the wires run through my walls and connect directly to my boxes. from what i've been told by the technician, i do not require internet for this function to work. thanks!

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:53 PM

The HD Receiver is model H24-700 and the DVR is HR24-500. My building is prewired for DTV on a community satellite dish. I know they installed a SWiM at the source of the wires in our laundry room, and the wires run through my walls and connect directly to my boxes. from what i've been told by the technician, i do not require internet for this function to work. thanks!

So, go into the system info [more info] on each and check what you see for the network and if you see "coax".
Post everything from the IP through network connected/internet connected, for both.
You do not need internet connectivity.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:08 PM

ok on the DVR:
IP Address: 169.254.7.138
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: -
DNS:
STB Services Port: !N/A(100)
Audio Services Port: -
Network: Coax not connected (9)
Internet: ! Not connected (9)

on the HD Receiver:
IP Address: 169.254.11.67
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: -
DNS:
STB Services Port: ! N/A(100)
Audio Services Port: -
Network: Coax Not Connected (9)
Internet: !not connected (9)

I'm assuming that coax not connected is the issue. i wonder if the technician coincidentally disconnected a coax from the SWiM when he installed another unit yesterday while i was in the process of switching my receiver to my new tv....would that make sense? other things to check? thanks!

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

So we now know why.
You have TV working right?
Go into the setup menu/Satellite and re-run the setup.
This is how to turn on the DECA/coax networking.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

ok i'm in the process of doing this, there is an error on tuner 1 on the Odd 13V 103 degree, but i'm going to continue to see if the process fixes the whole home issue...i'll check back in in a second

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:24 PM

Theme from Jeopardy plays in the background
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

Ha, ok i did it on both receivers and still it didn't fix the issue...do i need to do one before the other? do i need to reset either of them first? after? it still isn't seeing my playlist from the DVR on the receiver. it still just pulls up the to do list. tv is working fine on both receivers though. i feel like that should have worked though, i do think i need that DECA to be reset because of how it was last unplugged...what do you suggest?

#17 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

it still states that the coax is not connected btw...

#18 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:32 PM

At this point it could be a number of things. Each box might be on a different SWiM module now, a BSF could have been added and who knows what else.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#19 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:33 PM

the only way i could see that they'd be on different SWiM modules is if the technician came and swapped it yesterday during the same hour i had it unplugged, because it was working fine earlier yesterday...

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,980 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:34 PM

the only way i could see that they'd be on different SWiM modules is if the technician came and swapped it yesterday during the same hour i had it unplugged, because it was working fine earlier yesterday...

What did you move when this "broke"?
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...