Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Winners and losers from the disputes with Fox

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:09 AM

So I attempted to do some digging regarding the outcome of packaging on the disputes. I ended up finding a clear winner. From HollywoodReporter.com:

Meanwhile, Seattle-based online video provider Ivi Inc. claimed a victory thanks to the Cablevision-Fox dispute, saying Monday it saw a 323% increase in new subscribers throughout the Fox programming blackout. It didn’t provide actual numbers for new subscribers.

Major broadcasters recently filed a lawsuit against Ivi, claiming that the startup is infringing copyrights by retransmitting over-the-air broadcast signals online. The company has argued it operates under a legal loophole that allows cable and satellite companies to retransmit over-the-air broadcast content as long as they pay semi-annual fees to the U.S. Copyright Office.

So I googled news on Ivi, and found this, from San Francisco Chronicle's sfgate.com:

Fast Facts about ivi TV's Legal Position

Section 111 of the 1976 Copyright Act permits cable systems to retransmit television broadcasts

• ivi TV is a cable system under Section 111 of the 1976 Copyright Act
  • ivi TV is entitled to a statutory license under Section 111 of the 1976 Copyright Act
  • ivi TV pays the Copyright Office under its statutory scheme and it, in turn, pays the content owners
  • The FCC does not regulate the Internet, hence;
  • ivi's retransmission of television broadcast over the Internet is permissible

ivi TV's downloadable app makes it easy to watch live television programming online for only $4.99 a month after a 30 day free trial. The company pays broadcasters in the same fashion as prescribed by law for cable companies.

ivi TV offers more content than Hulu and a 30 day free trial to watch major broadcast channels including ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, The CW, PBS, and others from a growing number of local affiliates, all available via a downloadable app at ivi.tv.

I'm ready for a smackdown of immense proportions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,795 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:02 AM

An interesting concept. Claiming protection under the law as a "cable system" but then claiming no responsibility under the law that being a "cable system" requires?

They are currently carrying NYC and Seattle TV channels and subchannels. If they delivered the NY ones to Cablevision subscribers in the NY market they would have needed permission to carry the signals.

They should be governed the same as FIOS even if they don't own or sell the connection to the home. If they want to be a "cable system" they need to follow all the laws applicable to a "cable system". Otherwise there is no statutory license for them to rely on.

BTW: The site is registered to an individual in Seattle, WA, and is hosted on a server apparently in San Fransisco, CA. I expected this to be an offshore operation.

Edited by James Long, 01 November 2010 - 11:08 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

Do they interrupt ALL of their programming streams whenever there is an EAS or AMBER Alert?
Do they collect local and state taxes?
Do they have retrans agreements with all of the stations?

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,433 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:58 AM

Buried in news articles today about Senator Jay Rockefeller blasting cable news was the fact that it was a hearing on the recent disputes between channel owners and cable and satellite companies. From the LA Times:

...The topic of the hearing being held by the Senate Commerce Committee's subcommittee on Communications, Technology and the Internet's topic is supposed to be the recent rash of fights between broadcasters and cable operators over distribution agreements that have in many cases left consumers in the lurch.

...Rockefeller is chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee, which oversees the subcommittee.

Rockefeller eventually got around to focusing on the issue at hand -- how cable and broadcasters negotiate deals to carry entertainment programming. He said he wants to know why consumers "have to pay for so many channels," when most people only watch a handful of networks. "We need slimmed-down channel packages," he said.

"If you fail to fix this situation, we're going to fix it for you," Rockefeller warned. If that happens, he added, the goal will be to do more than "referee your corporate money feuds."

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:15 AM

Do they interrupt ALL of their programming streams whenever there is an EAS or AMBER Alert?

I sure hope not. That's one thing I hate about OTA.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...