Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can U Get AM21 OTA TUNER From D*

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   63thk

63thk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:25 PM

Can you still purchase the AM21 OTA tuner direct from D*? I can't find it on the website and I'm finding a bit pricey online. Was wondering if it wound be cheaper from them. Also how does it compare to the OTA tuners on the E* VIP 722?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,999 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

Logon to your account on the DirecTV web site, then on the first screen you get click on the "My Equipment" tab, then on the word "Accessories", the AM21 should be located there. Can't say how the AM21 compares to how well the ATSC tuners in Dish hardware works.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

The AM21 is $50 if ordered from DirecTV.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:35 PM

Also, if you added an AM21 to your "cart", it won't show up in the order list anymore, but you can find it in your cart, even months later.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#5 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:06 PM

Can you still purchase the AM21 OTA tuner direct from D*? I can't find it on the website and I'm finding a bit pricey online. Was wondering if it wound be cheaper from them. Also how does it compare to the OTA tuners on the E* VIP 722?

I got my AM21 from ebay for about $30, but it took several months to find it that cheap. I don't know about the 722, but the OTA module in my 722k seems to perform about the same as the AM21. The biggest difference is you can't use both AM21 tuners and both Sat tuners at the same time like you can on the 722k.

#6 OFFLINE   kovach

kovach

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:25 AM

I ordered one just last week from DirecTV, $50 + sales tax, was at the house very quickly, like 2 days (or less).

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:36 AM

I believe you need to have a receiver on your account that is AM21 capable before it will show up on the web page.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#8 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:42 AM

Also a question on the AM 21 can you get the sub channels as well. I am missing the local weather channel we have i was wondering can you pick up the sub channels with an antenna as well with am 21. Max

#9 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:45 AM

Note, that the AM21 doesn't perform a scan, it uses a database supplied from Tribune Media Services.

As long as the sub channels are in the database then it will receive them.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#10 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:48 PM

thanks jd but how do you know that the subchannels are in the data base. Problem is i live 30 miles from Omaha so i doubt i would get them. I know i can get them with the converter box but will wait for now. I can stream the weather station on line so that's what i think i will do for now.

#11 OFFLINE   wallybarthman

wallybarthman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:27 PM

thanks jd but how do you know that the subchannels are in the data base. Problem is i live 30 miles from Omaha so i doubt i would get them. I know i can get them with the converter box but will wait for now. I can stream the weather station on line so that's what i think i will do for now.

When you set up the AM21 you can enter two different markets. So I enter my local zip code for my Pittsburgh locals and then enter a zip code for Youngstown to pick up the Youngstown channels that I can receive as well.

In short, the AM21 will do what you're looking for as long as you've got equipment that can support it.

Westinghouse 37'' LCD 1080p Monitor / PS3 / HR24-500 w/AM21 OTA Tuner / Mac Mini
Vizio 42'' LCD 720p TV / Panasonic Blu-ray Player / Mac Mini / HR22 w/ AM21 OTA Tuner and HR22

#12 OFFLINE   xceebeex

xceebeex

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

When you set up the AM21 you can enter two different markets. So I enter my local zip code for my Pittsburgh locals and then enter a zip code for Youngstown to pick up the Youngstown channels that I can receive as well.

In short, the AM21 will do what you're looking for as long as you've got equipment that can support it.

I am confused by this statement. Aren't you limited to what channels your antenna picks up not what zip code you enter in the AM21? Or are you saying that your antenna picks up more than just your locals and because you can enter two markets the AM21 can handle it?

#13 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:07 PM

I am confused by this statement. Aren't you limited to what channels your antenna picks up not what zip code you enter in the AM21? Or are you saying that your antenna picks up more than just your locals and because you can enter two markets the AM21 can handle it?

When you set up the OTA tuner in the HR20 or AM21, it asks for 1 zip code (which would normally be your local market). You can also choose a secondary market and you enter a nearby zip code from within that market. The system does a search to find the names of those two markets and then knows what OTA channels, including subchannels, are available in that market.

For example, I am in the Harrisburg/Lancaster, PA market, so I first entered my own zip code. I am 90 miles west of Philly, so I also entered a Philly zip code as the secondary market and it automatically knows what digital OTA channels are available in both markets. You may not be able to receive all of the channels within the market zip codes you enter, but at least the tuner will know what to look for. The limitations of your OTA antenna system as well as the sensitivity of the tuner will affect what you can actually receive.

I am also about 60 miles north of Baltimore, so could theoretically enter all 3 markets (and could watch these 3 markets by either switching antennas or rotating them), but the HR20 and AM21 are limited to 2 markets.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#14 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:19 PM

K thanks guys i understand now.

#15 OFFLINE   Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:22 PM

Also,in setup, you can select/deselect individual channels so they will/will not show up on your menu and will/will not tune with channel up/down (though you can try to tune in unselected channels by keying them directly with the number keys). All in all, it seems to work pretty well, just so long as the Tribune service is accurate and up-to-date. I've seen a few trivial lags there, when a channel slices its signal.

Stan
Stanley Kritzik

Slimline feeds an SWM-8, diplexed with an OTA Square Shooter SS2000, using a Sonora AD14 active diplexer, plus a Sonora LA141R amplifier and a 4-way splitter (3 used).
Results distributed to two H20 receivers plus an HR21-Pro feeding three Sharp Aquos LCD screens, the largest being a 57" unit. Diplexers used for all receivers to split off OTA signals. HR21-Pro has an AM21 OTA receiver, and feeds into a Sony STR DA5200ES receiver. Also connected is a Sony Blu Ray player.

#16 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:21 PM

Note that the search that it does is not the same as a scan. It uses the zipcode(s) to look up the channels in the Tribune Media Services database. You can go to Zap2It.com to see what is in that database.

#17 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

There is another little-publicized feature the AM-21 offers that it didn't used to with previous software versions. If you have an R22 and purchase an AM-21, you will get all the channels it receives via antenna IN HD even if you don't have a slimline dish or subscribe to DirecTV HD!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...