Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Setting up slimline at Deer Camp. Possible?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kingstonlake

kingstonlake

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:09 AM

My apologies in advance if this is redundant.

I would like to take my dish up to deer camp. We got 20 guys and Michigans U.P. does not get the dumb converter signal. Anywhoooo

I have a slimline dish installed at my home last year. My HD receiver is an H23-600, my Standard def receiver is a D12-500. The TV up north is standard def, can i just bring up the D12, or do I have to bring up the H23? I plan on mounting the dish on a 20-30ft antenna tower because of the large number of hardwoods at the cabin. Is this do-able? Or am I wasting my time?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! A quick call to Directv said I can't because of the dish having the 3 style bulbs (whatever that is) I'm suspicious of her claim!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:14 AM

You can take your tuner with you, it would be easier to tune the dish for the D12. You would only need to find the 101 sat which is quite easy. Find any old 18" round dish, cheap on eBay, etc. Have fun.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   kingstonlake

kingstonlake

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:20 AM

You can take your tuner with you, it would be easier to tune the dish for the D12. You would only need to find the 101 sat which is quite easy. Find any old 18" round dish, cheap on eBay, etc. Have fun.

Awesome thanks. Does the HD receiver automatically search for the HD sat? Is this why its best to just use the D12 receiver? If I'm not able to grab an old 18" round would the slimline work?

#4 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:29 AM

I would find the 18" dish as the Slimline is much heavier and harder to handle, especially up a 20 foot mast. The D12 will work fine with the 18" dish, SD only though.
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,940 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:29 AM

If you are currently on an SWM LNB, then I would recommend the same for your cabin, it's much easier not having to change the satellite setup back and forth.

Other than that, I also agree an 18" round dish is easier to install and align, and would server the purpose for SD (almost all of the SD programming is on the 101 satellite).

Any current model receiver (SD or HD) can be set in the satellite setup with regard to what satellites it looks for. If all you want is SD, you could also take the HD unit and do the sat setup for only the 101 satellite, but why? Just use the D12.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,819 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:31 AM

The idea behind using a single slot is that the exposure to the satellite slot only needs to be about the size of the dish. If you go for more slots, you end up needing a window larger (but not a lot) than the dish.

The HD slots are a lot less tolerant of interference than the 101W slot.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

You will never be able to aim a slimline on a 20 or 30' antenna tower. Even the slightest breeze will cause the picture to go out (assuming you are able to get it pointed in the first place). It is also very heavy. Very time consuming to aim. I would not attempt installing a slimline. Buy a 18" round, or find someone who has upgraded and has an old one on their house they will give you.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#8 OFFLINE   kingstonlake

kingstonlake

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:24 AM

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the help. I'll find an old 18" dish and run it up the tower. I assume I use Directv's sat finder for alignment?

#9 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:39 AM

Yes sir...
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H

#10 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 625 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the help. I'll find an old 18" dish and run it up the tower. I assume I use Directv's sat finder for alignment?

Back when we had our fifth-wheel trailer, we carried an old SD receiver, an 18" dish and a tripod mount around the country with us. (It was an especially welcome addition when we worked at Yellowstone National Park one summer, where we couldn't even pick up a radio station off-air, let alone television.) We got pretty good at setting up the dish by entering the local zip code into the receiver and having it tell us the required azimuth and elevation. Best tip I can give is to be sure you have the mast dead-on vertical before trying to aim the dish.

[Off topic: For anyone interested in our Yellowstone work experience: http://members.toast.net/fdw/ynp/]
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...