Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading a HD Receiver to a HD DVR Receiver

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rlavinder

rlavinder

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:03 PM

I am wondering if I switch a HD Receiver to a HD DVR will I need a second swm unit or does it come with it because I have Whole Home DVR with on already on the current HD DVR? I am wondering so this second HD DVR will show up to use in the other rooms.

Thank you,

Rusty

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:06 PM

It will plug in the same way the receiver does. Just enable it to be a server, and you can watch shows across DVRs.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Codfishjoe

Codfishjoe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

what do you mean a second swm unit? like a second swm power inserter? Either way you'll more than likely be able to just plug it in and it will work unless your multiswitch needs to be upgraded to allow more tuners.
I am not really a codfish.

#4 OFFLINE   rlavinder

rlavinder

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

How will I know if I need a new multi switch and if so how much does that cost?

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

How many receivers and DVRs do you have now?

Each receiver counts as 1
Each DVR counts as 2

If the total currently equals 8, then you will need an upgrade to switch a receiver to a DVR. If the total us currently 7 or less, you wont need anything new.

Edited by Davenlr, 21 October 2010 - 08:30 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   rlavinder

rlavinder

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

1 HD DVR and 3 HD receivers. Looking to replace 1 HD receiver to HD DVR.

#7 OFFLINE   rlavinder

rlavinder

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

So I should be able just to hook it up and be ready to go for Whole Home DVR and be able to watch what is recorded on the new DVR?

#8 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:02 PM

Yep, that would make 4 DVRS, or 8 tuners. The limit of the switch/LNB you probably have. Plug and play. Add any more later, and you will need an upgrade.

#9 OFFLINE   rlavinder

rlavinder

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:11 PM

Yep, that would make 4 DVRS, or 8 tuners. The limit of the switch/LNB you probably have. Plug and play. Add any more later, and you will need an upgrade.

How many receivers and DVRs do you have now?

Each receiver counts as 1
Each DVR counts as 2

If the total currently equals 8, then you will need an upgrade to switch a receiver to a DVR. If the total us currently 7 or less, you wont need anything new.

So since mine will equal 8 will I need a upgrade because the way I read these are not the same?

#10 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:14 PM

I read it wrong. YOu currently have 5 tuners, switching out a receiver to a dvr would make 6 tuners, so you will still have two slots left (one additional DVR or two receivers).

Sorry. Its late.

#11 OFFLINE   rlavinder

rlavinder

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:16 PM

Thats ok. Just making sure before I buy one. Thanks for being so helpful.

#12 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:17 PM

Not a problem. Just a note, activating a DVR and turned in a receiver will restart your two year commitment. Just FYI.

#13 OFFLINE   rlavinder

rlavinder

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:33 PM

I was aware of that. I just started in Aug. so it would only add a few months on. Thats ok.

#14 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:35 PM

Great. Enjoy the new DVR. 4 tuners to record off is almost a must have :)

#15 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:01 AM

I think the OP may be a little confused here. He wants to make sure the new HD-DVR works with the Whole Home system. In order for that to work he will either need an HR24, or a DECA adapter if they send him and older HR2x model. I think he was mistakenly asking if he needs a new SWM instead of a new DECA.

#16 OFFLINE   rlavinder

rlavinder

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:50 PM

I ordered a HR24 from Amazon.com to make sure I got a HR24 DVR. So I don't need any other parts to make it work with my Whole Home DVR setup?

#17 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,802 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:54 PM

1 HD DVR and 3 HD receivers. Looking to replace 1 HD receiver to HD DVR.

2 DVR's + 2 Receivers = 6 Tuners

You're ok for 2 more tuners before having to super size your SWM.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,802 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:55 PM

I ordered a HR24 from Amazon.com to make sure I got a HR24 DVR. So I don't need any other parts to make it work with my Whole Home DVR setup?

If you are getting an HR24 you need nothing else, DECA is built in.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall