Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

d12-100 problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   catlinstults

catlinstults

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:55 PM

I recently got direct tv and i have a d12-100 receiver at my lake house. I am getting no signal on any transponders on an 18 round dish with a single lnd with two cable wires ran to a splitter with one cable wire coming from the splitter to the receiver. How can i get signal.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

You don't have to post multiple times.

Why are you using a splitter like that? It's not supposed to be there at all. :icon_stup :lol:

Come out of the LNB into the receiver. Leave the other port open. Run the sat setup for 18" round and multiswitch.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   catlinstults

catlinstults

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the advice but I bypassed the splitter set the reciever to 18 round and multi switch and still get all zeros when I go to signal strength. When I change it to the round and multi switch am I suposed to configure it or will it show me the signal strengths right before I do that?

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,787 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:51 PM

As noted, lose the splitter. Straight coax run from the LNB to the receiver. Set the receiver for 18" round dish and multi-switch.

If at that point you are getting all zeros, then your dish is not properly aligned. Double check the azimuth and elevation, and use www.dishpointer.com to get a better idea of where to point the dish. Then make very slow, very small adjustments in azimuth until you have gone about 10 degrees either side of where you think it is supposed to be. Move it a little bit (less than a degree), stop, wait, check signal, move it again, stop, wait, check signal, etc.

If doing that you don't find signal, then make a small adjustment in elevation and repeat the azimuth sweep.

If the receiver was previously set for an SWM installation, you might have to do a couple of resets before it works properly on multi-switch.

Edited to add: Just read your post in the other thread you started. The "splitter thingy" might be a ground block. If the two coax are going to two roughly barrels, then you want to leave that in the circuit. That is not a splitter. If the coax are going to something that looks like a miniature box with 2 inputs and 3 or more outputs, that would be a splitter and you don't want that.

#5 OFFLINE   catlinstults

catlinstults

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:39 AM

I believe that was a grounding box not a splitter. My question now is how do I get this reciever to quit thinking it needs a swm. I have changed it to multi switch but when I don't think it is accepting it or something. How can I reset the reciever so that I can remove what the direct tv installer set it to?

#6 OFFLINE   catlinstults

catlinstults

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:52 AM

I have somehow forgot to mention that my satellite only has elevation on it. I bought the dish from a guy who works for direct out of his van. He said it was what he used for campers and rvs. Could it be a different kind of dish?

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,230 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:40 AM

I believe that was a grounding box not a splitter. My question now is how do I get this reciever to quit thinking it needs a swm. I have changed it to multi switch but when I don't think it is accepting it or something. How can I reset the reciever so that I can remove what the direct tv installer set it to?

Go to the Setup menu and rerun the Satellite Setup. That will allow you to choose your dish type.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   catlinstults

catlinstults

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:20 PM

Ok guys thanks for all the help. Still no signal though. I spoke to a guy who used to put satellites in. He gave me a multiswitch splitter that goes outside. At the top it says 18v sat in, antenna in, and 13v sat in. I hooked the two coax coming from the satellite to the 18v and 13v. I the hooked the wire going into my receiver to one of the outs. Still no signal. He told me they had the same problem with another house that they took a new direct reciever that had been hooked up at another house to. He said direct has made it where you have to have different subscriptions for different houses. Is this true or is he full of it? If I have it hooked up right but pointed wrong would I get any signal at all?

#9 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:38 PM

Full of it. :D

Your dish is pointed wrong.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

spam firewall