Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Painfully slow HR24-200 Remote response times

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:01 PM

I have an HR24-200 in my living room and I have to press each button the remote at least 2 or 3 times to get my DVR to respond (within the guide or menus too). I just had this DVR swapped for a buggy HR24-100 about a month ago. I changed the batteries in all remotes and have done resets and nothing seems to work. I have 2 other H24-100's that are networked with the DVR and they are blazing fast. To me having to wait 5 to 10 seconds for a response is not ok, nor is having to press every remote button multiple times. UGGGGGGG help appreciated.

Edited by devaska1, 28 October 2010 - 06:13 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:16 PM

Try taking this unit off the network and see if it improves.
Also, how is it networked? LAN or DECA?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   Codfishjoe

Codfishjoe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:34 PM

Go through the system setup menu to program your remote to RF, and then disable the model ID of the remote with the following steps:

Press and hold Mute, while still holding down “Mute,” press and hold “Select” until the green light on the remote flashes twice.
Enter 9-6-3 on the key pad and the green light should flash twice,
then press the “Chan Down” key and the green light should flash twice again.

You should see a noticeable difference in response time after doing these steps.
I am not really a codfish.

#4 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:34 PM

I second what jdspencer said. I had the same problem and that fixed it a while back.
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:59 PM

I have all 24 's so networked through the built in DECA's, I also have MRV and ICK installed! How can I take my DVR off the network it's the server for the 2 H24's, so it's my understanding that if I did that I wouldn't have MRV, which I can't live without. Do I disconnect it from the network then reconnect? it's getting less and less responsive every day...
Thanks

#6 OFFLINE   RichardS

RichardS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

Go through the system setup menu to program your remote to RF, and then disable the model ID of the remote with the following steps:

Press and hold Mute, while still holding down “Mute,” press and hold “Select” until the green light on the remote flashes twice.
Enter 9-6-3 on the key pad and the green light should flash twice,
then press the “Chan Down” key and the green light should flash twice again.

You should see a noticeable difference in response time after doing these steps.

This worked great for me, as I have been struggling with this issue for quite a while! Thanks for posting the information!

RichardS

#7 OFFLINE   bondheli

bondheli

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

Check out this post http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=185850to see if these issues match your symptoms.
HR24's x2
HR21
R10 Tivo

#8 OFFLINE   devaska1

devaska1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:15 PM

Nope none of the suggestions have helped, it seems to respond normally when it wants to but for the majority of the time not! For instance I can press any key on the remote(ir) three or four times before the hr24-200 even tries to respond. I am not using any external drives, so my guess is firmware related or just buggy DVR. If anyone has any further info let me know.

#9 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:54 PM

Have you been using the latest CE's? That sounds like the same problem I have been having with my HR20-700 and these latest CE's. The one I downloaded tonight is working good right now but the one before last weekend I downloaded was fine too until a week or so went by then it was back to unbearably slow.
If this one starts doing it I am going back to the national release.

#10 OFFLINE   CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

I actually just returned an hr24-200 today, having "proved" that it was hardware related, but now my new one is doing EXACTLY what the other did.

This is clearly a major firmware problem, but I don't really understand why only some folks are having it.

1) it's not related to the external drive. I unplugged the external drive, and started it up, and got the same "missed" IR keys.
2) Switching to rf on the remote TOTALLY fixes the problem (that's why I thought it was hardware related). My issue is that my old pronto 7500 doesn't do rf unfortunately.
3) It's EXCRUCIATING.
4) I tried various shorter and long asserts from my pronto, but still couldn't get it working.

Any other ideas folks?

I do have the unit connected to enet, but if that were it, wouldn't the RF remote have the same issue as IR?

What a cluster-f**k.

Steve

#11 OFFLINE   CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:41 PM

I actually just returned an hr24-200 today, having "proved" that it was hardware related, but now my new one is doing EXACTLY what the other did.

This is clearly a major firmware problem, but I don't really understand why only some folks are having it.

1) it's not related to the external drive. I unplugged the external drive, and started it up, and got the same "missed" IR keys.
2) Switching to rf on the remote TOTALLY fixes the problem (that's why I thought it was hardware related). My issue is that my old pronto 7500 doesn't do rf unfortunately.
3) It's EXCRUCIATING.
4) I tried various shorter and long asserts from my pronto, but still couldn't get it working.

Any other ideas folks?

I do have the unit connected to enet, but if that were it, wouldn't the RF remote have the same issue as IR?

What a cluster-f**k.

Steve

Just to followup and clarify. This isn't just that the response time is slow, key-presses are completely missed. This is even more frustrating than slow responses, because you never know if it will eventually take. About 1/3 of key-presses missed.

Steve

#12 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

The only other thing I can suggest is it might be is interference from your flat screen. I have a Samsung LCD and when I had the back light setting to dark, it actual caused the same flaky issue with my remote.

So you might try turning the TV off, leave the HR 24 on, then use the remote to change the channel. Then turn the TV back on and see if the HR24 changed to the new channel. If it did, its probably the interference from the TV, if not, you eliminated that as an issue. Or you can swap the bad HR 24 to another room and see if the issue stays with the HR24.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#13 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,855 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:47 PM

How 'bout it is the same problem that all the other DVRs are afflicted with: periodic sluggishness due to processor cycles not being available. Did anyone really think the 24 series was going to be immune to this long-standing problem?

Less susceptible, yes, immune, not likely. The problem (if it is related to our other experience) will come and go, based on how "busy" the system is. You can try a restart, you should do the numeric input trick previously noted, and then watch as the problem returns. Sooner or later they may get it fixed. Sooner on the 24 series as there is more horsepower in the box.

Just don't expect miracles, as they are in short supply.:)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#14 OFFLINE   CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:15 PM

How 'bout it is the same problem that all the other DVRs are afflicted with: periodic sluggishness due to processor cycles not being available. Did anyone really think the 24 series was going to be immune to this long-standing problem?

Less susceptible, yes, immune, not likely. The problem (if it is related to our other experience) will come and go, based on how "busy" the system is. You can try a restart, you should do the numeric input trick previously noted, and then watch as the problem returns. Sooner or later they may get it fixed. Sooner on the 24 series as there is more horsepower in the box.

Just don't expect miracles, as they are in short supply.:)

This is NOT the sluggish problem. It's the "miss it completely until you press it again" problem. When it occurs you can hold the button down for a LONG time and it just won't respond until you release and press it again. That's why it's so frustrating. If you could depend on it eventually doing something, FINE (ok the sluggishness is also frustrating, but at least you know it will do the requested action within a few seconds).

I tried some REALLY long duration presses on my universal remote (pronto completely programmable) and it didn't help, nor did long presses on the DirectTV remote.

Steve

Steve

#15 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,855 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:17 PM

This is NOT the sluggish problem. It's the "miss it completely until you press it again" problem. When it occurs you can hold the button down for a LONG time and it just won't respond until you release and press it again. That's why it's so frustrating. If you could depend on it eventually doing something, FINE (ok the sluggishness is also frustrating, but at least you know it will do the requested action within a few seconds).

I tried some REALLY long duration presses on my universal remote (pronto completely programmable) and it didn't help, nor did long presses on the DirectTV remote.

Steve

Steve

It is the same problem, just more severe. I've seen it here plenty of times. It's busy to miss input numbers, it's really, really busy when it doesn't ack the numbers. It is middling busy if it acks the numbers, stacks the input and then executes same later. The system is just "bound up". The 24 series is less problematic in this area, but it is not immune.

...all of these symptoms are related to a fundamental cause: tying up the processor.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#16 OFFLINE   CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:41 PM

It is the same problem, just more severe. I've seen it here plenty of times. It's busy to miss input numbers, it's really, really busy when it doesn't ack the numbers. It is middling busy if it acks the numbers, stacks the input and then executes same later. The system is just "bound up". The 24 series is less problematic in this area, but it is not immune.

...all of these symptoms are related to a fundamental cause: tying up the processor.

If everyone had this problem, there would be HUNDREDS or THOUSANDS of posts about this. My wife can't stand it, so it's NOT something subtle.

And why would it be "more severe" for me?

If 1/3 of all presses are missed, isn't that a massive problem?

It means either 1) there's a hw design problem (which I doubt since it doesn't happen for everyone), 2) a fw problem (possibly not caching presses? maybe remote not connected to interrupts?, or 3) a unit-specific problem which IS possible because both of these units were from the same store.[/I]

#17 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:03 AM

Have you tried changing the channel and things by using your computer browser? Check the " iphone based remote control" thread on how to do it. This will elimate the actual remote control as a problem.
DirecTV since '99, Grandfathered DNS Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox | HR24-500 | HR23-700 | Unsupported MRV

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

#18 OFFLINE   CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:05 AM

Have you tried changing the channel and things by using your computer browser? Check the " iphone based remote control" thread on how to do it. This will elimate the actual remote control as a problem.

Yep. Tried different remotes (my pronto universal, plus my hr21 remote), and got same problem.

ALSO with the pronto I tried extending the duration of the send-times, and it didn't help either. about 1/3 of the presses are missed completely.

AND sometimes you can press it maybe 10x in a row and all will be missed, then suddenly it works again when you press the 11th.

Something's definitely not right. If only I could figure out what it is.

#19 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,674 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:13 AM

Yep. Tried different remotes (my pronto universal, plus my hr21 remote), and got same problem.

ALSO with the pronto I tried extending the duration of the send-times, and it didn't help either. about 1/3 of the presses are missed completely.

AND sometimes you can press it maybe 10x in a row and all will be missed, then suddenly it works again when you press the 11th.

Something's definitely not right. If only I could figure out what it is.

Have you tried this?

http://www.dbstalk.c... respond faster

If that doesn't help....me thinks your DVR itself might be the source of your woes.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#20 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:20 AM

I tried some REALLY long duration presses on my universal remote (pronto completely programmable) and it didn't help, nor did long presses on the DirectTV remote. Steve

Have you tried bringing up the Guide and then Entering the Channel Number, then Hit Enter and Bingo it changes the channel. For some reason when it is in the Guide the channel input is normal but out of the Guide it is painfully slow. Could be a sign that your Power Supply is acting marginally and not supplying adequate or Optimal Power to the CPU!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

spam firewall