Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

satillite internet

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:24 AM

i hope i have picked the correct forum. i am having a directv dish installed at my vacation rv site. can i order directv satillite internet and call and and have it turned on when i need it and then turned off when i don,t? i can call and stop, change, or start premium tv channels and i would like to know if i can do the same with the internet. thanks .

Edited by lartomar2002, 19 October 2010 - 10:25 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:33 AM

It might be better to call 1-888-408-3137 for your questions.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

i hope i have picked the correct forum. i am having a directv dish installed at my vacation rv site. can i order directv satillite internet and call and and have it turned on when i need it and then turned off when i don,t? i can call and stop, change, or start premium tv channels and i would like to know if i can do the same with the internet. thanks .

Satellite internet is a different service, separate from Directv. It uses a different dish, also. Check www.hughesnet.com

Edited by raoul5788, 19 October 2010 - 11:01 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:03 AM

Depending on the availability, you might want to consider cellular internet access.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   flexoffset

flexoffset

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:52 AM

... and you might want to check the Hughes FAP (Fair Access Policy) which, to me, seems like it would have applied fairly in 1987 but not 2010. I think between 2am-5am you can download as much as you like.

http://web.hughesnet...cessPolicy.aspx

Typically, on the Home plan, to reach your download limit in a 24-hour period, you would have to download any of the following:
67 photos (at 3 MB each)
50 songs (at 4 MB each)
10 video clips (at 20 MB each)

What activities may cause a subscriber to exceed their download threshold?
Some activities are more likely to exceed the download threshold and trigger the application of the Fair Access Policy. Several examples are listed below:
Full-length movie or video downloads (e.g., Netflix streaming movies)
Continuous downloading or viewing streaming media content such as audio or video programming

D* | 2ea HR24-500

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,328 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

... and you might want to check the Hughes FAP (Fair Access Policy) which, to me, seems like it would have applied fairly in 1987 but not 2010. I think between 2am-5am you can download as much as you like.

http://web.hughesnet...cessPolicy.aspx

Well, it is better than say an AT&T iPhone/iPad plan. Bandwidth on a satellite connection is much trickier than a standard wired connection.

#7 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:47 PM

I have HughesNet. You have to sign a 2 year agreement with them just like DirecTV or Dish. Doesn't matter if you lease the equipment from them or buy the equipment up front. That is what I found rediculous, if I paid $400 to buy the equipment I still had to sign a 2 year contract to get it. Otherwise, I could lease the equipment for $10 a month, sign a 2 year agreement, and they gave me the equipment for free. In other words you have ot lease the equipment for almost 3.5 years before it would cost as much as buying the equipment. You would be well beyond your contract by then.

Anyway, the service itself is decent. The thing I like the most about it is that the download limits are daily instead of monthly. If I accidentally go over it slows down to dial up speeds for around 24 hours then goes back to normal. You are given one free token every month that you can use to get back to your normal speeds if you do happen to go over (you can buy more tokens for $10 if you need to). You always know exactly how much your bill is going to be each month (either the set price, or it will be higher by $10 for every token you buy).

To me this was much better than having cellular internet service where the usage went by month. If you go over your limit you can't use the system for the rest of the month. Or if you go over and don't realize it suddenly you get hit with big overage charges.

In this case though it sounds like you are going to be using this at an RV site only sporadically. To me the 3G wifi access points sound like a better idea for you. Like the Verizon MiFi. These I think you can pay for up front and then just buy data month by month as needed. You still have data caps though that you need to watch out for.

#8 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:36 PM

Also, check the Upload and Download Speeds as they are not close to Wired DSL Internet Service so keep that in mind.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:59 PM

I'm looking for the same thing (part-time internet), but cellular would be out of the question since I need it for a remote vacation cabin which doesn't have cellular service not to mention WI FI. Hughes sound's interesting but it wasn't mentioned if the service could be turned on for say 3-5 months and then turned off when not in use. Also, about what monthly rate are you paying for Hughes (not counting the "lease fee")?

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

Here are there rates. Looks like they are doing a deal right now where you save $20/month for the first 3 months.

http://consumer.hugh...d=05141PPChncom

I am on the ProPlus plan so I pay around $90/month ($80 for service, $10 for lease).

I know you have to sign a 2 year agreement no matter what. I do not know if they allow you to put your account on "vacation" like DriecTV does. I would recommend calling them and asking them about that. I would think they would allow this, but you need to realize only the months you have service will count toward your agreement. So if you only have the service on for 6 months a year you will actually have to keep the service for 4 years to complete your agreement.

Also, they apparently do not pro-rate their early termination fees. If you cancel with 2 months left you pay the same penalty as if you had 20 months left.

Edited by Beerstalker, 20 October 2010 - 11:55 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:12 PM

I've heard that their Upload and Download Speeds are pretty slow compared to say AT&T's DSL so ask what their speeds are because I know 2 RVers who were more than glad to get rid of their service and now use Verizon's Air Card along with their 3G Network for Email, etc.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:08 PM

if i were to go with directv-wildblue would i need a seperate dish for wildblue?

#13 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:12 PM

if i were to go with directv-wildblue would i need a seperate dish for wildblue?

Indeed you will.

#14 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

Like Chiliball said, both HughesNet and Wildblue have their own dishes, they do not use your DriecTV dish (and your DirecTV dish can't be used by them). Their LNB's are much different as they also have to be able to send the upstream signal back into space to the satellites.

#15 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:35 PM

Like Chiliball said, both HughesNet and Wildblue have their own dishes, they do not use your DriecTV dish (and your DirecTV dish can't be used by them). Their LNB's are much different as they also have to be able to send the upstream signal back into space to the satellites.

To accomplish this, the LNB/ODU needs an onboard transmitter. When you start talking about transmitting RF out into space, you fall under much different and much more strict FCC regulations. That's why under no circumstances will you ever see a transmitter on a Directv ODU (Dish).
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#16 OFFLINE   iceburg02

iceburg02

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

I used HughesNet for a few years as it was my only option at the time. Switched to a 3G wireless router about two years ago, and it was SO much better. FIOS finally arrived about 3 weeks ago, and I haven't stopped celebrating yet. Satellite internet is the worst.

#17 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:46 PM

he reason i stared this inquire was because i was having a louse experience with the at&t prepaid data connect card. i have since solved the problem i pulled out a usb extention cable plug the usb card in to it and plugged it into the lapop and extended the card to the top of the rv window and taped it there. problem solved improved everything. of course i will not be able to download movies because of the gb cap. i can always download them at home to my 1tb hd at home and bring them wih me when i come up here(1tb holds a lot of movies). i can then connect the hd to the wd tv live hd that will be connected to the tv and i will be set. thanks for all the feedback:)

#18 OFFLINE   VLaslow

VLaslow

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:59 PM

The Virgin Mobile MiFi card is the same as the Verizon card, but "better." No contract, $40 per month for unlimited data, drop it after one month, and start again when you get back to the RV park. MiFi card costs around $150. Sell it on eBay if you don't like it.

Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint 3G backbone. So, if you can get a Sprint signal at the RV park, and, by the way, anywhere on the road, you're golden.

#19 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:06 PM

jus my luck no sprint in the mountains here. do have verizon but i guess you can't drop it after one month and then pick it up again like with virgin and sprint?

#20 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:34 PM

I am fairly certain if you pay the full $270 price for the MiFi then you can go month to month on the data plan.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...