Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Painfully slow HR24-200 Remote response times

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:48 AM

Have you tried this?

http://www.dbstalk.c... respond faster

If that doesn't help....me thinks your DVR itself might be the source of your woes.

That's an interesting (but confusing at times) thread. Looks like there's a way to disable the model-id verification in the remote IR code, if I understand correctly.

And the answer is no, I haven't tried that. But that might explain why the presses are completely missed, not just delayed. That would also explain why a really LONG press might be ignored, assuming the model id is only sent out once followed by a long series until the key is released (I have no idea if the model id is repeated or not while you're pressing a key for an extended time.).

I'll try it tonight and let folks know.

Thanks for the additional idea.

Steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:16 AM

That's an interesting (but confusing at times) thread. Looks like there's a way to disable the model-id verification in the remote IR code, if I understand correctly.

And the answer is no, I haven't tried that. But that might explain why the presses are completely missed, not just delayed. That would also explain why a really LONG press might be ignored, assuming the model id is only sent out once followed by a long series until the key is released (I have no idea if the model id is repeated or not while you're pressing a key for an extended time.).

I'll try it tonight and let folks know.

Thanks for the additional idea.

Steve

Your assesment is correct, and hopefully you see a marked improvement...let us know.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#23 OFFLINE   toofastgtp

toofastgtp

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:04 AM

2) Switching to rf on the remote TOTALLY fixes the problem (that's why I thought it was hardware related). My issue is that my old pronto 7500 doesn't do rf unfortunately.
Steve

The only other thing I can suggest is it might be is interference from your flat screen. I have a Samsung LCD and when I had the back light setting to dark, it actual caused the same flaky issue with my remote.

This is the number one issue i see with remotes. IR interference

--HR34+ 3HR24 + HR20 + Samsung 42 & 32" + Sony STRDA 1000ES + Sony Bluray + JBL Studio S312(L,R) S38 (RS) Scenter + Acoustech PL200 Sub

#24 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:35 PM

If one has "taught" a programmable remote from a DirecTV remote, I would presume these identifiers would also get taught?

Your assesment is correct, and hopefully you see a marked improvement...let us know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#25 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

Yep. Tried different remotes (my pronto universal, plus my hr21 remote), and got same problem.

ALSO with the pronto I tried extending the duration of the send-times, and it didn't help either. about 1/3 of the presses are missed completely.

AND sometimes you can press it maybe 10x in a row and all will be missed, then suddenly it works again when you press the 11th.

Something's definitely not right. If only I could figure out what it is.

If you have tried using the web browser to control the directv box and it still is sluggish I would have to say it's something about the box that is the probem and not any remotes. Using the web browser bypasses all the remote hardware.

One last thing you could try is disconnecting your to HRxx client boxes from your main HR24 to elimimate any interference from them and then again use the web browser to control it. You now have totally isolated the problem box.
DirecTV since '99, Grandfathered DNS Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox | HR24-500 | HR23-700 | Unsupported MRV

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

#26 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:54 PM

If one has "taught" a programmable remote from a DirecTV remote, I would presume these identifiers would also get taught?

Probably so....I just programmed a new Harmony 650 for an HR21-200....and its not only fast....its easier to use with all the corresponding equipment (HDTV, AVR, etc.).

It seems that the Harmony is identical in speed to the DirecTV remote that came with the HR21...which has been pretty crisp for some time now.

#27 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:11 PM

I'm just wondering if I need to perform the identifier removal trick and re-teach my programmable. I'm not ready to sign a new contract to get a couple of HR24's, but the performance levels of my HR23 and HR21 are starting to tick me off.

Probably so....I just programmed a new Harmony 650 for an HR21-200....and its not only fast....its easier to use with all the corresponding equipment (HDTV, AVR, etc.).

It seems that the Harmony is identical in speed to the DirecTV remote that came with the HR21...which has been pretty crisp for some time now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#28 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

I have an HR24-200 and I have no remote issues with it.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#29 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:53 PM

Somewhat surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet.

In the past, other receivers have been affected by stray IR. Sometimes from CFLs, but more often than not from the backlight on LCDs.

If you have a LCD, check and see what the light sensor is set to. If on or auto, try turning it off.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#30 OFFLINE   CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:17 PM

Somewhat surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet.

In the past, other receivers have been affected by stray IR. Sometimes from CFLs, but more often than not from the backlight on LCDs.

If you have a LCD, check and see what the light sensor is set to. If on or auto, try turning it off.

I did one better. I just turned off the tv (a new bravia lcd). I can tell if the remote is responding by the blue light flickering on the front of the dvr. It simply misses presses for some portion of a second, then takes them. If I press/release/press/release repeatedly, sometimes it won't flicker for as many as 5 seconds. Then I wait a second and press again, and it works.

Bizarre.

But it isn't the lcd. I also tried turning off any fluorescent lights nearby - no change.

Oddly it will be fast for some period of time, then a few minutes later, it's misses all sorts of keystrokes.

Steve

#31 OFFLINE   CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

I just tried the 963 trick.

Mute+select, hold for several seconds until leds blink 2 times
press 963
press channel down

(channel up apparently puts model id back on).

Oddly after pressing channel down it blinks 4 times, but if press channel up it only blinks 2 times. Not sure what that means (maybe when press channel down it's not taking effect?).

If I did it correctly and the 4 blinks doesn't mean anything, then the issues remain.

Steve

#32 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,838 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

If everyone had this problem, there would be HUNDREDS or THOUSANDS of posts about this. My wife can't stand it, so it's NOT something subtle.

And why would it be "more severe" for me?

If 1/3 of all presses are missed, isn't that a massive problem?

It means either 1) there's a hw design problem (which I doubt since it doesn't happen for everyone), 2) a fw problem (possibly not caching presses? maybe remote not connected to interrupts?, or 3) a unit-specific problem which IS possible because both of these units were from the same store.[/I]

The variations in the problem are legendary, from missed input to unresponsive, to simply unack'd.. It is more severe at one time than another, not forever on one machine. Rebooting will often snap things up for a while. The number of variables involved is large, so only a certain combination will produce a specific symptom, and that symptom changes with usage patterns and housekeeping demands. The demands on the processor are all over the map, not stable at all.

Very few people report never having problems with remote response at one time or another. Given my own experience with 3 different non-24 dvrs for nearly four years, I don't readily accept "I never have seen that", but it is remotely possible that the many number of variables influenced by their usage patter has just not triggered the problem. Overall, I'm skeptical about the "never happened here" response to such a widespread problem (with the non-24 series). The 24 series are less vulnerable, but not immune. Until the code is better optimized, even the 24 series can be affected (see all the posts, they are numerous.

So in the case of the 24 series they are merely "numerous", while in the non-24 series they are ubiquitous.:)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#33 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

The variations in the problem are legendary, from missed input to unresponsive, to simply unack'd.. It is more severe at one time than another, not forever on one machine. Rebooting will often snap things up for a while. The number of variables involved is large, so only a certain combination will produce a specific symptom, and that symptom changes with usage patterns and housekeeping demands. The demands on the processor are all over the map, not stable at all.

Very few people report never having problems with remote response at one time or another. Given my own experience with 3 different non-24 dvrs for nearly four years, I don't readily accept "I never have seen that", but it is remotely possible that the many number of variables influenced by their usage patter has just not triggered the problem. Overall, I'm skeptical about the "never happened here" response to such a widespread problem (with the non-24 series). The 24 series are less vulnerable, but not immune. Until the code is better optimized, even the 24 series can be affected (see all the posts, they are numerous.

So in the case of the 24 series they are merely "numerous", while in the non-24 series they are ubiquitous.:)

I can't believe you posted that yesterday and no one has come to the defense of DirecTV?:grin: If I had even suggested this there would have been 8 pages of "I haven't seen that problem" posts!

As far as remote response on my HR24s go.... The problem is much different than my HR22s. I think the HR22s are just too slow to be able to keep up. On the other hand my HR24-500 responds to the remote fine except when it is 'frozen'. It will just freeze for 3 to 15 seconds and nothing works - including the front panel. Once it 'thaws' it plays out most of the buttons I pushed during the freeze.

My HR24 troubles started in October with 'updates':rolleyes: Maybe they'll un-update it back to when it worked someday?

#34 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:42 AM

I can't believe you posted that yesterday and no one has come to the defense of DirecTV?:grin: If I had even suggested this there would have been 8 pages of "I haven't seen that problem" posts!

I can't believe it took you this long to post in a thread that contained the word "painfully" and "slow" in it....:lol:

It's only worth debating what's worth debating. WOW - that's deep. :D

#35 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:14 AM

I can't believe it took you this long to post in a thread that contained the word "painfully" and "slow" in it....:lol:

It's only worth debating what's worth debating. WOW - that's deep. :D

Sorry about the delay - It has been a busy week!

Only worth debating what's worth debating? :)

What's the debate here? That the receivers have remote issues and have had for years? Doesn't seem like much of a debate! Kind of like debating on if the government wastes our tax money or if it rains in Florida.

#36 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:15 AM

Sorry about the delay - It has been a busy week!

Only worth debating what's worth debating? :)

What's the debate here? That the receivers have remote issues and have had for years? Doesn't seem like much of a debate! Kind of like debating on if the government wastes our tax money or if it rains in Florida.

Welcome back. :D

#37 OFFLINE   CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:27 PM

Just to close the loop...

I SOLVED IT!!!!! Bought a logitech IR repeater. Once I block out the DTV dvr from ambient light, and put it near the IR emitter, IT WORKS PERFECTLY.

Clearly the IR receiver has a firmware or hw-related issue on this dvr that makes it extremely susceptible to ambient light. In my case it was either sunlight through a window (not even that bright) or incandescent light from 2 bulbs in the room.

It works 100% of the time with my jury-rigged IR repeater setup. Now all I need to do is make it more permanent and aesthetic.

Thanks for everyone's comments, and I hope this thread (and the other one I have open) help others solve their IR problems too.

Steve

#38 OFFLINE   flybynyte

flybynyte

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

i understand this is an old thread, but, i subscribed in sept of 2012---they installed an HR24-200 and i have these exact problems. slow response time, numbers missed when changing channel, etc. no doubt---a real pain in the ***!

#39 OFFLINE   CraterGrillo

CraterGrillo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

i understand this is an old thread, but, i subscribed in sept of 2012---they installed an HR24-200 and i have these exact problems. slow response time, numbers missed when changing channel, etc. no doubt---a real pain in the ***!

Definitely see if it's better when no sunlight is in the room. If so, then you have the same problem and know how to fix it now!

Steve

#40 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:47 AM

I would try clearing the nvram, Just go to channel 1 and wait a few seconds and press red,red,blue,blue,yellow,green color buttons on your remote, And you will see the "NVRAM cleared" message in white on the bottom screen (look really closely as its hard to see) and that's it. One of my advises would be turning native off in the settings menu under "video" for faster channel changing.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

spam firewall