Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Restoring Deleted Recordings

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lovingit

lovingit

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:22 PM

Ok, so my girl friend accidentally deleted ALL recordings on my HR23. Being the tech geek that I am, I know that these are still on the hard drive, so opened up the unit (yeah I know it violates the lease agreement, but I just had to try to restore the deleted recordings), plugged the Hard Drive into my PC and performed a restore with EASUS Data Recovery Wizard.

The results? It looks like I got all files, though to my astonishment, it looks like recordings are enconded in ShockWave Flash file format.

My question is how do I put these back into the drive?

I loaded Ubuntu Linux so that I could mount the drive using the following:

mount -t xfs -o retdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /media/dvr

I am able to see the complete HD DVR directory structure, but I am not sure where to copy my restored files too. I played around a bit copying files to a few locations but they are not showing up on the list.

Does anyone have an idea of where should I copy these files to?
Is there a record list file that needs to be rebuilt with the recording names?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:47 PM

The recordings were still there even after being deleted, there was no need to restore them. The reason you don't see them however is because they are no longer referenced by the DVR, meaning there is 1 file that keeps track of where recordings are on the unit and when a recording is "deleted" the only thing that is removed is the reference point in that file. The recordings don't technically get deleted until they are overwritten by another recording.

That being said good luck finding the file that references recordings. You're pretty screwed. Keep your girlfriend away from your remote in the future. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   Clemsole

Clemsole

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:07 PM

And when you have to send the unit back to D* make sure you have a good credit card ready to pay for it.

#4 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:11 PM

How did she delete every show? Geez.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   Rkw1111

Rkw1111

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:37 PM

How did she delete every show? Geez.

by using the yellow button to mark programs to delete, then arrowing over and hitting mark all. It is dumb that the default when you arrow over is "mark all" instead of "continue". Came close a couple of times myself.
rkw1111
currently confused

#6 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:40 PM

by using the yellow button to mark programs to delete, then arrowing over and hitting mark all. It is dumb that the default when you arrow over is "mark all" instead of "continue". Came close a couple of times myself.

I see. I'd dump the gf. :lol: jk...kinda. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   lovingit

lovingit

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:46 PM

Thanks Runner,

I did see some files out there that didn't get to seem deleted, though they did look pretty small, and all are about the same size. So perhaps these are the reference files to the actual recordings since technically, when the mount on linux occurs it is via the 2nd/smaller 16GB partition, and I guess these refer to blocks/locations on the third partition accordingly. So maybe if the recording listings could get rebuilt with the old data, all files could be re-reference accordingly. If that's the case though, then maybe I won't be able to restore the large files and have to rely solely on being able to rebuild the recodings list so that it references the small files (whcih would then reference the blocks/locations on that 3rd partition.) This also means my time may be running out, since in order to watch TV, I had to put the unit back together, and with the nature of the DVR, as I watch TV, my recordings are probably getting ovewritten. :-(

If anyone has info on the recording listings, then please share the knowledge :-)

#8 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:45 AM

And when you have to send the unit back to D* make sure you have a good credit card ready to pay for it.

Nice try, they'll never know the hood was popped.

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:32 PM

Nice try, they'll never know the hood was popped.

Sure they will, the do not remove sticker leaves a nice "VOID" mark on the unit. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,911 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:39 PM

I see. I'd dump the gf. :lol: jk...kinda. ;)

Yeah, sounds like part of a "dumb blonde" joke.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#11 OFFLINE   lovingit

lovingit

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:25 PM

Actually for some odd reason, my box did not leave the "VOID" mark at all. This box came with a tech to replace my old HR21 that kept freezing up after a while. I am not worry about it though, I called DirecTV a few months ago and buying out the unit is an option and it was not an outrageous price... the only thing is, if I buy, and then it breaks, I'll be out of luck for service since I will be 100% responsible for parts and labor.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...