Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home DVR not working after disconnecting Receiver

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

ok here's what happened after restoring network defaults on both receivers. i went to connect now on the dvr and put in a name, then it told me it couldn't connect to the internet, and gives me the options to connect through ethernet etc. on the hd receiver, after putting in a name, it says a problem was detected and it gives me the IP Address, subnet masks, and says the coax not connected (9)and internet not connected (13). when i click error info, it says check all physical connections making sure ethernet is connected, make sure all power cords are secure, make sure lights on router/receiver are blinking, etc. and i can choose try again, connect later or advanced setup.

So this was the receiver, and what happened on the DVR?
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

i put in a name, and it took me straight to the couldn't connect to the internet screen, and then gives me the options to connect through ethernet, wired or wireles...

#43 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:36 PM

I think you might be a victim of some pretty poor timing.

By chance do you have some extra coax and a two way splitter?

If so, try this.

Wall jack to 2 way splitter. 2 way to each of your receivers. You can put them both in the same place. Doing this would guarentee that both boxes are on the same swm.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#44 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

i put in a name, and it took me straight to the couldn't connect to the internet screen, and then gives me the options to connect through ethernet, wired or wireles...

The lack of internet is expected [duh] and I'd select "wired" for the next option.
A.K.A VOS

#45 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

no, unfortunately i don't have access to that stuff to test your theory out. I've put in a call to the contracting company that installed my service to have someone come out to help me, and i think i'll just have to wait the unbearably long time to have him come fix it for me...thanks for your help, both Robert and VOS.

#46 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

i chose wired, and it took me through the setup process, and ended at the same error screen showing me my IP address and that the coax isn't connected...

#47 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

ok, i need to break from this for a while, it is driving me crazy. i need to eat something, if you think of anything else for me to try, please let me know. otherwise, i'll let you know if the tech can fix it... thanks again for everything.

#48 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

i chose wired, and it took me through the setup process, and ended at the same error screen showing me my IP address and that the coax isn't connected...

This may be beyond what we can help with, "but"
The only other thing would be since these are 24s is to go into the special menu for the coax network.
On the front panel, press the guide & > "buttons" at the same time, which can be tricky, but once you get it right, a menu will show with coax as the middle option. Select this and see if it shows the coax is not connected or if it tries to test/query the other receiver.
Try this on both to see if you find one has the DECA active.
A.K.A VOS

#49 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,916 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:37 PM

i'm going to do the satellite setup again on both receivers, and then reboot both receivers again, and hope it works. i only have one coax line coming into my apartment which is then split and feeds to the different boxes.

Where's the SWiM module?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#50 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:42 PM

Where's the SWiM module?

My building is prewired for DTV on a community satellite dish. I know they installed a SWiM at the source of the wires in our laundry room, and the wires run through my walls and connect directly to my boxes.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#51 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,916 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:08 PM

Well one receiver ain't going to see the other receiver thru a splitter.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#52 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:10 PM

Sure they will. All of mine run through a splitter.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#53 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:27 AM

You've got to be kidding ALL of us.

How do you think DECA works? :confused:

Sure they will. All of mine run through a splitter.

Mine works through two splitters. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#54 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

just an update, with no new info, still not working, still waiting for the tech to come out. could be tomorrow, could be next week, ugh. i think during another install, he must have disconnected something from my SWiM that affected my universal dvr. i'll check in after he visits/fixes it (hopefully).

#55 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

i only have one coax line coming into my apartment which is then split and feeds to the different boxes.

Right now if this is true, then the problem should be within your apartment.
This cabling has a problem, or one of your receivers has one.
A.K.A VOS

#56 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:00 PM

technician came out last night, was a bit stumped, downloaded a software update, didn't fix the issue. said he was going to talk to some of his coworkers and would come back saturday with an answer. be back tomorrow with the resolution...

#57 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:13 PM

technician came out last night, was a bit stumped, downloaded a software update, didn't fix the issue. said he was going to talk to some of his coworkers and would come back saturday with an answer. be back tomorrow with the resolution...

If he can't come up with anything, have him temporarily add a DECA into your setup. This should be able to have him figure out if one of the receivers has failed, as it will give both of them a DECA to coax network with.
A.K.A VOS

#58 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

Ok, i have the answer, finally, and it worked, although not to my final needs. The tech came out today, put a filter on the cable, and used a different splitter that apparently has some different technology in it that enables the MRV to work. after installing those pieces, everything on the directv side worked perfectly, including the whole home dvr.

however, i also have cable internet being split off that line, and the splitter apparently has some block in it that disables the internet from coming through. the Tech told me i have to choose between MRV and cable internet. So i'm going to swith to dsl internet, then everything should be good.

thanks everyone for your help and input. sorry for hte lack of technical info today, i'm so burnt out from this whole process...

#59 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:00 PM

I see a few things here:

• the problem was in your apartment
  • the tech knows what he's doing.
  • how the hell did you get this to work before?
  • Was this a do it yourself setup?

A.K.A VOS

#60 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:52 PM

kneeslikeamare,
I can appreciate your frustration, but may I suggest just one more try. I have a total in home system versus an apartment setup, but I had a similar problem when I disconnected and reconnected our bedroom DVR. (Actually the original installer had the same problem and this is where I got the correction method -- straight from DirecTV installer technical support.)

First, I would remove the filter that the installer inserted. You can always reinsert it if I am wrong, but I think that is killing your internet. Now, the fix.

Unplug both your DVR and your receiver. Then plug in your DVR and let it go through its setup completely (about 3 to 4 minutes). When that process is complete and you have a picture, plug in your receiver and let it go through its setup. Once this is complete everything should be reset and work OK. This seems to be the only complete way to reset the IP addressing on the Whole Home DVR process. It has worked twice for me.
Bob

Protected By... spam firewall...And...