Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home DVR not working after disconnecting Receiver

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:07 PM

kneeslikeamare,
I can appreciate your frustration, but may I suggest just one more try. I have a total in home system versus an apartment setup, but I had a similar problem when I disconnected and reconnected our bedroom DVR. (Actually the original installer had the same problem and this is where I got the correction method -- straight from DirecTV installer technical support.)

First, I would remove the filter that the installer inserted. You can always reinsert it if I am wrong, but I think that is killing your internet. Now, the fix.

Unplug both your DVR and your receiver. Then plug in your DVR and let it go through its setup completely (about 3 to 4 minutes). When that process is complete and you have a picture, plug in your receiver and let it go through its setup. Once this is complete everything should be reset and work OK. This seems to be the only complete way to reset the IP addressing on the Whole Home DVR process. It has worked twice for me.
Bob

No, the coax network is an RF signal, which "just happens to be" in the same band as the cable modem internet, which mean one or the other.
The bandstop filter in this case is needed, otherwise other apartments may be part of the coax network. This is a BIG DEAL with MDU systems.
"Also" the splitter he was using [and why it had to be replaced] had way too much loss for the receivers to be able to communicate.
His problem wasn't anything to do with IP addresses, but "merely" the DECA signal had no path between the receivers.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:43 PM

No, the coax network is an RF signal, which "just happens to be" in the same band as the cable modem internet, which mean one or the other.
The bandstop filter in this case is needed, otherwise other apartments may be part of the coax network. This is a BIG DEAL with MDU systems.
"Also" the splitter he was using [and why it had to be replaced] had way too much loss for the receivers to be able to communicate.
His problem wasn't anything to do with IP addresses, but "merely" the DECA signal had no path between the receivers.

Thanks for the info. So, now I am curious as to how everything seemed to work OK until he unplugged his receiver. Was it just one of those flukes that happened for a while and then went "pop"?

Thanks again for the input.

#63 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for the info. So, now I am curious as to how everything seemed to work OK until he unplugged his receiver. Was it just one of those flukes that happened for a while and then went "pop"?

Thanks again for the input.

I don't think we ever heard the whole story. It took 58 posts to get down to something that made any sense.
The OP may not have known, but he also didn't give the details to what had happened before and any changes after.
The tech who looked at it clearly found the missing pieces that weren't posted.
I've been using this stuff for over a year now and thought I could help, but I never got enough facts.

You can disconnect things, move them around a bit, and then connect them back up without problems.
You CAN'T mix CATV with DECA, just like you can't mix OTA with DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#64 OFFLINE   kneeslikeamare

kneeslikeamare

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:43 AM

Yes, I'm sorry that I wasn't able to provide enough facts throughout the process. I initially thought that the issue arose from unplugging and moving the receiver, so that was what I was basing this all on. I have no clue how the MRV ever worked in the first place considering that filter was never installed until this past weekend. It also took the technician several attempts to figure out that this was the issue, as he had never seen it before and had to call several associates to learn that the splitter would disable the cable internet feed.

VOS, I really appreciate you taking as much time as you did attempting to help me through this process, and i'm sorry if the info I provided wasn't sufficient. This is my first directv issue, and my first post.

Hopefully i don't run into any more issues, but if i do, i will definitely come back to you guys, you were all very nice and helpful, and like i said, i appreciate it.

btw to answer the other guy's question, it was a professional install. the issue is definitely with my situation splitting the cable and the internet. I've cancelled my internet and ordered DSL, should be smooth sailing from here on out.

Thanks!

I don't think we ever heard the whole story. It took 58 posts to get down to something that made any sense.
The OP may not have known, but he also didn't give the details to what had happened before and any changes after.
The tech who looked at it clearly found the missing pieces that weren't posted.
I've been using this stuff for over a year now and thought I could help, but I never got enough facts.

You can disconnect things, move them around a bit, and then connect them back up without problems.
You CAN'T mix CATV with DECA, just like you can't mix OTA with DECA.

#65 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:55 AM

"As they say... no problem"
People come here for help, as I did long, long ago.
What I'd guess was the main problem, was the internet had to be separated from the coax and this used a diplexer, which by design blocks the DECA signal from the receivers. This was why they never could find the other one.
"Had this been known", this would have been much easier to resolve.
Now that "we do", you might be able to keep your internet and keep DECA working.
The coax coming into your apartment can have both, "BUT"
You must break the cable modem/internet [use the dilpexer] off the coax before the filter. You would then need to use a separate coax to feed your modem.
"So" coax with SAT & internet --> diplexer --> filter-->splitter --> DECA & receivers.

Yes, I'm sorry that I wasn't able to provide enough facts throughout the process. I initially thought that the issue arose from unplugging and moving the receiver, so that was what I was basing this all on. I have no clue how the MRV ever worked in the first place considering that filter was never installed until this past weekend. It also took the technician several attempts to figure out that this was the issue, as he had never seen it before and had to call several associates to learn that the splitter would disable the cable internet feed.

VOS, I really appreciate you taking as much time as you did attempting to help me through this process, and i'm sorry if the info I provided wasn't sufficient. This is my first directv issue, and my first post.

Hopefully i don't run into any more issues, but if i do, i will definitely come back to you guys, you were all very nice and helpful, and like i said, i appreciate it.

btw to answer the other guy's question, it was a professional install. the issue is definitely with my situation splitting the cable and the internet. I've cancelled my internet and ordered DSL, should be smooth sailing from here on out.

Thanks!

A.K.A VOS

#66 OFFLINE   halakim149

halakim149

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:15 AM

First of all whole home DVR has nothing to do with your internet connection the router is not involved in one unit finding the other. it is an internal sytem process and I have installed countless systems without internet connection, that is just a missconception. But sice you mentioned that your internet was setup at a later day let me ask you something. Did you connect an ethernet cable to the back of the receiver from your router? if you did you need to umplug it because the regular internet protocol shuts down the MRV process. the receiver is trying to process two protocols at the same time and the whole home DVR is ussually disconnected in the process. if that is the case unplug the ethernet cable and reset the receivers and that should take care of it. IF you want internet integrated to the system you should order a Broad Band Decca from directv that is the only way of having internet connection and home dvr.

#67 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:49 AM

First of all whole home DVR has nothing to do with your internet connection the router is not involved in one unit finding the other. it is an internal sytem process and I have installed countless systems without internet connection, that is just a missconception. But sice you mentioned that your internet was setup at a later day let me ask you something. Did you connect an ethernet cable to the back of the receiver from your router? if you did you need to umplug it because the regular internet protocol shuts down the MRV process. the receiver is trying to process two protocols at the same time and the whole home DVR is ussually disconnected in the process. if that is the case unplug the ethernet cable and reset the receivers and that should take care of it. IF you want internet integrated to the system you should order a Broad Band Decca from directv that is the only way of having internet connection and home dvr.

I see this is:
1) your first post here. :welcome_s
2) you've dragged up an almost 1 year old thread. :eek2:

Now for the "misconception":
You're right that MRV doesn't need a internet/router connection to work.
In this configuration, the receivers use their internal IP of 169.xxx with a Subnet of 255.255.0.0
Now if you do what to connect to the internet and customer's home network, then the router does the control [as it's a ROUTER!!!], so through DHCP, it assigns IPs, subnets, and the gateway IP.
MRV "traffic" will stay within the DECA network, but the router will still be "telling/controlling" which device is sending/receiving the traffic.
There are NOT two protocols running here but the same with different IP addresses.

the regular internet protocol shuts down the MRV process

What IS happening here is:
When you connect an ethernet cable to the H/HR24, it disables the internal DECA. This has NOTHING to do with protocol, but merely how they're "hardwired".

Edited by veryoldschool, 18 September 2011 - 08:55 AM.

A.K.A VOS

#68 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,888 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:24 PM

I see this is:
1) your first post here. :welcome_s
2) you've dragged up an almost 1 year old thread. :eek2:

Now for the "misconception":
You're right that MRV doesn't need a internet/router connection to work.
In this configuration, the receivers use their internal IP of 169.xxx with a Subnet of 255.255.0.0 ...

Thats actually 169.254.xxx.xxx with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 :)

IOW, its the "APIPA" protocol.

http://compnetworkin...bldef_apipa.htm

#69 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

Thats actually 169.254.xxx.xxx with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 :)

IOW, its the "APIPA" protocol.

http://compnetworkin...bldef_apipa.htm

now where's that icon that looks like __|_ ? !rolling
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall