Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

keeping snow off the dish this year

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:03 PM

Is it ok to have the gas fireplace on to melt snow/ice off the dish?. The dish is mounted on the chimmney (sp) and about 2 feet from the reflector. While in extreme cold I don't think that the heat from the fireplace will warp the dish or the lag bolts drilled into it, but will hopefully keep snow off. Will it move the lag bolts? I'm pretty sure the chimmney is insulated, right? Is this a good idea to keep in mind or should I not turn the fireplace on this year... Any insight on this idea is helpful.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:04 PM

I can post a picture of where the dish is relative to the chimney (I still can't spell that) exhaust is tomorrow. Thanks again.
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:23 PM

Unless the dish is directly above the chimney, or is very poorly built, using the gas fireplace will have little to no effect on the dish.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#4 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:08 AM

fwiw agreed :)
temp may be enough to loosen/melt ice a foot around the chimney but heat will not be enough to hurt anything.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#5 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:33 AM

I've said the same thing for years: Super Soaker with warm water.

Works every time. :D

#6 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:15 AM

Is it ok to have the gas fireplace on to melt snow/ice off the dish?.

Just curious. Have you been having snow related problems in the past or just being proactive in keeping your dish clean? I only ask because I live about 130 miles west of Albany, in an area that generally gets far more snow, and have never had snow issues in twelve years with DirecTV. The angle of dishes here are such that very little snow accumulates on them. I would think the same would be true in Albany.

#7 OFFLINE   sunking

sunking

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

The nice thing about being up North is that the dish is at a pretty vertical angle. Snow for the most part doesn't stick. In my 10 years I've never had to even brush it off, and I'm about 40 minutes east of you.

The bad part of this is trees become more of a blockage issue, but I'm assuming you're past that.

#8 OFFLINE   WingNut

WingNut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:26 PM

Luckily my dish is mounted in a location where I can reach it with a broom easily. So if it does get caked with snow, a little brooming (GENTLY) and the problem is solved.

This only happened once last year during a huge snowstorm, so I don't see it being a problem.

#9 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:53 PM

I got a HotShot dish heater from SatPro last month. It looks like it may get it's first test on Thursday!

#10 OFFLINE   Matman

Matman

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:07 PM

In 3 years, I have had only one instance where snow stuck to the dish, and that was a storm with an incredible amount of wet, heavy snow. I agree with others, with vertical alignment of the dishes here, should be few instances where snow on it will cause issues. that being said, I have had good luck with a broom duct taped to a window washing pole. Haven't tried the super soaker route, but I know a TON of people on this site swear by it!

Edited by Matman, 08 November 2010 - 03:13 PM.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
~Leonardo da Vinci

#11 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:21 PM

Move to Florida. :lol: It works.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:29 PM

I installed Hot Shot last year, and it kept the dish clean. It won't help during a big snowstorm (or rainstorm), of course, but afterward, there's no outdoor acrobatics -- the dish gets clean automatically, and the power consumption is negligable.

Stan
Stanley Kritzik

Slimline feeds an SWM-8, diplexed with an OTA Square Shooter SS2000, using a Sonora AD14 active diplexer, plus a Sonora LA141R amplifier and a 4-way splitter (3 used).
Results distributed to two H20 receivers plus an HR21-Pro feeding three Sharp Aquos LCD screens, the largest being a 57" unit. Diplexers used for all receivers to split off OTA signals. HR21-Pro has an AM21 OTA receiver, and feeds into a Sony STR DA5200ES receiver. Also connected is a Sony Blu Ray player.

#13 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:09 PM

So what is Hot Shot??? Like a Device to Heat up the Dish enough to Melt the Snow away???
Here's My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,103 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

Move to Florida. :lol: It works.

Yeah, but then you would have to live in Florida. EEW! :)

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#15 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:23 PM

Yeah, but then you would have to live in Florida. EEW! :)

I will be living in Florida for about 3 months a year every year in Key West once I buy my RV!!!
Here's My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for all your help guys. So i am assuming i can still use the fireplace and it will possibly use it to keep snow off of the dish if it becomes a problem.

Thanks again,
Kevin

#17 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for all your help guys. So i am assuming i can still use the fireplace and it will possibly use it to keep snow off of the dish if it becomes a problem.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Frankly I highly doubt it. There just isn't going to be all that much heat up there on your chimney let alone a 2-3 feet (minimum) from it to be enough to actually melt snow on a dish.

You won't know until you try it but I really wouldn't count on it at all.

#18 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:58 PM

Yes.

So what is Hot Shot??? Like a Device to Heat up the Dish enough to Melt the Snow away???

http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B0030TYX6K

I just installed one last month. Last year ~4-5 times I hooked up a garden hose to my laundry room sink and blasted the dish with warm water. Too much of a nuisance. Too cold & too wet. Don't want to deal with it anymore. You can get them for around $125 on eBay. I installed mine on the back of the dish not the front as shown.

#19 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 707 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:32 PM

Yes. http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B0030TYX6K

I just installed one last month. Last year ~4-5 times I hooked up a garden hose to my laundry room sink and blasted the dish with warm water. Too much of a nuisance. Too cold & too wet. Don't want to deal with it anymore. You can get them for around $125 on eBay. I installed mine on the back of the dish not the front as shown.

Currently unavailable on Amazon....As BonScott said....SuperSoaker works great. I will post a pic in the near future of what I use.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#20 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:55 PM

Currently unavailable on Amazon.

The linked paged shows that they are in-stock now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...