Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Resetting ......

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   uslimey

uslimey

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:16 PM

My husband has my old R15 500 with his SD television. It has started to reset about three or four times a day. Is the box giving out (it is kind of old)? I really don't want to get another until he decides to get a more modern HD television because then I will get the HD box!! Is it dying a slow death? Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:41 PM

It is probably at the end of it's life.

If you get it replaced, that won't hurt any offers you would receive on getting a discount on an HD receiver. If you have the protection plan, it won't cost anything. If you don't you will have to pay $20 to get the replacement shipped out.

If you don't have PP and haven't had a service call in the past year, I believe you get one free one a year. Have a tech come out and swap it and it shouldn't cost you anything.

Either way, replacing it will not renew your commitment.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:43 PM

Probably has a Hard Drive Failing or a Power Supply Unit going bad or performing marginally so yes it is time to Upgrade.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:46 PM

I have more input on this.

-If you have an HD TV and a tech comes out to replace your R15, you don't automatically get an HD replacement because...

-You can hook an SD TV to an HD box.

You would either get an R15 or R16.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#5 OFFLINE   Zamps

Zamps

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:56 PM

I don't think this is a HD issue. Many people are reporting this problem. A quick google search: http://www.tivocommu...t=458245&page=4 Mine has been doing it for 2 weeks now. I finally broke down and called DTV. They're sending me a new receiver free of charge. :)
Family Room: DTV HR20-700
Bedroom: R15

#6 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

Then it is a Software Issue if alot of people are experiencing it at the same time or Bad Guide Data Incompatibility Issues.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 660 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:29 AM

I don't think this is a HD issue. Many people are reporting this problem. A quick google search: http://www.tivocommu...t=458245&page=4 Mine has been doing it for 2 weeks now. I finally broke down and called DTV. They're sending me a new receiver free of charge. :)

The link provided is for Tivo Brand Directv PVR's. uslimey has a reboot issue with the Directv (NDS) R15-500 pvr...different beasts.

#8 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,819 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:15 AM

The link provided is for Tivo Brand Directv PVR's. uslimey has a reboot issue with the Directv (NDS) R15-500 pvr...different beasts.

Yup - apples and refrigerators. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#9 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

It's possible that there is a software issue with the R15-500 but it is not affecting R15-300's (I have two) even though the software release is the same number.

Before complaining to DirecTV, I'd try reformatting the hard drive. Unfortunately, you will lose all recordings, favorite lists, and satellite settings. If you know how to restore all of these, just restart the DVR and when the message "running receiver diagnostics" appears, press SELECT. A diagnostic menu will appear which is pretty self-explanatory. Running all of the tests will check out the box 100% including the mother board, memory, and the HDD.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#10 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:16 PM

my r10 has been doing this spontaneous for a month also....must be a software issue, dont know if dtv cares to fix...

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#11 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 660 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:07 PM

It's possible that there is a software issue with the R15-500 but it is not affecting R15-300's (I have two) even though the software release is the same number.

Before complaining to DirecTV, I'd try reformatting the hard drive. Unfortunately, you will lose all recordings, favorite lists, and satellite settings. If you know how to restore all of these, just restart the DVR and when the message "running receiver diagnostics" appears, press SELECT. A diagnostic menu will appear which is pretty self-explanatory. Running all of the tests will check out the box 100% including the mother board, memory, and the HDD.

No need, I downloaded 0x1274, all is great, not one reboot since! I've rplaced the HDD and 3 caps...never thought the software would be the issue. I think it's bullet proof for awhile! Maybe the 131e file download was corrupt.

Thomas M, would it be wise to have uslimey try loading the 0x1274 software too?

Edited by Sea bass, 21 November 2010 - 12:06 AM.
don't want to make an issue a bigger issue

Protected By... spam firewall...And...