Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2010 week 6 - Will Live+7 DVR Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:01 PM

Here's Monday Overnights (click on image to bring up a large version):

Posted Image

For those who are interested the top 25 shows that gain from Live+7 DVR for October 4-10 are available at TVbytheNumbers.

If you scan down to the third table, what we learn for Monday's is that "Hawaii Five-0" and "Castle" both gain about 20-25% total viewers, meaning these shows are probably sharing some audience.

Other Monday night shows on the list are "House", "Lie to Me", and "The Event".

It tells us what we already knew: a lot of people watching "Monday Night Football" and "Dancing with the Stars" want to watch those other shows. It's difficult to correlate this exactly because the game is viewed live across all time zones. The Monday game ran 08:30P-11:33P Eastern which is 5:30-8:33P Pacific.

On the other hand, "Chuck" and "Chase" are missing from the tables.

What we need to remember is the following from TVbytheNumbers:

Those Live+7 day ratings may be interesting for all sorts of analysis on viewership and behavior, and of course are helpful for press release writers, but the additional DVR viewing after the “Same Day” period doesn’t make the network any more money or “help” any shows.

Edited by phrelin, 26 October 2010 - 12:18 PM.
typos

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:20 AM

Been busy with family, so I haven't had a chance to do Tuesday-Thursday until now.

Here's Tuesday (you can click on these to get larger versions):

Posted Image

Not much to say about this. All three CBS shows are in the top 25 of the Live + 7 ratings time shifting gains, as is NBC's "Parenthood" and Fox's "Glee". None of the ABC shows are.

Here's Wednesday:

Posted Image

What's remarkable about Wednesday was how strong the CBS offering was against the first game of the World Series on Fox. Again, all three CBS shows are on the time shift ratings gain list as is ABC's "Modern Family."

Here's Thursday:

Posted Image

OK, so by Thursday it isn't remarkable how well CBS is doing against the World Series, but how badly the World Series on Fox is doing. At 8 pm it lost in both the Demo and total viewers to "The Big Bang Theory" and at 9 pm it lost in the Demo to "Grey's Anatomy" and "The Office" and in total viewers to "CSI". The CBS shows all are in the time shift favorites as are ABC's "Grey’s Anatomy" and "Private Practice" and NBC's "The Office."

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:31 AM

Here's Friday:

Posted Image

No real surpises. NBC's "School Pride" continues its plummet below minor cable channel ratings. CBS continues its solid ratings, though only "Blue Bloods" gets any boost from Live + 7 (see the Live + 7 for the week of October 4-10).

How bad are "School Pride" ratings? CBS and ABC both have two shows that gain more viewers in the Live + 7 than "School Pride" has viewers.

Interestingly NBC's "Parenthood" gains the most viewers via DVR after its airdate which pushes its totals up to acceptable if these folks would watch it "same day."

My AV Setup

spam firewall