Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR-24 Slowness Freezing b/c of eSata?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   heelsmj

heelsmj

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:42 AM

I have read many threads about people with similar issues to mine with the HR-24. It will freeze for 10-15 seconds and any keys pressed during that freeze are "saved" and then executed consecutively when it comes back. Another issue is long delays from pressing play on an item in my play list and the item actually playing. My final issue is audio cut outs. This happens on recorded items as well as live items. There will be a slight hiccup for a fraction of a second where the audio drops and then it comes back. I have had this receiver for around 4 months. There were no issues until a few weeks ago. I have it running a 2 TB WD Green drive in an Antec MX-1 enclosure with a Trip-Lite eSata cable. I was thinking that the slowness might be related to the drive filling up (38% Free) and it just can't handle the sheer size of the playlist. However now that I am reading all the other issues im not so sure. How many people out there with issues with their HR-24 are using an eSata enclosure? Feedback, thoughts? Can this be causing the issue or is there just a problem with the design of the receiver?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:25 AM

I have read many threads about people with similar issues to mine with the HR-24. It will freeze for 10-15 seconds and any keys pressed during that freeze are "saved" and then executed consecutively when it comes back. Another issue is long delays from pressing play on an item in my play list and the item actually playing. My final issue is audio cut outs. This happens on recorded items as well as live items. There will be a slight hiccup for a fraction of a second where the audio drops and then it comes back. I have had this receiver for around 4 months. There were no issues until a few weeks ago. I have it running a 2 TB WD Green drive in an Antec MX-1 enclosure with a Trip-Lite eSata cable. I was thinking that the slowness might be related to the drive filling up (38% Free) and it just can't handle the sheer size of the playlist. However now that I am reading all the other issues im not so sure. How many people out there with issues with their HR-24 are using an eSata enclosure? Feedback, thoughts? Can this be causing the issue or is there just a problem with the design of the receiver?

1) That drive and enclosure should not cuase you problems
2) No - not even close - I know folks with 95% full that don't see those symptoms on the HR24
3) No - but it could be firmware that needs some corrections - they work on those kind of "fixes" all the time, and push out firmware updates to correct them. Perhaps you'll see something soon.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   heelsmj

heelsmj

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:33 AM

Thanks, Is there any way to manually force a firmware update or I just have to wait for the push?

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:36 AM

Thanks, Is there any way to manually force a firmware update or I just have to wait for the push?

What model WD HDD are you using? Some of the Green Caviars aren't compatible with the HRs.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

Updates are generally pushed out by DirecTV.

What version (and specific model HR24) do you have?

What model WD HDD are you using? Some of the Green Caviars aren't compatible with the HRs.

Rich

Good point - need the drive model number too...

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:31 AM

Updates are generally pushed out by DirecTV.

What version (and specific model HR24) do you have?

Good point - need the drive model number too...

There ought to be some way for us to get the word out that without the proper model numbers of HRs, HDDs, enclosures, etc., we just can't answer the questions asked. He might be using an EARS for all we know. That's a Green Caviar HDD too. And they are very problematic with the HRs.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

There ought to be some way for us to get the word out that without the proper model numbers of HRs, HDDs, enclosures, etc., we just can't answer the questions asked. He might be using an EARS for all we know. That's a Green Caviar HDD too. And they are very problematic with the HRs.

Rich

True.

It would also be interesting to know if the external unit was unplugged and the unit was rebooted...do the symptoms continue...that would seem to point to something in the external unit somehow.

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:37 AM

Your troubles sound the same as mine. I doubt your external drive is the cause – my troubles started at about the same time.

There are some models of drives that have issues – I’m sure Rich can help you there.

As for the firmware – you can’t force it… They haven’t even released a fix yet – hopefully soon – in the mean time a restart fixes it for some number of days (except for the audio trouble).

Let’s hope they don’t just ignore the troubles – I’m still waiting for the fix to make the HR22s work properly and that is going on 3 years now!

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:39 AM

Your troubles sound the same as mine. I doubt your external drive is the cause – my troubles started at about the same time.

So without knowing the drive model (for known potential incompatibility) and if this happens with the internal drive (to see if it is isolated to the external setup), this can be diagnosed? Hardly. :rolleyes:

#10 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:40 AM

True.

It would also be interesting to know if the external unit was unplugged and the unit was rebooted...do the symptoms continue...that would seem to point to something in the external unit somehow.

Problem is that the restart will likely fix the problems - at least for a few days (or more) but the problem will return.....

#11 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:42 AM

So without knowing the drive model (for known potential incompatibility) and if this happens with the internal drive (to see if it is isolated to the external setup), this can be diagnosed? Hardly. :rolleyes:

I guess you missed this:

"There are some models of drives that have issues – I’m sure Rich can help you there."

#12 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:42 AM

Problem is that the restart will likely fix the problems - at least for a few days (or more) but the problem will return.....

Fix or temporarily delay?

The bottom line is we don't have all the facts, do determining a root cause, or even educated speculation is impossible at this point.

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:47 AM

True.

Would seem to point that way, but not always. Usually, but not always. But the more info we get the less typing we have to do. My fingers are getting worn down to nubs. :lol:

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:47 AM

Fix or temporarily delay?

The bottom line is we don't have all the facts, do determining a root cause, or even educated speculation is impossible at this point.

Ok! – We get it….

Call it what you want but I have 3 HR24-500s that started having these troubles about the same time. You have decided that I am the problem… I’m good with that.

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:48 AM

There are some models of drives that have issues – I’m sure Rich can help you there.

As for the firmware – you can’t force it… They haven’t even released a fix yet – hopefully soon – in the mean time a restart fixes it for some number of days (except for the audio trouble).

Let’s hope they don’t just ignore the troubles – I’m still waiting for the fix to make the HR22s work properly and that is going on 3 years now!

Ever the optimist, Mike! I doubt if D* is even concerned with the 22s now.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:50 AM

And the problem with that is that the problem might get worse. Gotta have patience.

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:52 AM

Ok! – We get it….

Call it what you want but I have 3 HR24-500s that started having these troubles about the same time. You have decided that I am the problem… I’m good with that.

I don't think he meant you were the problem. I'm having the same problem with mine and I'm sure we are not alone.

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:56 AM

Ever the optimist, Mike! I doubt if D* is even concerned with the 22s now.

Rich

Bingo!:lol:

Yeah - the HR22s are likely as good as they'll ever be. That's why I forced them on the kids!

I'm sure sooner or later my remaining HR22s will die and get replaced - hopefully by then my luck will change and the HR24s will be tweaked and by some miracle they'll send me HR24s to replace them! How's that for optimistic!?

My suggestion to heelsmj (Please ignore this Mr. HDTVFAN) would be to verify that the model of drive is OK and then restart the box once a week until DirecTV figures it out - hopefully sooner rather than later.

#19 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:09 AM

And the problem with that is that the problem might get worse. Gotta have patience.

Rich

Working on the patience! Just a real slap in the face after paying $600 for 3 of these to get away from the trouble only to have it return after a few months of bliss. I'll think happy thoughts for now - hopefully this is just a temporary set back.

I don't think he meant you were the problem. I'm having the same problem with mine and I'm sure we are not alone.

Rich

I think he knows there is something up - but because he loves me so much he has to poke at me!:lol: Can't blame him I guess!

As more and more people post we'll get more details but no doubt something is up with the firmware changes they made.

#20 OFFLINE   heelsmj

heelsmj

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:41 AM

The drive is a AV-GP WD20EVDS 2TB. As far as the type of HR-24 I believe its a 500. But I will have to confirm that and what version firmware I am running when I get home. I am at work now. A reboot does not seem to make any difference I tried that.

Thank you all for the help.

spam firewall