Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

keeping snow off the dish this year

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   jjlkpeterson

jjlkpeterson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

New customer here....just received our first snow here in the Denver area and the signal was lost. Went out and brushed off about an inch of snow and the signal came back. I didn't think that this small of amount of snow would cause it to block the signal. With the snow off, the signal strength is in the high 90's and green.

With Dish, it took around 3+ inches before I had to worry about it.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   doubleatheman

doubleatheman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:26 PM

Snow? What's snow :P it only snows in my town once every 42 years!!! And for the last 146 years it has been true. (it has only snowed here once in my life)
H21-200: 0x404A (soon to be HD DVR)
Vizio 32" tv Connected with HDMI
Sony HT-DDW790 Home theater Connected with Optical
5 lnb Slim Line dish
Choice xtra Pack with HD and DVR service
Zip: 94954 locals

#28 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:57 PM

New customer here....just received our first snow here in the Denver area and the signal was lost. Went out and brushed off about an inch of snow and the signal came back. I didn't think that this small of amount of snow would cause it to block the signal. With the snow off, the signal strength is in the high 90's and green.

With Dish, it took around 3+ inches before I had to worry about it.

DirecTV uses KA band for HD which will go out quicker.

Having said that I've had 5-6 inches of snow on my dish with no signal loss. It just depends on the kind of snow. Light fluffy stuff...heck bury the dish and it'll still have signal. Heavy wet snow/ice...half inch could knock it out.

#29 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,277 posts
  • LocationLittleton, Colorado

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

I have had satellite tv since 1997 and live SouthWest of Denver. Most of the time a cold dry snow will not be a problem, but a heavy wet snow will do me in every time. Last winter was the worst and I was out on the roof several times to clear the dish. The snow today was not a problem but I did have the HotShot on. I don't think this was much of a test. I am waiting for a big dump, maybe Thursday.

#30 OFFLINE   bemenaker

bemenaker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:18 PM

Do these heaters affect your reception, good or bad? That one link claims it improves reception.

#31 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:04 PM

Do these heaters affect your reception, good or bad? That one link claims it improves reception.

Well if there is snow on the dish and you get no reception and the heater melts it off it definately has been improved. :lol:

Mine doesn't but maybe that's because mine is on the BACK of the dish. :eek2:

#32 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:57 PM

I've said the same thing for years: Super Soaker with warm water.

Works every time. :D

Same thing I recommend.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#33 OFFLINE   tech24218

tech24218

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:53 PM

I would recommend filling the super soaker with the orange de-icer you use in your wind shield wipers
HR22-100 RCA Scrennium 50"
R16-300 32" Toshiba
D11-500 @ lake House

The Best Directv Ad
http://www.facebook....v=1340867931805

#34 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:13 AM

Up here in North Dakota/Minnesota, I've had D* since '95. For the first 6 years, it was a metal Sony dish. I never had a snow or ice problem. Then I got a plastic phase III dish and I was trudging through every snowfall using a wallpaper brush duct taped to a snow rake pole. PITA!

Then they installed the metal slimline-5, and no more problems.
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#35 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:17 PM

Im pretty sure the phase 3 and newer dishes are all metal. Im pretty sure the slimline on my roof is... correct me if I'm wrong

#36 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:34 PM

Im pretty sure the phase 3 and newer dishes are all metal. Im pretty sure the slimline on my roof is... correct me if I'm wrong

Maybe I "misrememberd" the name, but it was their dish that had 2 LNBs for 101 and 119, you could add a 3rd lnb in between to get 110. That's the plastic dish I had.
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#37 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 739 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

My Slimline suffered last winter with heavy wet snow/ice. Signal gone.

Even my 30" dish for the 101 got blocked.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#38 OFFLINE   durian

durian

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:51 AM

need help here!!!!

never had snow problems before, even last winter when snow fell by the foot my signal was never lost. we had our first snow of the season tonight - only about 2in - and my signal was lost, need it back in time for football!!!!

when clearing snow, does it need to be cleared from the dish or the LNB? or both? how careful/gentle does one need to be?

many thanks for any help!

#39 OFFLINE   tvropro

tvropro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:25 AM

need help here!!!!

never had snow problems before, even last winter when snow fell by the foot my signal was never lost. we had our first snow of the season tonight - only about 2in - and my signal was lost, need it back in time for football!!!!

when clearing snow, does it need to be cleared from the dish or the LNB? or both? how careful/gentle does one need to be?

many thanks for any help!

Heavy wet snow will take out ku and ka signals. A large amount of moisture in the clouds between you and the satellite will also kill it.

When I clean the dish I remove all the snow and then wipe the lnbf lens dry. Drops of water on the lens can cause the signal to be deflected. The feed point needs no obstructions since this is where the signal is concentrated.

#40 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:40 AM

A neighbor down the street from me uses the Dish Heater, I couldn't tell you if it works or not. In the Tahoe area we get 2-4 storms a year with heavy wet snow. Most of the times I don't have an issue. The wet snow seems to really pile up on the dish but as soon as the sun comes out it quickly clears off. I am lucky and have my dish by a deck that makes it easy to reach with a broom. I have tried using Rain-X w/out any real success in the past.

#41 OFFLINE   Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:45 PM

With the new signal bands and HD digital pictures, every bit and pixel is important. So, I continue to recommend Hot Shot for those of us in snow country. The power consumption is small; it is thermostatically controlled and automatic; and, if you can get to your dish and take the platter off to install it (which is really the only practical way to do it), you can install it on the backside and not worry about signal strength.

Once it's on and connected, you can just forget about it. All in all, a well-engineered and useful product.

Stan
Stanley Kritzik

Slimline feeds an SWM-8, diplexed with an OTA Square Shooter SS2000, using a Sonora AD14 active diplexer, plus a Sonora LA141R amplifier and a 4-way splitter (3 used).
Results distributed to two H20 receivers plus an HR21-Pro feeding three Sharp Aquos LCD screens, the largest being a 57" unit. Diplexers used for all receivers to split off OTA signals. HR21-Pro has an AM21 OTA receiver, and feeds into a Sony STR DA5200ES receiver. Also connected is a Sony Blu Ray player.

#42 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:34 PM

With the new signal bands and HD digital pictures, every bit and pixel is important. So, I continue to recommend Hot Shot for those of us in snow country. The power consumption is small; it is thermostatically controlled and automatic; and, if you can get to your dish and take the platter off to install it (which is really the only practical way to do it), you can install it on the backside and not worry about signal strength.

Once it's on and connected, you can just forget about it. All in all, a well-engineered and useful product.

Stan

And for those concerned about "removing the platter/dish" it is very simple. Just take off the 4 nuts/bolts on the back and it slips right off. The LNB Arm remains firmly in it's position and the 4 bolts are "keyed" so they go back in the exact position and it doesn't change the aiming of the dish (unless you hang on it). It was like 3 minutes to remove it and 5 minutes to put it back on because I dropped one of my nuts on the ground and had to look for it. Fortunately it was large enough to easily spot.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...