Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Free Distant Networks on the net?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   greatone

greatone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:51 PM

i do not see it can u show me a picture

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:51 AM

KCAL disappared too BUMMER

#23 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:19 AM

That's where you are wrong. As stated on other threads, if this were the case, KVH TracVision, who work hand in hand with D*, would not show Directv's signal available outside CONUS.

It might in someway violate Directv's fine print, but it in no way is illegal for a US Resident to take his unit outside of the CONUS and use it - and as thus, is not illegal - nor has it been challenged in the courts by either Country.

You are absolutely correct. Despite what people continue to post, it is NOT illegal under U.S. law for people to receive the DirecTV signal outside the U.S. borders. It can be illegal under LOCAL law for people to do this - for example it's illegal in Canada under Canadian law, although I have yet to hear of the mounties arresting a U.S. RV owner for using his system while in Canada. Using a DirecTV receiver outside the U.S. is however against the Terms of Service that apply to your account. DirecTV has to incorporate this clause into the terms of service because DirecTV's license, and the agreements they have with copyright holders, only give DirecTv the right to deliver the service to subscribers within the USA. In theory, if DirecTV finds out you are using the system outside the USA, they could cancel your service.
A similar situation applies to people who receive Canadian satellite signals in the USA. In this case it is NOT illegal under US law to receive the signals, but just as in the DirecTV case, it's a breach of the terms of service of the Canadian sat providers.
This forum chooses not to allow discussion of issues relating to the receiving of DirecTV outside the USA because it is a breach of the Terms of Service and the forum wants to maintain good relations with DirecTV, it has NOTHING to do with it being legal.
The receiving of DirecTV by RVs outside the USA is not allowed, it is just overlooked, because it would be somewhat unreasonable (and very difficult) to remove service from those people who are using it.

#24 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:48 AM

Actually, it is illegal to receive DirecTV broadcasts outside of the 50 states-but it's a violation of copyright law. The networks that DirecTV carries, as well as the content on DirecTV Cinema and the 101 Network, are licensed for viewing only within the United States. I'm sure there are other entities that hold the licenses to present the programs in Mexico and Canada, and by "importing" the DirecTV signal you are violating their rights. That's also the basis for the injunction and the impending lawsuit against FilmOn (to drag this thread back onto topic...)

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#25 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

That's where you are wrong. As stated on other threads, if this were the case, KVH TracVision, who work hand in hand with D*, would not show Directv's signal available outside CONUS.

It might in someway violate Directv's fine print, but it in no way is illegal for a US Resident to take his unit outside of the CONUS and use it - and as thus, is not illegal - nor has it been challenged in the courts by either Country.

KVH's original thrust was in the maritime market.
The footprint maps are primarily for determining marine use antennae size for offshore applications. This is "Open Water" areas are thus different rules.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#26 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:14 AM

KCAL disappared too BUMMER

Yeah, it sucks...I was using it for Lakers road games.

They added more adult channels. :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#27 OFFLINE   MIKE7314

MIKE7314

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:47 PM

Just a further update they have added more channels more pron and ITV 1234
bbc 1 and bbc2 all in HD enjoy channel 5 and channel 4 also:lol:

#28 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,110 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:26 PM

I wonder how they are getting their channels. Do they have an OTA reception site in LA or are they taking feeds off of a cable system? The international channels could be taken from a cable/satellite system in England.

They are certainly doing business in the US, which would bring them under US laws for distribution. If they were entirely off-shore their primary problem would be with the source of their signals. It is not legal for me to take my satellite/cable subscription and stream it to other people. I don't own the copyright and have not paid the carriage fees to do that.

I see they have responded to the legal challenge by removing some channels (now marked as coming soon) so there is some respect for US law ... but I'd be concerned about how long this will last.

#29 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:46 AM

I wonder how they are getting their channels. Do they have an OTA reception site in LA or are they taking feeds off of a cable system? The international channels could be taken from a cable/satellite system in England.

I may be wrong on this but I thought I recall reading once that supposedly they were getting the LA channels from FTA satellite.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#30 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:00 PM

I checked the site out today. It's gone subscription. $9.99 for US TV. Atleast pron channels are EXTRA and NOT included!

They also offer BBC One and Two.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#31 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

I checked the site out today. It's gone subscription. $9.99 for US TV. Atleast pron channels are EXTRA and NOT included!

Oh well, I enjoyed it while it lasted. :mad:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#32 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

the free player I downloaded a few weeks ago still works, though not all the channels are there. BBC News and SKy News are there (and oddly enough the pr0n channels were there yesterday, but not today) but I've never seen BBC1, etc listed.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#33 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:12 PM

I was able to access the site (and all the channels) through my Iphone just a few minutes ago (no log-in required)

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#34 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:38 AM

This is what I see:

Scheduled maintenance. We will be back soon!
FilmOn.com

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#35 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:10 AM

This is what I see:

Scheduled maintenance. We will be back soon!
FilmOn.com

This morning, I get nothing but a blank screen when I try and access the site via my Iphone.

I also happened across this article: http://www.hollywood...ing-order-48374

n a legal win for the big broadcast networks, a federal judge has issued a temporary restraining order against FilmOn.com, which has been streaming the signals of TV stations over the Internet without permission of stations, networks or producers, the LA Times reported

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#36 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:55 AM

They may have indeed had a problem ealier; HOWEVER, I'm using their service on FilmOn.com with my iPhone 4 right this very second.

It seems, at least for now, they have resolved whatever the issue was (maintenance or otherwise).

A good sign is that they keep adding more and more content / channels to their mix.
36 Stations in total to this point, 5 of which are adult xXx content!

#37 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:12 AM

If using the player on a PC, you will see 5 red icons above the channel list. The arrow allows you to change the filter of channels to "Adult", "HDi" or "Additional HDi". I read that the owner of IVI still feels he is on safe ground because he is paying a copyright fee. FilmON was keeping all of the revenues to itself.

#38 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:07 PM

I did get the player downloaded later, but the video is too herky-jerkey for me on my web connection, so I won't be able to use it.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#39 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

I did get the player downloaded later, but the video is too herky-jerkey for me on my web connection, so I won't be able to use it.

What's your subscribed ISP package speed(s). All stations work fine without any choppyness issues here on my 50/10 mbps connection and work equally as well on my iPhone 4 on both wifi and 3g connection methods (which is at a much lesser speed connection (3/1 mbps or less given the area).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...