Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Other Anti-DVR Commercial; On-Screen Bugs, Banners & What-Nots

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:10 PM

Used to be a simple translucent Network ID bug in the lower right corner, barely noticeable, but necessary to fight pirating.

Now they're full color, full motion, picture-in-picture, multiple lines of text. Some of them take up close to 20% of the screen height, covering other on-screen text that's part of the program.

On "The First 48", A&E places these over relevant parts of the program when the interview is in another language or the audio is limited and they use sub-titles.

CMT is re-running original "Dukes of Hazzard" and whether or not you like the program to begin with, they make it difficult to watch with the full width banner that rolls down literally once per minute.

Other channels are worse.

Most are in-network self promos, but I have seen some cross-network promos, and even some product ads.

Edited by SayWhat?, 22 October 2010 - 12:11 PM.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Polardog

Polardog

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:46 PM

This has been a gripe of mine for years. Long gone are small out of the way station logos on the bottom right of your TV screen. First of all, if I tune to a channel most likely I KNOW what channel I'm tuned to and do not need a reminder. A simple voice over "your watching CBS" just before the endless commercials we're subject to would take care of the stress of loosing track of what station your tuned to.
The Weather Channel has the bottom 3rd of the TV screen (and sometimes the left 3rd also) bannered with forecasts, station ID & animated promos of programming at times. Very often these banners block radar & forecast maps, weather video and people from the nose down. I see no reason for this kind of excess combined with teeth chattering computer generated noise each time a screen shot changes.
Maybe someones been sleeping in the control room all these years. Or, they have nothing better to do as it relates to making TV viewing at least moderately pleasant. Or they just don't care.
Its not only TWC, they all do it. Its a disease.

#3 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

I watch much less TV over-the-air and from cable channels than I used to view. Those "bugs" and other crap are one of the main reasons.

My wife was watching the Stargate movie the other evening on some cable channel. The channel's animated "bug" and banners covered up the film's captions.

It's ironic that we now have a sharp, wide-screen HD picture .... which is covered up by crap.

-- Roger

Edited by jadebox, 22 October 2010 - 01:00 PM.

#4 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

TWC no longer exists to me. That total waste of bandwidth was deleted from my channel lineup over a year ago.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:49 PM

Used to be a simple translucent Network ID bug in the lower right corner, barely noticeable, but necessary to fight pirating.

Except when used on things like "exclusive" news and sports video, they have nothing to do with potential piracy -- they're there only for self-promotion.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#6 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:01 AM

I think complaints about how the bugs and other overlays ruin the archiving value of the video are myopically self-centered and irrational. Broadcast channels present programming for people to watch, not archive. They are under no obligation to placate, and gain nothing from, viewers who seek to archive programming.

So putting that aspect aside, it's really a matter us viewers rewarding broadcasters for these things. If the vast majority of viewers would stop watching channels that applied bugs and other overlays, then eventually they'd go away. As long as the vast majority of viewers don't care enough about bugs and overlays to "put their money where their mouth is" then these things will, and indeed as a result, should, remain.

As others have pointed out: There are sources of video without bugs and other overlays, most notably video discs. If you really are sincere about your objection to these things, then you should be restricting your video consumption to those channels that respect your priorities.

Edited by bicker1, 23 October 2010 - 06:03 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,908 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

They will never stop until they are regulated. I think the FCC should get congress involved.

#8 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:15 PM

Sure, re-regulate telecom and give every service provider a guaranteed profit, as we enjoyed when I worked for the Bell System. What you get in return is increasingly less and less value, and practically no innovation. :rolleyes:

The proper approach to having great service is providing substantial incentive to providers to provide great service. Regulating them is the worst possible approach to getting what you want.

Perhaps you were thinking about enslaving them, rather than regulating them. That might yield the results you were hoping for. :)

#9 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,908 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

Perhaps you were thinking about enslaving them, rather than regulating them. That might yield the results you were hoping for. :)

Sarcasm is my friend:)

#10 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

Yeah, CMT is unwatchable because of that banner.

#11 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:27 PM

These brought to you by people that think people have their own "brand". We're doomed! :)

#12 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:03 AM

Yeah, CMT is unwatchable because of that banner.

Despite the fact that many people do watch it. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you meant to say something else?

spam firewall