Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recording playback ended early?

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:46 PM

I recorded Blue Bloods on CBS the other day using the default start 1 minute early & end 3 minutes late. Went to watch it today & after a few minutes it jumps to the screen where it says Playback Over and the Done button is highlighted. I tried many times to FF or skip but to no avail. This happens every time when the display indicates 59 minutes of the program is remaining.

There is no indication of a signal loss or freeze up or anything. It acts just like the program has ended, but it has not.

What the heck is happening & is there a way to watch the program?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:19 PM

Unfortunately, you won't be able to see the recording.

this happens very rarely and is very irritating.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3 OFFLINE   barryaz1

barryaz1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:07 AM

I've had that happen a few times. No reason I could figure out nor any responses here. Just go online to watch. I haven't watched that one yet and it will be interesting to see if I had the same problem happen.
Barry Singer
Scottsdale AZ

#4 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:14 AM

Unfortunately, you won't be able to see the recording.

this happens very rarely and is very irritating.

It's happening to me a lot all the time and that is why I have discovered it is easier and more reliable to get programming off the net and wondering if is DISH is necessary?

#5 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:29 AM

Blue Bloods was via sat tuner. Immediately before that I recorded CSI NY also on CBS but used the OTA tuner. It had very severe pixelation at the beginning and some moderate pixelation about half way through.

Sometimes I think maybe CBS's signal dropped out causing the problem. But I never got the signal loss message so that makes me think it's a DVR problem.

I dropped Comcast because of missed recordings & went through 6 DVRs in 14 months. I hope I'm not going to have the same problem with Dish.

#6 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:15 AM

I dropped Comcast because of missed recordings & went through 6 DVRs in 14 months. I hope I'm not going to have the same problem with Dish.

Mike, while infrequent, I have had the problem of seeming to have a complete recording only to find it was missing the end. It has occurred with both OTA and also Sat.

I am saving a few of these with the idea of calling Dish with specifics.

#7 OFFLINE   HDlover

HDlover

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:08 PM

+1 Must be a software bug.

#8 OFFLINE   kspeters

kspeters

Mentor/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:02 AM

Me too!!

#9 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:05 AM

Me too!!

I should say that this only happens on my 722k - never on my 622.

#10 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:11 AM

I called Dish today and ended up talking to a "Supervisor." He says that this problem is caused by the receiver itself and the 722k needs to be changed out. I explained that this is problem is reported very often on various forums and that it is not (In my opinion) a receiver issue but rather a 722K software issue.

Does anyone own a 722k receiver that does not sometimes/occasionally see a recording that appears to be of normal length but ends early by skipping to the end screen?

PS Unrelated. In response to my reporting a problem with the guide that occurs every Monday morning at 2:00AM on Fx (136) the response was that it is a Fox problem and there was nothing that they could do. I asked if there was a single additional example of this that they could cite and they said, "No."

Edited by SaltiDawg, 10 November 2010 - 10:20 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   barryaz1

barryaz1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

This still occasionally happens to me. And I just checked last week's Blue Bloods. Recorded complete, OTA (which is my usual way, if possible - better picture)

#12 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:17 PM

+1 Must be a software bug.

It is, has been for years and something DISH just will not address. It also has to do with the pathetic EPG. If they have any excuse I trust it would be so that they don't want "infringe" on TiVo patents. Charlie, just buy the damn company and stop wasting money, raising our rates and using this crappy juvenile software.

Now the EPG is another story that could be very easily dealt with but DISH just doesn't.

#13 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:26 PM

It is, has been for years and something DISH just will not address. ...

Bob,

My 942s and 622s never, not once, indicated they had completed a full recording but only actually had part. As some of us have reported, our 722ks occasionally do.

Don't see how it's been going on "for years."

#14 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:01 PM

Bob,

My 942s and 622s never, not once, indicated they had completed a full recording but only actually had part. As some of us have reported, our 722ks occasionally do.

Don't see how it's been going on "for years."

There has been and I have had EPG and recording related issues on our 501, 508, 510, 625 and 722 based on their sub-par software and the continuously erroneous information in the EPG for years. Of which I have been tracking with screen shots comparisons with more reputable sources such as TVGuide.com and TitanTV.com AND submitting them to DISH with no or flippant replies. Yours (and I am having it too) is just another addition to the pile and they're all related in one way or another from issues that have been happening for years. DISH made it possible for us to extend a recording, even in some cases doing to for us. But when the big networks started start shifting this was not addressed. Timers are not able or intelligent enough to realize that is a program starts early, that is will end early and thus the following timer, in all reality would naturally start early which creates a conflict that can only be resolved by negating one of the timers, creating conflicts or chopping off the ends of programs and adding the time to the next when it is not necessary.

About week after I got the last L671 all my timers that worked perfectly the week before after spending hours tweaking them, or selecting later airing episodes to make everything mesh the DISH way, all of a sudden every timer conflicted even and mostly when the timers had nothing to do with nor were anywhere near each other to cause a conflict. I have to do a series of screen shots as reference and redo all my timers, some changing the episode times, thank you basic cable for billion fold retrans.

This is a far too long neglected issue that just seems like DISH just does not want to address. I have had several Field Supervisors agree and a couple severely appreciative when I showed them personally these issues which made it apparent to them. They said they now understood the complaints that they were getting and having to deal without DISH's help.

P.S.
This was an issues that I never had with TiVo. The very short time I had them. PQ was garbage. They had provisions for early start. Could be why DISH is "creatively" avoiding this. I have always said that TiVo had the interface and DISH the picture quality.

#15 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:21 PM

Material not related to the subject of this thread deleted.

I posted a specific problem and asked a few questions to better able me to communicate the issue to Dish. You hijacked the GD thread - twice.

As I posted, I already did call Dish earlier today but was told I needed to replace the box and it was not a software issue. I came back here to gather some supporting data and instead got your diatribe.

For what its worth, I have never had the problems that seem to plague you and have had no problems introduced with the recent updates.

I have the one problem that used to be the subject of this thread before you arrived needing to be heard, and at least today Dish takes the position that it is a hardware problem with my specific receiver.

EDIT: I am in the process of trying to work with Dish to resolve the problem.

Edited by SaltiDawg, 10 November 2010 - 07:49 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:49 AM

Material not related to the subject of this thread deleted.

I posted a specific problem and asked a few questions to better able me to communicate the issue to Dish. You hijacked the GD thread - twice.

As I posted, I already did call Dish earlier today but was told I needed to replace the box and it was not a software issue. I came back here to gather some supporting data and instead got your diatribe.

For what its worth, I have never had the problems that seem to plague you and have had no problems introduced with the recent updates.

I have the one problem that used to be the subject of this thread before you arrived needing to be heard, and at least today Dish takes the position that it is a hardware problem with my specific receiver.

EDIT: I am in the process of trying to work with Dish to resolve the problem.

Please keep us informed about Dish's response to fix the problem as originally posted. I had my Dish installed by a local Dish dealer. I called him about the problem & he acknowledged he has previously heard about it. He did not have an explanation as to why it happens but said he would replace the DVR if it happens again.

#17 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:30 PM

Please keep us informed about Dish's response to fix the problem as originally posted. I had my Dish installed by a local Dish dealer. I called him about the problem & he acknowledged he has previously heard about it. He did not have an explanation as to why it happens but said he would replace the DVR if it happens again.

Yesterday Dish uploaded my Diagnostic logs from my 722k with an example of this problem. They will RMA my receiver if they need it.

#18 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:30 AM

It happened again last night. My wife was watching Dancing With The Stars and about half way through it jumps to the end. Needless to say she is PO'd.

#19 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:31 AM

It happened again last night. My wife was watching Dancing With The Stars and about half way through it jumps to the end. Needless to say she is PO'd.

Mike,

You do have a 722k, correct?

#20 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

Mike,

You do have a 722k, correct?

Yes I have the “K” model.

The problem recording from 2 weeks ago was CBS & the one from last night was ABC, both were recorded via the sat tuner (vs. OTA).

I called the sat dealer today & he will replace the DVR. He acknowledged that he has come across this problem before & said it’s the hard drive. And replacing the DVR has solved the problem. I’m busy this week so it won’t be till next week. I hope this solves my problem.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...