Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multi-Room Viewing and Static IP Addresses - Discussion

switch dish direct to vs

• Please log in to reply
392 replies to this topic

#376 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

Unfortunately, even with the newly added static IP addresses, the HR20 seems to stop seeing the HR44 or visa versa every few days. This started a few days prior to my upgrade to the HR44 so I'm pretty sure it's not that. I even replaced one of my two HR20's with the new Genie. I guess I chose the wrong one? Rebooting always beings them back. Is their an easier way?

Also, any other troubleshooting ideas other than just replacing the HR20?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha: RX-A2010, Samsung: UN55B8000, Oppo; BDP-93,,Yamaha: CDC-685
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
AppleTV, Roku3, Amazon: FireStick, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
See links above for additional system details.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#377 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

I'm staring to see a pattern with this loss of DVR connectivity (it happened again yesterday). I'm not positive yet but it appears that the HR44 and HR20 lose connectivity with each other whenever either receive a software update or are rebooted for any other reason. It seems that one or the other of my DVRs have been receiving numerous updates over the past few weeks and each time, I then need to reboot both of them so they can see each other again. Both of them are on UPS/conditioner units so I'll have to keep an eye on this to confirm its due to software updates/reboots.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha: RX-A2010, Samsung: UN55B8000, Oppo; BDP-93,,Yamaha: CDC-685
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
AppleTV, Roku3, Amazon: FireStick, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
See links above for additional system details.

#378 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 338 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

Question:  I am moving from Static IPs to DHCP Reservations.  A couple of questions:

Will I be ok if I don't "delete" the static IP from my D* receivers but still reserve the IP address in my router's DHCP reservations page?  Also, I have opened up my DHCP range to include the IP addresses that are currently assigned staticly on the receivers.  Should I expect those to show up on my router's routing table?  Finally, if I wanted to "delete" the static IPs from my D* receivers, how would I go about doing that? 

Thanks!

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#379 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,537 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

Question:  I am moving from Static IPs to DHCP Reservations.  A couple of questions:

Will I be ok if I don't "delete" the static IP from my D* receivers but still reserve the IP address in my router's DHCP reservations page? It should not make a difference 

Also, I have opened up my DHCP range to include the IP addresses that are currently assigned staticly on the receivers.  Should I expect those to show up on my router's routing table?  I would think so

Finally, if I wanted to "delete" the static IPs from my D* receivers, how would I go about doing that? select "restore defaults" from the network set up menu

Thanks!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#380 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 338 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

Thanks, Peds!  I've started migrating all of my static IPs to DHCP reservations. 

#381 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,089 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see a thread "Glitches increase after setting HRs back to DHCP".

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#382 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,115 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

That's not been my experience at all. 

What is to be gained by DHCP reservations these days? Yes, for GenieGo, but DVRs? I am under the impression that whatever static IPs or reservations fixed has long passed. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#383 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,537 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

I am of the believe that network management is done more intelligently by the router than by a human, at least in residential networks.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#384 OFFLINE   Bohica

Bohica

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

Depends on how intelligent the human is ......

#385 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:52 AM

I have a hard time finding any need for static anything in a home environment personally.

#386 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,332 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:03 AM

I have a hard time finding any need for static anything in a home environment personally.

We've used a reserved IP with WPA2 security on all WIFI in this household for many years.

Our WIFI is rock solid throughout the home, and has never had any operational, connection, or performance issues. Considering the current setup to support more than 24 reserved WIFI devices (including family members who come by with their tablets and other devices)...that seems like a good thing.

In working with a significant Moca/DECA network of DirecTV hardware - all network/Internet enabled - having this reliability has proven to work out well using a reserved IP setup. It has also made things very easy and reliable as the equipment has changed over the years.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#387 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,537 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

We've used a reserved IP with WPA2 security on all WIFI in this household for many years.

but the  question is why?

the same should be achieved using DHCP, with less effort!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#388 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,332 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

but the  question is why?

the same should be achieved using DHCP, with less effort!

Why - by choice.

There are a few routers (only certain models) that simply don't retain a solid WIFI signal in DHCP IP mode - they should - but they don't. I've seen 2 cases where this has happened....WIFI dropped off, and DHCP took as much as 20 seconds to reestablish the IP. This tends to happen not only in limited device cases, but when there are a larger number of DHCP IPs being assigned by the router.

Grant it...it's an exception situation for most folks...but it happens. reserved IP eliminates the issue.

One last tidbit - by assigning a reserved IP...one can keep easy track of which device has what IP for diagnostic purposes.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#389 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 338 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

Why - by choice.

Yep.  It's a choice I made.  First of all, I'm pretty organized and like to keep track of things like this.  By using DHCP reservations, I am able to "rename" the devices I have reserved.  For instance, I have 2 Vizio web connected TVs.  I am able to rename one Vizio-Living Rm and the other Vizio-MasterBed on the reservations page.   Secondly, even with static IPs set on all of my boxes and a DHCP reservation for my GenieGo, I was previously unable to "see" one of my DVR lists on the GG, even though all of the apps said it was visible.  Now that I have DHCP reservations for all and have reset the GG, it now sees everything and all recordings.  Sure, that's anecdotal evidence at best, but it worked for me, so I'm inclined to do it.  Thirdly, with all of the new WiFi enabled devices (thermostats, smoke detectors, phones, tablets, TVs, washers, dryers, refrigerators[?!], etc.) that are part of or can be added to my network, I just prefer to be able to take a look at my routing table and know where everything is so if/when there are ever any issues I can troubleshoot faster. 

#390 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,537 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

Yep.  It's a choice I made.  First of all, I'm pretty organized and like to keep track of things like this.  By using DHCP reservations, I am able to "rename" the devices I have reserved.  For instance, I have 2 Vizio web connected TVs.  I am able to rename one Vizio-Living Rm and the other Vizio-MasterBed on the reservations page.  

there is an app called Fing, which lets you "see" and rename your LAN.  If you use static, you need to keep track of which IP are given out.  these can lead to more mistakes.  while DHCP is "plug n play"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#391 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

Interesting discussion.

I just checked my Router (Actiontec Q1000) and it has a setting for

"DHCP Reservations on DHCP IP Allocation".

By default, it's enabled.

So, all 30+ devices on my home network have their own DHCP reservation.

I have had extremely good luck with this router and Whole Home viewing.

Attached Thumbnails

• DHCP Reservation.png

#392 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 338 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

DHCP Leases keeps track of what ip is assigned to whuch device right in my router's interface.

I like tinkering with it, and to each their own, right? :)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using DBSTalk mobile app

#393 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,883 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

Nice thing about Fing as it runs on IOS devices and may on Droid I love this tool!

Really wish the Apple Corps would expose the network internals so one could use the devices for signal metering and such. Hafta pull up one of my laptops or netbook for that stuff and use inSSIDer.

Have you paid up and use Fingbox? I have yet to but the nagware is annoying enough I almost have given in.

Don "I'd call it spouseware but someone would get offended I'm sure" Bolton

there is an app called Fing, which lets you "see" and rename your LAN.  If you use static, you need to keep track of which IP are given out.  these can lead to more mistakes.  while DHCP is "plug n play"

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...