Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

EPG Errors?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

my guide is lagging this morning slower than normal anybody else?

Yesterday the EPG said NCLS was on KTVU at 1PM. But an infomercial was. I never saw the game. KTVU is owned by COX. I thought FOX pulled the game somehow.. Anyone else had problems with this? STRANGE!!!!!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

Yesterday the EPG said NCLS was on KTVU at 1PM. But an infomercial was. I never saw the game. KTVU is owned by COX. I thought FOX pulled the game somehow.. Anyone else had problems with this? STRANGE!!!!!

What is STRANGE is hijacking the thread with something unrelated to the thread. :rolleyes:

#3 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:06 PM

Well first, it's the NLCS, not the NCLS. Second, the game time was dependent on how the ALCS (not ACLS) game 6 turned out. Had NY won game 6, then SF/PHILLY would have been an afternoon game & NY/TX would have had the night time slot on TBS. Since the ALCS (not ACLS) ended, the NLCS (not NCLS) got the night time slot of Fox.

What is STRANGE is hijacking the thread with something unrelated to the thread. :rolleyes:

:lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 885 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:28 PM

Well first, it's the NLCS, not the NCLS. Second, the game time was dependent on how the ALCS (not ACLS) game 6 turned out. Had NY won game 6, then SF/PHILLY would have been an afternoon game & NY/TX would have had the night time slot on TBS. Since the ALCS (not ACLS) ended, the NLCS (not NCLS) got the night time slot of Fox.

:lol:

Since they only had a few hours to fix the guide I suppose they get a pass......:icon_stup......this time.......!pepsi!

:icon_band
Thank you and
Best of luck

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:50 PM

And for all guide's content issues - call ROVI, a company who own the guide data.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,208 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:52 PM

And for all guide's content issues - call ROVI, a company who own the guide data.

Tribune Media Services?

#7 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:46 PM

Since they only had a few hours to fix the guide I suppose they get a pass......:icon_stup......this time.......!pepsi!

:icon_band

The correct first pitch time was in our morning paper and the EPG never reflected a change, at least not my EPG. Usually those changes get made pretty quickly. If I was a conspiracy kind of guy I might suspect that since this was a Fox channel maybe a little hanky-panky going on? Probably not. :rolleyes:
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#8 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:22 AM

I did notice the sunday night guide info still listed the NLCS game on all of my fox stations, and I DID do an update. However, the program guide on my TVs digital tuner was correct, I think it pulls guide data from TVGUIDE somehow.....via internet?!? and not from Tribune.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,208 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:03 AM

I did notice the sunday night guide info still listed the NLCS game on all of my fox stations, and I DID do an update. However, the program guide on my TVs digital tuner was correct, I think it pulls guide data from TVGUIDE somehow.....via internet?!? and not from Tribune.

A TV set would get the guide OTA from the station itself. The receiver guide comes via satellite and has the TMS copyright on it. I've seen it updated on short notice for presidential speeches before ... so it is possible to change it.

If the change in the data DISH is forwarding is made before the nightly reboot/update it will show up in the guide all day long. If the change is made after the nightly update the receiver EPG will not immediately change. The change will be visible one show before (when the changed event is the next event in the EPG) or if the EPG is reloaded. The "present/next" EPG overwrites the overnight loaded EPG but only contains content for what is on now and next for each channel.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:07 AM

Tribune Media Services?

Been in touch with ROVI as a company collecting guide data and distributing to sat and cable, perhaps thru TMS (?).

#11 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:10 PM

I thought it was by Zap2it. But they are probably all the same company anyway. :rolleyes:

Who is ROVI? Do you have a number, email or web site for them?
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#12 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

I thought it was by Zap2it. But they are probably all the same company anyway. :rolleyes:

Who is ROVI? Do you have a number, email or web site for them?

Zap2It is a company Owned by Tribune which collects the Guide Data and perhaps ROVI is associated with Zap2It.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:49 PM

Zap2It is a company Owned by Tribune which collects the Guide Data and perhaps ROVI is associated with Zap2It.

Then there is TMS-LA Feedback [listings@zap2it.com], who replied to my complaint to Zap2it. :confused:

#14 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,712 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:03 PM

ROVI is the company that does TVGOS (at least the digital version).
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:20 PM

ROVI is the company that does TVGOS (at least the digital version).

and provide data [guide] to sat/cable/etc companies.

#16 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

and provide data [guide] to sat/cable/etc companies.

Do you think that they provide that info to Dish?

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,208 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:44 PM

Perhaps ... the copyright on the data is Tribune Media Services.

There is a TV Guide logo on the EPG screen. If I recall correctly that was put there as part of a settlement over providing an EPG (the TV Guide channel appeared at the same time). I though that was the end of the deal. Acknowledging the company who held the patent on the EPG, but not necessarily using them as a source of data.

So while ROVI may own the company that now owns the patent, I'm not sure how they are related to Tribune Media services, if they are. I had not heard of "ROVI" until this thread. I've been hearing of TMS for years.

#18 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

http://rovicorp.com/

ROVI owns TV Guide, Inc.

Edited by bnborg, 25 October 2010 - 07:39 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,208 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:41 PM

http://rovicorp.com/

The only connection I see there to DISH Network is using a device with TVGuide OnScreen Services with a DISH Network receiver. Not any claim that they provide data to DISH.

#20 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

Look under About ROVI/Customers: http://rovicorp.com/company/2033.htm

spam firewall