Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Attempt to get free HD for 24 months...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   camattin

camattin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:22 PM

After reading the multiple posts in here about existing customers getting the HD fee waived for 24 months (with autopay on their account), I figured I'd give it a shot.

My first call was disconnected 5 minutes into it. :nono2:

My second call lasted 22 minutes and I'm not 100% sure what this second CSR did. The first CSR I spoke with said I qualified (as long as I remained on autopay and at the choice xtra package level -- no problem there). I spent a lot of time on hold with him because every time he did a refresh on my account, it kept giving him a different answer as to whether I was already enrolled in autopay (which I have been since the first bill). He then had to transfer me and the next CSR had a very, very heavy accent (Indian call center?). I'm not sure what she actually did... it sounded like she was trying to get me approved for free HD for life (instead of just the 24 months I was shooting for). Through the accent I think I heard that the request has to go to some other department and they'll approve or deny the request in the next 8-10 business days.

What the heck? Well, 10 business days is still before my next bill, so if they deny me, I'll just call back in and do the CSR roulette and see where I wind up!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:29 PM

First I heard you had to have choice extra to qualify. They just told me I had to sign up for auto bill pay. Since I just downgraded to Choice, my next bill should be interesting.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

There is another qualification you might not be aware of.. you can't currently have any base package discounts on your account (such as a $10 discount for 6 or 12 months, etc) or free dvr service, as these will make you ineligible for this offer

Edited by xmetalx, 19 October 2010 - 05:05 PM.

DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:50 PM

I thought the "free HD" offer ended long ago. DirecTV is only featuring it in ads to new customers who take ULTIMATE and NFLST!!! But, of course, that is free HD "for life".

However, DISH network ads keep advertising "free HD for life" for new customers with their lowest package which is only $25 a month for a year and $40 thereafter. Hmmm...

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#5 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

When I called it was taken care of in about 2 minutes, no big deal, no big list of things I needed to qualify for it.

#6 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,222 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:58 PM

When I called it was taken care of in about 2 minutes, no big deal, no big list of things I needed to qualify for it.

Same here. I even got a free second HD DVR without even asking for it. I did have to agree to two more years.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#7 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:40 PM

Well, there are qualifications for the offer, and the CSR's check for it.. (or are supposed to) before they offer it. I'm just citing a few examples as to why they weren't able to add it for him.

Btw, in no way shape or form would it ever take 8 days... if you're eligible, it can be added in a few minutes... if you're not, you're not..
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#8 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

We just got it yesterday. We have autopay and the Select package.

#9 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:11 PM

There is another qualification you might not be aware of.. you can't currently have any base package discounts on your account (such as a $10 discount for 6 or 12 months, etc) or free dvr service, as these will make you ineligible for this offer

I can confirm that, since I received free HD last year because of the VS fiasco. I was told to call back after it ended and I could get the free HD for this year. So when it finally ran out, I called and they still denied me and said its because of my $20/6mo discount on NFL ST. I went to retention and finally convinced them to give me a one time $120 customer satisfaction credit.

Edited by RACJ2, 19 October 2010 - 08:12 PM.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#10 OFFLINE   camattin

camattin

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:48 AM

I currently have the at&t employee discount along with the 2 xtra discounts ($5/mo rebate + $24 month 1-12 rebate). I wouldn't think those would interfere, but who knows...

#11 OFFLINE   jab5325

jab5325

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:30 AM

I was still in my first year discounts when I signed up for the HD credit. Plus, I got free HD+Extra Pack for 3 months.

Bottom line is you don't know until you call. If you don't get the answer you want, call back. The first time I called, the CSR had no idea what I was talking about and said I wasn't eligible. The second time, the CSR said I was eligible but to call back in an hour because their computers were down. Third time, CSR said I was eligible and set it up. When it didn't show up under "Recent Activity" online, called back a fourth time and the fourth/final CSR put it through. It was a bit of a hassle but to save $120 a year, it was worth it.

spam firewall