Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Protection Plan Questions: new rules?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:50 PM

Difficult to get that message across, isn't it? I own six HRs, but if they were all leased, I'd still have the PP. I've got nothing but good things to say about it.

Rich

I hear ya. I mean at this point I dont see much reason not to own. You can buy the reciever model you want for less then D* sells it usually and then your not under contract for 2 more years. Whats not to like about it and furthermore, why would anyone want to pay D* more for a reciever of their choice and then be committed to 2 more years. I know some get deals but really the only reason a half price or free reciever is even offered is so they can start the clock ticking again. I dont plan on going anywhere but I do like having control over things.

As stated above I to do not want to get stuck with say a HR21 of any kind. If leased what are my options seriously? Not like I can say I dont like this model please swap it. There is always a retailer like Solid Signal but then again your trapped for 2 years. With stations making demands and channels getting shut off these days I dont want to be stuck if I really need to move to something else. I dont see that happening and I really hope it does not but if say Sunday Ticket went to exclusive E* then I would be moving to E* without question. To each their own. My opinion is it does not make sence to lease with D* after the first 2 years for sure and it will take alot for me to start that 2 year clock again. That being said in a way Im hoping the new HD TiVo blows me away. We'll see.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-100 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR44-500 Owned. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   TwoPhases

TwoPhases

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:36 PM

So if you have the PP & you own your receiver that craps out, they replace it with an owned one with no commitment reset?

#23 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:06 PM

No, this is why you need owned equipment. That way when they do ship you something you dont want, you can turn around and sell it and use that money to get a reciever you do want

"Need" is a strong word; I'd say to each his own. I've got leased and owned equipment; I haven't paid a dime for any receiver I have, and am quite happy with that arrangement.

I'm not sure I really understand the bold above; if it's a receiver you don't "want" they usually don't fetch as much on the secondary market, so you'd be out the difference between that sale and the receiver you "do" want... Playing percentages; the majority of DVR failures are hard drives, why not just spend the money to replace the hard drive in your owned DVR that you "do" want?

Seems like a lot of hassle; replacing equipment, to sell it, then purchase something else...
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#24 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:06 PM

So if you have the PP & you own your receiver that craps out, they replace it with an owned one with no commitment reset?

That's correct
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#25 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:45 AM

"If we determine a replacement receiver is required, we will ship a new or refurbished unit with comparable features to the location where you receive DIRECTV programming."

This is why I dont have it. If my HR24 breaks, they can send me a HR anything... No way.

they will do that if you have the protection plan or not

#26 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:47 AM

they will do that if you have the protection plan or not

I think that was his point. Why pay for the protection plan if your situation is treated the same whether you have the plan or not?

#27 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:57 AM

I to have been told (by CSRs) to do what they told the OP. It doesn't seem honest to Me (my own feeling. Results with others my differ)

When I upgraded to HD, they put me on the protection plan without telling me. I went ahead and kept it. Turned out to be good thing, as my dish needed realignment when they added the new HD channels.

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:37 AM

I hear ya. I mean at this point I dont see much reason not to own. You can buy the reciever model you want for less then D* sells it usually and then your not under contract for 2 more years. Whats not to like about it and furthermore, why would anyone want to pay D* more for a reciever of their choice and then be committed to 2 more years. I know some get deals but really the only reason a half price or free reciever is even offered is so they can start the clock ticking again. I dont plan on going anywhere but I do like having control over things.

As stated above I to do not want to get stuck with say a HR21 of any kind. If leased what are my options seriously? Not like I can say I dont like this model please swap it. There is always a retailer like Solid Signal but then again your trapped for 2 years. With stations making demands and channels getting shut off these days I dont want to be stuck if I really need to move to something else. I dont see that happening and I really hope it does not but if say Sunday Ticket went to exclusive E* then I would be moving to E* without question. To each their own. My opinion is it does not make sence to lease with D* after the first 2 years for sure and it will take alot for me to start that 2 year clock again. That being said in a way Im hoping the new HD TiVo blows me away. We'll see.

Those are my thoughts too. The TiVo: Will we ever even see it? And what could it possibly do that is better than the HRs we have now? I dunno the answer to either question, but I had a lot of problems with my SD TiVos and I'll be waiting and reading a lot about them before I think about getting one. But, with my luck, D* will offer me one at no cost and I'll get sucked in again. This seems to be their MO with me. :)

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:38 AM

Yup.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:44 AM

"Need" is a strong word; I'd say to each his own. I've got leased and owned equipment; I haven't paid a dime for any receiver I have, and am quite happy with that arrangement.

I'm not sure I really understand the bold above; if it's a receiver you don't "want" they usually don't fetch as much on the secondary market, so you'd be out the difference between that sale and the receiver you "do" want... Playing percentages; the majority of DVR failures are hard drives, why not just spend the money to replace the hard drive in your owned DVR that you "do" want?

Seems like a lot of hassle; replacing equipment, to sell it, then purchase something else...

You can usually find some poor soul on eBay that will give you a decent price for a 21. I couldn't bring myself to sell one on eBay, unless it was a 20-700, knowing that the rest of the 21s are problematic at best, aside from being slow, but someone always seems ready to shell out money for HRs on eBay.

I do agree with you about replacing the HDDs in the HRs, but that's not the only thing that causes them to fail. I can't think of more than one or two HDDs that went south on me.

Rich

#31 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:45 AM

I think that was his point. Why pay for the protection plan if your situation is treated the same whether you have the plan or not?

I'm pretty sure that if you don't have the PP and get an owned HR replaced it reverts to a leased HR.

Rich

#32 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:20 AM

I'm pretty sure that if you don't have the PP and get an owned HR replaced it reverts to a leased HR.

Rich

Yup. Plus, you might possibly need to pay the full up-front lease fee as well as it is just seen as adding a new receiver and not a replacement.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#33 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:21 PM

... someone always seems ready to shell out money for HRs on eBay.

Oh yeah baby! :D
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#34 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:24 PM

Yup. Plus, you might possibly need to pay the full up-front lease fee as well as it is just seen as adding a new receiver and not a replacement.

- Merg

Agree, I do. Just another reason to have the PP.

Rich

#35 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:26 PM

Oh yeah baby! :D

What's that old line from P.T. Barnum, "Another sucker born every moment"? Never truer words spoken. :lol:

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...