Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multi-Room Viewing and Static IP Addresses - Discussion

switch dish direct to vs

• Please log in to reply
392 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,280 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:27 PM

my adapters and the router are both N.

So based on your prices, would that mean I'd need to buy a DECA module for each HR (and H) which means 4 altogether? (actually I have one "off network H21, so I'd probably do 5). At even $100 a pop, that's a lot of mullah to lay out. It was my understanding that it was $99 plus $49 for installation for the "whole home solution". Is that not correct?

The price of Whole Home has recently gone up to $199, but depending on your account history, you might get it for less.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#202 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:41 PM

Since I've been using DECA for over a year, it has been basically "bulletproof", and most/all issues have been with the internet/router connection, since there isn't a "standard" router.
..., then DECA is the only way to go.

My DECA has definitely made my WHDVR Service "Bullet Proof" and I am just Loving It.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#203 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,248 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

my adapters and the router are both N.

So based on your prices, would that mean I'd need to buy a DECA module for each HR (and H) which means 4 altogether? (actually I have one "off network H21, so I'd probably do 5). At even $100 a pop, that's a lot of mullah to lay out. It was my understanding that it was $99 plus $49 for installation for the "whole home solution". Is that not correct?

No, ebay pricing is around 20 per deca plus 20 or so for a PI. H/HR24s have Deca built in but I don't think you had a 24.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#204 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:51 PM

I would say that going to DECA for MRV is the Best Thing I Ever Did For MRV and I waited 4 years to get MRV so I am Very Satisfied so I would recommend anyone who is having Problems with their LAN Network doing their MRV, do yourself a Favor and GO DECA!!!
Here's My Setup

#205 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:34 AM

No, ebay pricing is around 20 per deca plus 20 or so for a PI. H/HR24s have Deca built in but I don't think you had a 24.

I tend not to go ebay on these things, as I'm not sure if DirecTV will support it. But, I'm still not clear on this. For my 5 boxes does that mean I'd have to purchase a DECA for each or does the $199 deal from DirecTV include all necessary DECAs (and whatever other equipment I might need)?

#206 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,280 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

I tend not to go ebay on these things, as I'm not sure if DirecTV will support it. But, I'm still not clear on this. For my 5 boxes does that mean I'd have to purchase a DECA for each or does the $199 deal from DirecTV include all necessary DECAs (and whatever other equipment I might need)?

The $199 fee includes all hardware to get you on a SWiM system, any DECAs necessary for non-H/HR24 receivers, the Cinema Connection Kit, and receiver swap outs necessary for SWiM.

As for purchasing DECAs via ebay, don't be too concerned about DirecTV. If you are doing that anyways, your setup will be considered to be unsupported. The only way to have a supported MRV setup is to purchse the Whole Home DVR upgrade via DirecTV.

The biggest area this comes into play is that if you get an additional receiver, DirecTV will supply you with a DECA if it is not a H/HR24. If you have an unsupported setup, you would need to get the DECA on your own dime.

- Merg

#207 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:28 AM

The $199 fee includes all hardware to get you on a SWiM system, any DECAs necessary for non-H/HR24 receivers, the Cinema Connection Kit, and receiver swap outs necessary for SWiM.

As for purchasing DECAs via ebay, don't be too concerned about DirecTV. If you are doing that anyways, your setup will be considered to be unsupported. The only way to have a supported MRV setup is to purchse the Whole Home DVR upgrade via DirecTV.

The biggest area this comes into play is that if you get an additional receiver, DirecTV will supply you with a DECA if it is not a H/HR24. If you have an unsupported setup, you would need to get the DECA on your own dime.

- Merg

No, I don't intend to get another receiver. So, then the $199 (or whatever I negotiate) should cover cover my costs I'm assuming. Thanks for the info. I will be looking into this over the next few days (might also upgrade my programming package while I'm at it :) ).

#208 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:16 AM

No, I don't intend to get another receiver. So, then the $199 (or whatever I negotiate) should cover cover my costs I'm assuming. Thanks for the info. I will be looking into this over the next few days (might also upgrade my programming package while I'm at it :) ).

If you do order Whole home DVR and want to have internet connectiviity, make sure you tell the CSR that you alos want to connect to the internet so they provide the additional DECA and PI. If you do it latter, there will be an added cost.

#209 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:11 AM

If you do order Whole home DVR and want to have internet connectiviity, make sure you tell the CSR that you alos want to connect to the internet so they provide the additional DECA and PI. If you do it latter, there will be an added cost.

Thanks. I'm assuming I will need internet connectivity to do things like On Demand and TV Apps?

#210 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,280 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:12 AM

I don't believe that is an issue anymore as the Cinema Connection Kit is now included in all Whole Home DVR upgrades.

- Merg

#211 OFFLINE   moxie1617

moxie1617

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:56 PM

It's been two weeks since I changed over to static IP's on my HR-24, HR-23, and H24. I haven't had a box drop off of the network since. It had been a weekly occurrence before that.

Just want to say thanks to you all for the advice.

#212 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,636 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:18 PM

Thanks. I'm assuming I will need internet connectivity to do things like On Demand and TV Apps?

In addition to connection of the DECA cloud to your home network for DIRECTV2PC and Media Share, yes

#213 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:27 AM

Yet another endorsement here. Instead of the system ultimately failing every night to support usable "trick play" across boxes, the switch to statics has mitigated things greatly.

It's not entirely clear why this works given that the boxes should have constantly received the same IP from the router, but it does appear to work. This suggests some kind of strange DHCP implementation on the boxes themselves, but again, I'm not really objecting.

#214 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,280 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:00 AM

Yet another endorsement here. Instead of the system ultimately failing every night to support usable "trick play" across boxes, the switch to statics has mitigated things greatly.

It's not entirely clear why this works given that the boxes should have constantly received the same IP from the router, but it does appear to work. This suggests some kind of strange DHCP implementation on the boxes themselves, but again, I'm not really objecting.

Glad to hear it is working for you.

- Merg

#215 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:10 AM

Yes, switching to Static IP Addresses works and I don't know why but all I really cared about was getting it to work not why it doesn't work. I learned more about Networking than I ever really cared to learn but I guess it didn't hurt because it helped me Set Up my Slingbox with Port Forwarding.
Here's My Setup

#216 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts
  • LocationFranklin, TN

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:41 PM

worked for me but now I'm starting to have issues again w/MRV. Choppy playback, no playback and the dreaded "no audio/video packets received" error message. My COAX network is fine and I can MRV to one DVR but not the other and have switched things up at the splitter to try to isolate the issue. Finally, I removed the BB DECA unit and restored network defaults. Now the machines work great. Bottom line is that my static IPs outside my DHCP pool solved the problem for a couple of months and now they are back again. Something else is fishy...:confused:
  • Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#217 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,384 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:09 AM

worked for me but now I'm starting to have issues again w/MRV. Choppy playback, no playback and the dreaded "no audio/video packets received" error message. My COAX network is fine and I can MRV to one DVR but not the other and have switched things up at the splitter to try to isolate the issue. Finally, I removed the BB DECA unit and restored network defaults. Now the machines work great. Bottom line is that my static IPs outside my DHCP pool solved the problem for a couple of months and now they are back again. Something else is fishy...:confused:

I suspect your closing statement is the most revealing and pertinent.

I've been running static IP here for a very long time, including with DECA, and seen nothing but stable, reliable, and unchanging results.

What I have seen in the field with some installations is that different routers "behave" differently with IP setups and configurations. Honestly, many routers have marginal documentation on properly configuring the settings. I'd start reviewing your router settings (again), just to make sure something is not askew there...
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#218 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,142 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:28 AM

I'd start reviewing your router settings (again), just to make sure something is not askew there...

Since without the BB DECA connected it still doesn't perform well [in his other thread], I'm leaning towards something else "askew there". ;)
A.K.A VOS

#219 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,384 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:27 AM

Since without the BB DECA connected it still doesn't perform well [in his other thread], I'm leaning towards something else "askew there". ;)

Probably so....just figured starting with the router might eliminate that from the "list". ;):)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#220 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts
  • LocationFranklin, TN

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:47 PM

yup.. Posted too soon on that :)

don't think it is the router..
  • Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#221 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

Yes, switching to Static IP Addresses works and I don't know why but all I really cared about was getting it to work not why it doesn't work. I learned more about Networking than I ever really cared to learn but I guess it didn't hurt because it helped me Set Up my Slingbox with Port Forwarding.

I've read this whole thread and I'm still lost. I can find the IP addresses on the DVRs but can't figure out what to change them to. Called yesterday about a DECA set up and went through 4 different departments and no one could set it up so that there would be a SWM 16 on the work order. Somewhere in that process WH got deactivated and I had to call back today and go through several CSRs to get it turned back on. I have 6 units hooked up to a switch and it works perfectly. But as soon as I connect the switch to the router I start to have dropouts on MRV and the Router. Disconnect and reset them both and all is well again. Anyway MRV is more important to me than VOD so I'm just going to leave it alone. Thanks to all who have given their knowledge to this thread.

#222 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,280 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:34 AM

I've read this whole thread and I'm still lost. I can find the IP addresses on the DVRs but can't figure out what to change them to. Called yesterday about a DECA set up and went through 4 different departments and no one could set it up so that there would be a SWM 16 on the work order. Somewhere in that process WH got deactivated and I had to call back today and go through several CSRs to get it turned back on. I have 6 units hooked up to a switch and it works perfectly. But as soon as I connect the switch to the router I start to have dropouts on MRV and the Router. Disconnect and reset them both and all is well again. Anyway MRV is more important to me than VOD so I'm just going to leave it alone. Thanks to all who have given their knowledge to this thread.

Check out this thread for info on setting up IP addresses for your receivers.

As for getting a SWM16 when upgrading to WHDVR, what is your current setup? Provide that info and we can accurately tell you what you will get if you upgrade.

- Merg

#223 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:43 AM

Yes, check out Merg's Post and Assign Your DVR's IP Address outside of the Range of your Router's Assigned IP Addresses. Then they will stay Assigned and not ever be used by DHCP when it attempts to assign a new IP Address.
Here's My Setup

#224 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 02:47 PM

Thanks guys but how do I know the range of my routers assigned IP addresses?

OK I checked out that thread and looked at my router and it's a WGR614v7.
Hopefully the same as the v9 that the chart shows.

It says Router IP address is 192.168.1.1 .

DHCP Pool Range
192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254

Now I go to my DVRs/Receiver and go to network/advanced set up and change the numbers to what? Sorry for being so slow to get this, I don't know what any of those numbers mean. My son bought the router and I plugged the computer into it and it works so I never had to know anything about IP addresses.

Edited by joed32, 25 December 2010 - 02:57 PM.

#225 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,142 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 02:54 PM

Thanks guys but how do I know the range of my routers assigned IP addresses.

What make router do you have?

http://www.dbstalk.c...739&postcount=3
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...