Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need advice for upgrading equipment for long standing customer

wiring

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jedis

Jedis

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:14 AM

Our dish is about 10 years old and has two cables coming out of it. It's an old SD dish - we don't have HD. We're starting to have reception issues with some channels on all DVRs - Spike randomly goes in and out on all of the boxes. Our multiswitch is also original.

I would like to get the new Single wire setup, if possible, so we can finally get two tuners in rooms with just one cable.

We have a DirecTivo DSR704 in the master bedroom, DirecTivo R-10 in the living room, an old regular box D-10 (I think) in a bedroom, a DirecTivo DSR708 in another bedroom, and another DirecTivo DSR708 in another bedroom.

Right now, only the living room has two cables going to it. One of the bedrooms has an adapter I bought from a third party approximately 5-6 years ago that combines the two signals on one cable and was around $150.

I would like to upgrade to all new equipment, but am not sure how to go about doing this. Obviously, we are not a new customer, but have had DirecTV for 10+ years (we were originally a PrimeStar customer when DirecTV bought them out).

We also have old PrimeStar pricing for mirroring fees - we pay the DVR fee and one mirroring fee, once, for the entire account and multiple receivers. I am concerned that possibly getting new equipment may alter that pricing and cause the price to double.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? What can I expect DirecTV to offer if I call up and ask about upgrading everything? Do you think the DVR/mirroring fees will increase? Is there a special dept I should talk to?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated in sorting all of this out. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:26 AM

You can expect a new contract for two years, $5 for each additional DVR or receiver over one, all new cables (and an associated cost if you want then fished through the walls), and ALL your current equipment will need to be replaced as I believe the Single Wire Multiswitch only had two outputs for legacy boxes (someone else will confirm or correct me).

I wouldnt have any idea how much they will charge you for the actual boxes.

About the only way to find out for sure is to call them...Im not aware of any special department they have for upgrades, so just call or email them and see what they offer. Im pretty sure its going to cost a lot more per month though.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,959 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:43 AM

You can expect a new contract for two years, $5 for each additional DVR or receiver over one, all new cables (and an associated cost if you want then fished through the walls), and ALL your current equipment will need to be replaced as I believe the Single Wire Multiswitch only had two outputs for legacy boxes (someone else will confirm or correct me).

The popular SWMLine dish has no legacy outputs. The SWM8 has three legacy outputs.

By my count, the OP has 9 tuners so a SWMLine won't get it done even if all of the current receivers are replaced. That leaves installing a "legacy" Slimline with four cables coming in and split to a WB68 (for any remaining legacy receivers) and a SWM8 (for the HD receivers).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   SteelCity86

SteelCity86

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:58 AM

When I originally upgraded to HD I was also a long standing customer with DirecTv. I knew I would need an HD receiver, but after doing some research I found out I would need a new dish as well. Saw some different prices, was ready to pay $200 or more, but when I called DirecTv they said that not only would they give me a free HD box, but they would also give me a free dish and multiswitch! And to top it all off they installed the whole thing for free. Said they were doing everything for free because of how long I had been a DirecTv customer "we'll take care of ya" the CSR said. I couldnt believe it. I didnt do any negotiating or anything, it was all offered to me when I called. I've always been happy with DirecTv, they have always been more than fair with me. Your situation is a little different, and this was 3 or 4 years ago, but I would still call and ask. Maybe you can work something out.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

Here's the business rules:

If you intend to keep ANY of those old receivers active, you will NOT receive a SWM system, as DirecTV business rules disallow SWM systems if customers have active legacy receivers, which aren't SWM-compatible.

Assuming you upgrade all receivers, then you'll get a SWM system.

You'll have to call and find out what kind of deal they can offer you.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#6 OFFLINE   erickufrin

erickufrin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

I am just out of contract (1mo) and I called up and asked for an additional HD-DVR and 2 additional HD boxes. No problem. Free. :)

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:46 AM

The popular SWMLine dish has no legacy outputs. The SWM8 has three legacy outputs.

SWM8's are only very, very rarely used, and only on specific configurations: HD, 8 or less tuners, and International programming. Outside of that, the chance of a tech even having a SWM8 is virtually zero. They cost well over $100 and are very tightly controlled, meaning, if it is used on a job where it isn't on the work order, the tech will have to pay for it out of his check. Not much danger of that, though, since it takes an act of God to get one out of the warehouse in the first place.

SWM16s are a little more common, but still difficult to get, and only used when specifically listed on a work order.

Customers cannot just request these parts; the work order system decides when the part is needed based on receiver/tuner count and programming along with the business rules. Customers who want SWM who don't otherwise qualify either need to do an MRV upgrade, which will require replacement of all non-SWM-compatible receivers with LIKE SWM-compatible receivers (i.e., SD-DVR gets replaced with SWM-compatible SD-DVR), or they have to buy the SWM gear themselves from a retailer.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#8 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:59 AM

The OP needs to think through whether they need that many DVRs. With the Whole House DVR, a couple of his DVR locations could be changed to HD receivers. This would reduce the tuner count for a SWM install.

I count 5 rooms with receivers. I'd put in two HRs (Living room and Master Bedroom), with three regular HD receivers in the other bedrooms. These receivers can access recorded content on the HRs.

The upside of changing to SWM is that it only needs one cable to each room.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#9 OFFLINE   Jedis

Jedis

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

If we do the HD package, is it extra for HD for each room, or just one flat monthly fee?

It sounds like the whole house DVR might be the best way to go and cut down on some of the DVRs -- so that we could do the Single wire setup and get the tuners under 8?

Are the new boxes limited to two tuners like the DirecTivo boxes?

#10 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

There is only 1 charge per account for HD package, DVR service and Whole Home DVR.

And yes, all DirecTV DVR's have only two DBS tuners in them. You can add a AM21 which adds two OTA/ATSC tuners but you're still limited to only using two tuners at a time.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#11 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

One HD fee per account, and they will usually give you that free for two years. All DVRs have two satellite tuners. Use two DVRS (for 4 simultaneous recordings), and then receivers for the other rooms to save initial costs, or just get all DVRs. Its $5 a month for each extra box, regardless of what kind it is.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#12 OFFLINE   Jedis

Jedis

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:53 PM

Ugh.

I just looked online and they want $99 for a DVR receiver that's not HD. I guess I will try to call and see if they offer any free ones, however, from what I am seeing is there is a $5/month lease fee on top of the $6/month mirroring fee?

Any other hidden fees I should be aware of?

#13 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:53 PM

If we do the HD package, is it extra for HD for each room, or just one flat monthly fee?

Yes. $10.00 per month HD Access - one flat fee for all HD receivers. There is also a $3.00 per month for Whole Home DVR. AND you might want to subscribe to DirecTV HD Extra Pack for $4.99 per month (you'll want to look at their web site to see whether those channels make it worth your while for the extra $5/month).

#14 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:58 PM

Ugh.

I just looked online and they want $99 for a DVR receiver that's not HD. I guess I will try to call and see if they offer any free ones, however, from what I am seeing is there is a $5/month lease fee on top of the $6/month mirroring fee?

Did you log in to your account? When I just go to the web site the HD DVR is listed at $199. When I log in, the HD DVR is $99.00 with free shipping.

You do need to call to see what they will offer you. Post back here to let us know; you might have to talk to a second CSR -- because you'll probably get a different answer.

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,101 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

Ugh.

Any other hidden fees I should be aware of?

The lease fee should be the same thing as the mirroring fee. They use the mirroring fee terminology for owned receivers. One receiver is free. You're charged the fee, but it is credited back on the same bill. That's for tax purposes, some states require tax on it.

#16 OFFLINE   Jedis

Jedis

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:02 PM

Did you log in to your account? When I just go to the web site the HD DVR is listed at $199. When I log in, the HD DVR is $99.00 with free shipping.

You do need to call to see what they will offer you. Post back here to let us know; you might have to talk to a second CSR -- because you'll probably get a different answer.

Yes I am logged in. I clicked My Equipment and then added both to my cart. Standard DVR is $99 and HD DVR is $199.

It does say at the top when I log in, "Thanks for being a loyal DIRECTV Customer since 2000".

#17 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:08 PM

You need to call and talk with them. I've been a subscriber since 1998, but I've had numerous updates including my 3rd HD DVR I ordered earlier today at a cost of $105 (and change -- $99 plus tax). As others have posted, they received a number of upgrades for free.

#18 OFFLINE   Jedis

Jedis

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:13 PM

Yeah, I'll have to see what they can offer me. This is what I am paying right now for the stuff I have posted above. Kinda hard to give up the price. I was holding out for the new TiVo to come out, but it's been delayed again. At this rate, I might be dead before it surfaces.

10/07/2010 XXXXXXXXXXXX DIRECTV DVR Service - Charge $7.00 $0.39
10/07/2010 XXXXXXXXXXXX Mirroring Fee-Household - Charge $5.00 $0.28
10/07/2010 XXXXXXXXXXXX CHOICE XTRA - Charge $63.99 $3.52

#19 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:20 PM

Here is what it looks like when I go to Upgrade one of my SD DVRs with an HD DVR.

What is interesting is that box "Special Offer" wasn't there around 3PM EST today.... but the $99 price was.

Attached Thumbnails

• HD DVR.jpg

Edited by trh, 27 October 2010 - 09:21 PM.
Update

#20 OFFLINE   Jedis

Jedis

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:33 PM

This is what shows for me when I add it to the cart:

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wiring

Protected By... spam firewall...And...