Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Network and Fox Networks Reach Comprehensive Programming Agreement

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
134 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

DISH Network and Fox Networks Reach Comprehensive Programming Agreement
Viewers Ensured Continued Fox Broadcasting and Fox Television Stations Programming in Major Cities

FX, National Geographic Channel, and Fox's 19 Regional Sports Networks Immediately Restored to DISH Network Lineup

LOS ANGELES and ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Oct 29, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ -- DISH Network L.L.C., a subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) and Fox Networks, an operating unit of News Corporation (Nasdaq: NWS), today announced a wide-ranging distribution agreement to provide the third-largest video distributor in the United States with continued access to programming from Fox Broadcasting and Fox local television stations in major cities. The agreement also included carriage of FX, National Geographic Channel, and Fox's 19 regional sports networks, which were restored for DISH Network viewers Friday.

"After prolonged negotiations to reach a fair deal, we're pleased to enter into a long term agreement with Fox and to assure our customers that they can continue to enjoy these channels," said Dave Shull, Senior Vice President of Programming for DISH Network. "We thank our customers, our retail and channel partners, and our employees for their support through these negotiations, which we believe resulted in a fair deal that reinforces DISH Network's position as the best value in television."

"I want to thank our partners at DISH Network who worked tirelessly to help us reach a successful conclusion," said Mike Hopkins, President, Fox Networks Affiliate Sales and Marketing. "This agreement provides a strategic partnership between Fox and DISH to bring the best programming to DISH subscribers."

The agreement ensures that DISH Network viewers will continue to have access to Fox's live national and regional coverage of major sporting events including Major League Baseball's World Series, the NFL on FOX, the NBA, the NHL, college football and basketball, as well as popular entertainment programming on FOX, such as Glee, House, and The Simpsons; Sons of Anarchy and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia on FX; and the Border Wars and the upcoming Great Migrations on National Geographic Channel.

DISH Network will continue to provide programming from the local Fox and MyNet television stations in the following markets: Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore (MyNet 24 only), Boston, Chicago, Cleveland/Akron, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Gainesville (FL), Greensboro/Winston-Salem, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Memphis, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, St. Louis, Salt Lake City, Tampa, and Washington D.C.

Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

http://dish.client.s...eleaseID=525025

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

Not exactly immediately, but whatever.

So, who blinked and what's it gonna cost US?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:32 PM

Not exactly immediately, but whatever.

Gotta wake up someone in the uplink center. Charlie's still talking on the FSN feeds. :)

BTW: Fox has changed their http://getwhatipaidfor.com/ site to announce the "good news".

#4 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:37 PM

I'm pleased to see this and glad I didn't ever seriously consider switching providers because of it. Much of that was timing though, if this would have happened during the regular MLB season where I would have missed the Reds' pennant chase I may have been less patient. The same is true if it went on too much longer to where I started missing UK basketball games but as it was this didn't really have any negative impact on me at all.

It is too bad they can't get these deals done before they hit cutoff dates and people lose programming they are used to getting as part of their package but I'm glad it ended relatively quickly.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:46 PM

Gotta wake up someone in the uplink center. Charlie's still talking on the FSN feeds. :)

136 FX and 186 NatGeo content is back ... still need to rename the channels, restore the EPG and get Charlie off FoxSports.

#6 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

http://www.facebook.....php?sk=lf#!/FX

They just posted this on face book.

#7 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:53 PM

You have to wonder who blinked first. Sadly we might not ever know.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#8 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

Congratulations! (I'll add them back to the count as well)
DTV = Digital Television

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:57 PM

You have to wonder who blinked first. Sadly we might not ever know.

As expected. There were no public demands that will make a blink obvious (such as Fuse returning to satisfy MSG). We won't know how much DISH is paying ... and DISH already announced the intent to do 24/7 HD of sports channels next year so those shouldn't be tied to the dispute (unless they launch for FSN next week).

BTW: FSN Midwest is airing the correct content with the "important message" EPG.

#10 OFFLINE   grog

grog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:01 PM

That is good news for Dish. Glad to hear it! :)

Since this is a multi-year deal Dish should not have to deal with FOX again for sometime. The deal may also ease the talks for other carriers when the carriage comes due.

This was also just posted.

http://www.app.com/a...n-pact-in-sight

Dave Shull, senior vice president of programming for the Dish Network, said the deal was fair.

So whatever the price point at least Dish feels the deal was fair and that is good news for Dish subs.

Meanwhile, Cablevision customers remain without their local Fox channels.

Side note: I am still glad I changed carriers but more than FOX was involved in our decision to change.
Philips 47" 1080p LCD HDTV 47pfl7422d/37
Philips 42" 1080p LCD HDTV 42pfl3704D
Magnavox 32" 720p LCD HDTV 32MF338B/27
Magnavox 720p 19" LCD
2x DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (HR24-200 with 1TB ESATA via Thermaltake BlacX external dock), 2x DIRECTV® HD Receiver (H24-200), 1 DIRECTV® Slimline Dish, MRV with Deca CINEMAplus

#11 OFFLINE   altidude

altidude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

FSW is back! Go Lakers!

#12 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:03 PM

I'm pleased to see this

You may not say that in February when you see the new rates.

136 FX and 186 NatGeo content is back ... still need to rename the channels, restore the EPG

Yeah, it must be just the EPG.

Not sure I'll watch them again though.

#13 OFFLINE   chum76

chum76

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

I just heard at the top of the hour on our local radio station Dish Network finally agreed to FOX's proposal. All this waiting and losing customers for nothing....now hopefully cablevision will belly up and do the right thing as well. :)

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

http://www.jointhefightagainstfox.com/ has been updated ... also calling the deal fair.

#15 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:09 PM

Dish Network finally agreed to FOX's proposal. All this waiting and losing customers for nothing....now hopefully cablevision will belly up and do the right thing as well. :)

You're still not getting the picture are you?

#16 OFFLINE   chum76

chum76

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:11 PM

You're still not getting the picture are you?

Sure, losing the local FOX stations would have been a disaster. Now FOX gets more money, and customers get their channels back. Everyones happy at last. ;)

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:16 PM

EPG and channel names have returned to normal ... (you will see buffered EPG for events that are not now or next until your receiver downloads a new guide).

#18 ONLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,811 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:16 PM

This ought to make Milfan happy - as well as some others
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#19 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:23 PM

Sure, losing the local FOX stations would have been a disaster. Now FOX gets more money, and customers get their channels back. Everyones happy at last. ;)

And you'll pay more money in the next yearly rate hike.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#20 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

You may not say that in February when you see the new rates.

I hate to sound cavalier about it but I want what I want and expect to pay for it (within reason). I'm sure I could get what I have from Dish cheaper elsewhere but without the same DVR quality/functionality and maybe a few channels but I don't really care. I could have saved lots of money over the year switching back and forth between E* and D* for the new customer offers but again, it just wasn't worth the hassle to me. I don't believe for a second that E* bent over and took Fox's demands without some concessions being made (on both sides) and I would have expected my bill to go up in February like it does (almost) every year even without this dispute.

I expect a reasonable compromise was made and the Cablevision dispute and FCC attention the two simultaneous disputes garnered probably put even more heat on Fox to lower their expectations. Of course none of us will ever know the full details but I'm glad it's over and that E* pushed the issue but apparently not too far.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...