Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

satillite internet

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:52 PM

It is $149.99 and you then pay month to month but right now they are out of the MiFi 2200 Units.

Edited by Richierich, 21 October 2010 - 01:55 PM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:56 PM

beerstalker, thanks for your reply. i am just now hearing about mifi. from what little i have read about it i thought it was bascilly like a wifi hub. is it like mobile broadband? i am now using at&t prepaid data connect plan. up in the mountains (now that i added a usb extention cable and taped the usb card to the window) i get a consistant 3 bars and sometimes four. with the at&t prepaid plan i have a threshold of 2gb a month, this cost me $50.00. how does the verizon mifi differ from a prepaid mobile broadband usb card. i tried reading the verizon sie but they are using some terminology i am not familiar with. thanks
p.s. do you know what the typical download speeds are for mobile broadband and would verizion mifi be ant better?

Edited by lartomar2002, 21 October 2010 - 01:57 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:27 PM

With Verizon you only get 5GB Bandwidth Usage but with Virgin you get Unlimited Bandwidth Usage. Verizon is $60 per month and Virgin is $40 per month.

Verizon of course uses the Verizon 3G Network and Virgin uses the Sprint Network as the backbone of their usage network but that does not include Roaming into Verizon's Network as does Sprint but Sprint does not have the MiFi so you're stuck with either of the two above.

They are a Broadband Access Hub that 5 devices can connect to and the data usage is the sum of all devices connecting via the MiFi 2200 Hub.

Do you have Access to Sprint in your area?

Edited by Richierich, 21 October 2010 - 02:27 PM.

Here's My Setup

#24 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:36 PM

i have access to sprint at home but not at the rv site. so, it looks like it will have to be at&t or verizion. maybe if verizion or at&t do not get favorable responses to their tiered price plans they will come back back with the unlimited. who am i kidding!

#25 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:47 AM

The Verizon MiFi acts kind of like a home wireless router. You can access it with up to 5 wifi devices. However, instead of hooking up to your wired internet provider it works over 3G with the Verizon wireless service.

I believe Verizon has 3 plans available.
1Gb for $20
3Gb for $35
5Gb for $50
Then $10 for every additional Gb.

#26 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

I just looked at their website and it states 5 GB = $60, 1 GB = $50, 250 Mb = $40 and this is just for Internet Data Usage with Roaming Capability.

Their are other Prepaid Plans also.

Virgin MiFi 2200 is Unlimited Data Usage with the same WiFi 2200 Device but this only includes usage on Sprint's 3G Network and no Roaming Capability.

Edited by Richierich, 22 October 2010 - 11:58 AM.

Here's My Setup

#27 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

Huh, you are right. I guess maybe the data price plans I was talking about are restricted to the iPad/MiFi deal they are starting Oct 28. You can buy a WiFi iPad along with a MiFi device from Verizon for the same price as a 3G iPad on AT&T (so you are essentially getting the MiFi for $130).

#28 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:29 PM

Huh, you are right. I guess maybe the data price plans I was talking about are restricted to the iPad/MiFi deal they are starting Oct 28. You can buy a WiFi iPad along with a MiFi device from Verizon for the same price as a 3G iPad on AT&T (so you are essentially getting the MiFi for $130).

Maybe you have been Stalking to many Beers as of late!!! :lol:
Here's My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...