Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

515-500 Technical question

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

Ah ha! After a week of no reboots it did it again today. 5 minutes after it re-loaded, the picture on Live TV, not recorded started to skip. The audio was fine, the video was not. After 15 seconds of that, it rebooted. I would have to say the HDD is going! Finally, an answer to the reboots. I'll have to try installing a 160 drive tonight! Hope it works, drive is out of a used R15-300. Any tips?

Well, I finally changed the HDD. I installed a used HDD from an R15-300, figured I would reconnect everything, power up, see what happens. TV back on in 5 minutes! Old playlist recordings showed up, not viewable of course, deleted those, cleared any series link recordings, all seems ok. Unit records, plays back...just wondering if I should have reformatted though...will post if unit reboots again...I hope not, I'm kind of attatched to this R15.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,792 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:24 PM

You should be good to go. I knew you would be able to see the recordings listed, and that you would not be able to watch them. Wasn't sure if you would be able to delete them but it sounds like you were able to. Given that, everything should be fine.

#23 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:33 PM

Well after changing the HDD, 2 more caps, I had 4 more reboots. I figured I'd try the 02468 code at start up, downloaded the old 1274 software. All has been normal for 36 hours now. Any other issues I had are cleared up.

I can't help but think conspiracy. I know, I know, I hate the conspiracy $#!t too...but could I be on to something, and this could well be the demise of the R15's. Don't get me wrong, I love Directv, I've been a loyal customer since the mid 90's. But with all the trouble lately...well..I bought a new HR24 because of all the reboots, how many others are doing the same? Not everyone posts here. It would be interesting to see the subscriber list of returned, or upgraded PVR's.

#24 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

Well after changing the HDD, 2 more caps, I had 4 more reboots. I figured I'd try the 02468 code at start up, downloaded the old 1274 software. All has been normal for 36 hours now. Any other issues I had are cleared up.

I can't help but think conspiracy. I know, I know, I hate the conspiracy $#!t too...but could I be on to something, and this could well be the demise of the R15's. Don't get me wrong, I love Directv, I've been a loyal customer since the mid 90's. But with all the trouble lately...well..I bought a new HR24 because of all the reboots, how many others are doing the same? Not everyone posts here. It would be interesting to see the subscriber list of returned, or upgraded PVR's.

Except that a conspiracy would suggest that all R15's would be impacted UNLESS DirecTV is out to get you specifically :eek2:.

We are running two R15-100 receivers, both recently installed and both updated with the current software. Both of them are operating flawlessly, no reboots and at least mine seems to be recording the programs it should. The second is in my sons room so I don't know whether he is having problems, however he is not shy about complaining when things go wrong.

#25 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:39 PM

Except that a conspiracy would suggest that all R15's would be impacted UNLESS DirecTV is out to get you specifically :eek2:.

We are running two R15-100 receivers, both recently installed and both updated with the current software. Both of them are operating flawlessly, no reboots and at least mine seems to be recording the programs it should. The second is in my sons room so I don't know whether he is having problems, however he is not shy about complaining when things go wrong.

Maybe I should take my tinfoil hat off! Seriously, I'm not sure what to make of this, but flawless is what I can say about the recent download of 0x1274 software. Maybe the 131 software was corrupted on download? I am pleased to see this unit working again.

#26 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:52 PM

Maybe I should take my tinfoil hat off! Seriously, I'm not sure what to make of this, but flawless is what I can say about the recent download of 0x1274 software. Maybe the 131 software was corrupted on download? I am pleased to see this unit working again.

Not to beat a dead horse, but a month since 1274 was reloaded, not a hiccup!

#27 OFFLINE   dtremain

dtremain

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but a month since 1274 was reloaded, not a hiccup!

From what I understand, each time a software download happens, it goes to an alternate place on the hard drive. If the place it goes to is damaged, it can cause problems.

By doing this, you probably went back to the other part of your hard drive that was working fine.

#28 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:48 PM

From what I understand, each time a software download happens, it goes to an alternate place on the hard drive. If the place it goes to is damaged, it can cause problems.

By doing this, you probably went back to the other part of your hard drive that was working fine.

Actually I changed the drive...reboot issue remained.

spam firewall