Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TV on Demand

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:33 AM

I was browsing the "TV on Demand" menus, surprised to see all the available content (haven't bothered looking in several months). I decided to download a few shows (Mad Men). I started watching one, looked great for a few minutes then waited to buffer, then started, then waited.... not a great experience.

Then I went back to normal TV, and started having many weird problems. The info banner at top (channel and desc) would not go away. Many buttons were not functional. I could change the channel by pressing number buttons (not the up/down buttons), but the same info banner would stay on top (showing wrong channel). I turned off power to the 722, and the same banner remained on the TV screen (very strange!). I unplugged and rebooted, was OK for about a minute, then same thing. After 3 reboots, it seems back to normal. That's the last time I'll try out the video on demand feature!

My guess is the download was interfering with normal HD operation. Why can't Dish get streaming right, Netflix seems to do it MUCH better.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,541 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:44 PM

Hmmm. A while back I did the "Caprica" pilot on my 722 and it worked fine. But now we're two firmware/software releases later with the goofy, unnecessary screen changes. Hope someone else can report on a current experience.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   njk986

njk986

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:41 PM

Have had no problems with it. How's your internet speed?

#4 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:52 PM

4-5m down, 400-500 up (AT&T Pro), Netflix over Wifi never a problem. I think I may have started to watch before it was finished uploading; sometimes I get the "your show is ready to watch" banner, sometimes I don't. I did watch a short one today that I selected yesterday, with no problem. I guess the secret, is don't rush it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...