Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR22 not recording prior to turning TV on

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   crashoverride

crashoverride

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

Weird question...I thought the DVR was always recording but when I turn my tv and receiver on my DVR HR22 starts recording but is unable to rewind. I never turn the DVR off so I think the HDMI cable is telling it to wake up but I often times turn it on and there is something good to watch that I want to rewind back to. I thought the DVR was always recording day and night tv on or not???

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KSbugeater

KSbugeater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

I noticed that Monday night on my HR20-700! I left it tuned to TBS expecting the buffer to hold most of the ALCS game, but no! Even though it was already on, the screen saver was going and there was no buffer. I hope this isn't a new "feature".

#3 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

There seems to be some discussions about this right now in a few threads. I'm seeing it on one of my DVR's. There's not a new software update on it (8/26 was the date). It would seem that something's not right though, I just haven't had time to call DirecTV about it...

#4 OFFLINE   dserban

dserban

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:24 PM

plus nothing gets recorded unless the DVR is on.
It used to be that on or off the shows were being recorded. I have two DVR and this is happening on one only so it is not a software issue.

#5 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:26 PM

I have had that on both a hr21 and a hr22. I restarted them and things seem to be back to normal.

#6 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:29 PM

My shows did not record today also on my HR22/100. I assumed it was a D* issue since I was at work all day and had no idea what was going on.

As soon as I turned the TV on at 5:10pm it started recording my 5pm show.

PS Ive never had a problem recording when the DVR or TV has been off.

Edited by Boston_bill, 20 October 2010 - 04:35 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:18 PM

I called customer service( boy do they suck after 5pm) I got a hold of a very nice woman in tech support. She did say she had received calls on this issue and resetting the box has resolved that.

I just did a test recording and it seems to be back to normal.

Edited by Boston_bill, 20 October 2010 - 05:19 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

I called customer service( boy do they suck after 5pm) I got a hold of a very nice woman in tech support. She did say she had received calls on this issue and resetting the box has resolved that.

I just did a test recording and it seems to be back to normal.

Can you clarify the reset process please? That will save some of us from having to call in. TIA.

#9 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

Can you clarify the reset process please? That will save some of us from having to call in. TIA.

Resetting the box meaning, opening the door where the access card is and pushing the button to reset the box.

#10 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

Only do the red button if the unit does not response to the remote. It is better to use the menu reset option.

Goto to menu->Parental, Fav's & Setup->System Setup->Reset->Restart Receiver

Then press the '-' on the remote to start the reset.

#11 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:09 PM

Resetting the box meaning, opening the door where the access card is and pushing the button to reset the box.

Thanks. I thought you might have meant a RBR but wanted to make sure.

#12 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,482 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:19 AM

Thanks. I thought you might have meant a RBR but wanted to make sure.

The 'soft' reset method described above by Fornold is much easier on the internal hard drive than pressing the red button ('hard' reset method).

Only use the 'hard' method if your DVR is locked up.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#13 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:51 AM

Same thing happened here. I have a program, at 6:00am, set to record every morning on my HR22. Monday and Tues. it didn't record it. Said something about "cancel'd, program not in Guide". Did a soft reset and it recorded Wed. morning and today. Maybe something happened to the guide info over the weekend? Anyhoo, all is back to normal as of today.

#14 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

I think this may be related to a guide issue & not a DVR or FW specific problem. The reason I say this, is that I had a recording set to go at 7:30pm Wednesday on one of my OTA channels.
Both the TV and my DVR HR22 were off when I got home last night as usual. As I passed by them (7:42pm) I noticed that the orange record light was not on. I turned on the TV and noticed that my OTA channel was missing from my guide. It was actually missing from all "channel lists" Channels I get, etc. but the channel had been replaced by another OTA Channel # on my recordings "to Do List". It was weird, I did a reset and actually had to run the OTA channel setup again to get the missing channel back. All seems good again, I'll see if it records my 7:30pm show today!!

Hope this helps

Hidef2010

#15 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:22 PM

There was nothing wrong with the guide for me. It was even on the channel it was supposed to be recording and the unit still didn't start recording it until after I turned the unit on.

The unit was absurdly slow, not just the normal slowness. It seems to be slowing down again, I may do a restart as a preventative.

#16 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:35 PM

Well, we have had several problems in the past when Directv changed the Format of the Guide Data and Locked up DVRs Nationally and this appears to be a similar but milder situation as I have seen it reported in a couple of other threads.

Keep your DVR on until Directv Resolves this problem.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

I had this happen to three of my HR22s - and those are the three I "turn off" by putting in standby mode. My HR20 hasn't had this problem and I keep it "on" all the time. My other HR22 that I keep ON had this problem a week or so when I went to watch The Amazing Race at 8:17 on Sunday night and that's exactly when my TAR and Simpson's starting recording. It wasn't recording but my button pushing somehow awakened the box even though it wasn't in standby mode.

A reboot seemed to fix the problem for now.

spam firewall