Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Adding a second DVR

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rkh

rkh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:29 AM

New to DTV and I am thinking of adding a second DVR for more flexibility. I have a SWM-LNB with an 8-tap block (only one tap used) connected to an HR24. There is a second unused coax running from next to the 8-tap block to where I want the receiver. The way I see it, all I would have to do is connect the coax to the 8-tap block and to the new receiver, plug it in and I would be good to activate.
My questions are : I see receivers for $200 but they are still leased ? Will DTV let me install myself ? Most important, can both receivers be setup to be controlled separately using IR (Harmony remote) even though they would be one on top of the other?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   z28lt1

z28lt1

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:52 AM

1 - Yes you should be able to connect to the SWM and be good to go.
2 - Yes, at $200 they are all still leased
3 - Yes, you can install yourself if you purchase (lease) one yourself. If you get it from DirecTV, it may depend
4 - You can program them to work on different IR programs, so you should be able to control two with one remote

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:21 AM

When you connect your new DVR, you will need to go through satellite setup and set it to be the same as your first one. Note how your current one is set, and then use those options when setting up the new one.

You can certainly control two DVRs separately using the DirecTV remote, so I would guess that would also be true with the Harmony, but don't know for sure.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,579 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:47 AM

You should be able to check the Harmony code database to see if multiple codes are available. Chances are excellent.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:01 AM

New to DTV and I am thinking of adding a second DVR for more flexibility. I have a SWM-LNB with an 8-tap block (only one tap used) connected to an HR24. There is a second unused coax running from next to the 8-tap block to where I want the receiver. The way I see it, all I would have to do is connect the coax to the 8-tap block and to the new receiver, plug it in and I would be good to activate.
My questions are : I see receivers for $200 but they are still leased ? Will DTV let me install myself ? Most important, can both receivers be setup to be controlled separately using IR (Harmony remote) even though they would be one on top of the other?

Yes, an SWiM-LNB (which is what I’m using) can handle up to 8 tuners. A DVR has two tuners and if the HR24 is all you have connected then you can add up to 6 additional tuners.

Any receiver you get from a retail outlet is going to be a lease. You certainly can install them yourself and DirecTV’s website has information on how to do it. This Link may be of help to you.

There are 8 different DirecTV receiver IR code sets. As long as they each have a different code set you can have them in the same room. I currently have two receivers in the same room. One using 00001 and the other using 00003(code set id’s for the DirecTV remotes). IIRC, Harmony has all eight code sets in it’s database. If not you could just set the DirecTV remote to the desired code set and “teach” the Harmony.

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 21 October 2010 - 08:02 AM.

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

spam firewall