Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can old equipment be activated without a contract?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brewster2010

brewster2010

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:26 AM

Hi,

I used to be a Direct TV subscriber (cancelled in 2006). I have old used equipment in my house. I am part of the Cablevision/Fox mess and really want to see the games this weekend. I hooked up the receiver and my program guide does load so the dish appears to be working and receiving a signal.

Will DTV offer a reinstatement (understand I will pay full price for the plan) without a 2 year contract? Is there anyway around this policy.

Have thought long and hard about getting D again but always had rain fade probelms, antenna is on highest part of roof (always worried if D* went out in the middle of the Winter. Loved the service but with the negatives can't see myself committing for 2 years). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:48 AM

Hi,

I used to be a Direct TV subscriber (cancelled in 2006). I have old used equipment in my house. I am part of the Cablevision/Fox mess and really want to see the games this weekend. I hooked up the receiver and my program guide does load so the dish appears to be working and receiving a signal.

Will DTV offer a reinstatement (understand I will pay full price for the plan) without a 2 year contract? Is there anyway around this policy.

Have thought long and hard about getting D again but always had rain fade probelms, antenna is on highest part of roof (always worried if D* went out in the middle of the Winter. Loved the service but with the negatives can't see myself committing for 2 years). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Things have changed quite a bit since the dark days of the end of '06. I don't have rain fade problems except when a nasty weather cell is on top of my house and that's really infrequent and usually for a short duration. The rest of the service is better than the services of the rest of the providers. Or I wouldn't be with D*. I think you will still have to suffer thru the 2 year commitment, but it goes by quickly. The various departments are better than they were in '06 and the equipment is better. You should have an enjoyable experience. Take the chance, it's worth it.

Rich

#3 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,251 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:48 AM

Only DIRECTV can tell you how they will treat you. Someone elsewhere suggested that there is a way you can pay an activation fee of $50 and get around the commitment.

A new security card may be required.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:51 AM

Only DIRECTV can tell you how they will treat you. Someone elsewhere suggested that there is a way you can pay an activation fee of $50 and get around the commitment.

A new security card may be required.

Might have to buy a new access card for each DVR, might not. You're right, best to call D* and see what they say.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:55 AM

They may consider you a current customer if you "re-up". Normally, activating owned equipment by a current customer doesn't have a commitment attached, but this isn't exactly the normal situation! Like others have said, it's best to call and ask.

#6 OFFLINE   Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:53 PM

Hi,

your account was disconnected for more than two years so you will be treated like a new customer. Once your account is activated they should be able to reactivate your old receivers if they are compatible with your installation...

spam firewall