Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recording playback ended early?

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

... He acknowledged that he has come across this problem before & said it’s the hard drive ...

It is my understanding from Dish that at one point earlier (than 722k) receivers had the problem but it was corrected in software.

In post #10 above I asked if anyone had the problem on a receiver other than a 722k. No response, but hardly conclusive. :)

It is my understanding from Dish that it is a software issue and thus the need to upload my error log and diagnostics and possibly RMAing my 722k back to Dish for a "necropsy."

I would be interested in your posting back in a few weeks to see if the problem has occurred on your new 722k.

Best of luck.

PS I've had the problem occur on my 722k both with OTA and also Sat channels.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:49 AM

SaltiDawg,

One of my earlier Comcast DVRs had a problem where it would delete one particular program from the recording schedule & push it back a week. It was a dual tuner DVR but I ended up with 4 programs at the same time on a Monday. There was no way I could schedule 4 at the same time, yet the Comcast DVR did it. And it was only this one program every week. Comcast came out & saw the 4 scheduled recordings. I would think that this would be a program guide issue or a software/firmware problem, not a hardware problem. They exchanged the DVR with another new unit & it solved the problem.

At this point I’ll believe anything is possible.

I’ll keep you posted of what, if anything, happens in the next few weeks. Did Dish give you any ETA regarding when they’ll know something from your diagnostic logs?

#23 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:16 AM

I’ll keep you posted of what, if anything, happens in the next few weeks. Did Dish give you any ETA regarding when they’ll know something from your diagnostic logs?

Absolutely no indication... nor any promise. :)

I think that anyone experiencing this problem should inform Dish. (When I initially did so the CSR Supervisor insisted it was a hardware issue and offered to replace my STB - I said no.

#24 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:58 AM

Well my replacement 722K just had the same problem. About 6 minutes into playback the program jumps to the end. This time it was an OTA recording. Obviously I'm not real happy. It was after hours but I left my local dealer a voice mail message.

I also called Dish & was transferred to advanced technical support. One of the questions the tech asked was how my dish was grounded. I never thought much about it, but it is not grounded other than by the coax connecting it to the DVR which in turn is plugged into the wall outlet.

The tech said everything looked good from what he can see via my network connection, so it should not be a signal problem. And since the DVR was already replaced he did not suspect a hard drive problem. He has come across the problem before & said it's either a signal problem, hard drive problem or a grounding problem. He said even though the DVR indicates the recording is 1:04 hrs long, it's possible that some signal pulse or wild swing in signal strength corrupted the signal. But I don't know about that as I had a signal loss one time due to rain fade but the DVR kept recording.

My sat coax is run into my attic and diplexed to the OTA antenna which is located in the attic. IOW I have no wires or cables running down the side of the house.

I did a forum search on proper grounding & it appears the dish should be grounded. However it also appears a lot of people do not have their dishes grounded. And my corrupt recording is from my attic OTA antenna.

SaltiDawg -

Is your dish grounded?

#25 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:35 AM

SaltiDawg -

Is your dish grounded?

Yes, and it has never had this problem on earlier receivers, including a 622. Also, my Dish has a second receiver (a 622) on it and the problem does not occur there.

The Engineer at Dish with whom I was corresponding indicated that they believed it was a software issue with the 722k.

Interestingly, it has occurred twice since I upload my logs, etc, to Dish and I have saved those corrupted(?) files - but can not get the Dish Engineer to respond to my E-mails. :mad:

I just sent another E-mail to the contact, copy to the CEO contact that has always helped with "issues" in the past.

Edited by SaltiDawg, 21 December 2010 - 08:15 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:00 PM

My local dealer said they ground the coax but not the dish. He did not think grounding was the problem. In this latest case it should not make a difference because I used the OTA antenna.

He suggested I use the sat tuners for locals & see what happens. I explained the DVR he picked up last week had corrupt programs from the sat tuners. IOW the tuners do not seem to be the problem. And when I had a sat signal loss due to rain fade about a month ago the DVR kept on recording.

I explained to the dealer that per this forum that other people have had the same problem with the 722K. IOW it may be a software issue. He was going to check with his retail dealer forum & see what he can find out. I will follow up with him next week.

#27 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 384 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

722k, has had it happen sporadically, last one was a week ago on "Pirate Radio"
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#28 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:26 PM

The Engineer at Dish with whom I was corresponding indicated that they believed it was a software issue with the 722k.

Interestingly, it has occurred twice since I upload my logs, etc, to Dish and I have saved those corrupted(?) files - but can not get the Dish Engineer to respond to my E-mails. :mad:

I just sent another E-mail to the contact, copy to the CEO contact that has always helped with "issues" in the past.

I have now heard from Dish Engineering again. They are certain it is a software issue and not an install or individual receiver issue.

They are sending me a replacement and an RMA lable via US Mail so that i can return my receiver to Colorado with three recordings that all appear normal, yet skip to the end at some point. (Last night I recorded two one-hour episodes of TNT's "Leverage." Both recordings appeared to be complete. However, five minutes into the first episode the recording simply skipped to the end-screen.)

The three defective recordings on the receiver were recorded on TNT, DIY, and ENCORE. (I will include a note advising them that in the past the problem has also occurred on an OTA recording.)

It will be interesting to see if a 722k replacement shows up... and also if it has the OTA module. (If not, I'll install mine in it.) Also, we'll see if I can successfully save the old 722k's timers to my remote and transfer them to the new 722k. (If not, I'll do what I've done in the past with my 622.... take photos of the TV screen listing my timers.)

Edited by SaltiDawg, 21 December 2010 - 08:55 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:54 AM

SaltiDawg,

Please keep us informed on what Dish Engineering finds out.

I spoke with my dealer yesterday & asked what he found out from his dealer forum. He said about 70 people read his posting but only one replied. And that one said he replaced the DVR 3 times.

I hope it's a software issue & that Dish can just download an update.

#30 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:11 AM

Nice to compare notes on this annoying problem I still see occasionally. It is FUTILE to swap out your 722K - I've already done that. I believe it's related to the OTA Tuner, even if the affected recording was off sat.

Has anybody EVER experienced the premature jumping to the end with a 722K that did not have the OTA tuner installed?

I'm intrigued by the above hypothesis that a sat program might have been affected by a glitch in the OTA Tuner. My OTA Tuner will occasionally complain/pixelate even though I'm 7 miles line-of-sight from the broadcast antenna - the 722K OTA Tuner is just a flakey design and swapping that is ALSO futile (done that as well).

#31 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:18 AM

I'm intrigued by the above hypothesis that a sat program might have been affected by a glitch in the OTA Tuner. My OTA Tuner will occasionally complain/pixelate even though I'm 7 miles line-of-sight from the broadcast antenna - the 722K OTA Tuner is just a flakey design and swapping that is ALSO futile (done that as well).

Barry,

Not arguing, but I have never seen the issues you describe with my OTA module. In fact, my only issue or complaint is the early ending of recordings about 3-4 times a month. (I have 90+ timers set.)

#32 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:29 AM

Not arguing, but I have never seen the issues you describe with my OTA module. In fact, my only issue or complaint is the early ending of recordings about 3-4 times a month. (I have 90+ timers set.)

Right, but I still suspect it's related to that OTA module. Let's wait and see if anybody responds who's seeing the problem on a 722K with no OTA module installed.

#33 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:25 PM

I don't think I have seen it since I replaced my 722 with a 722k.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#34 OFFLINE   JSIsabella

JSIsabella

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:47 PM

I really hope that Dish will address this problem.

It has happened to me three times this month.

I have a 722k with OTA module, and one of the recordings was OTA. The other two were from the sat.

Two of these were shows recorded for the wife. It is bad enough that we missed 4 episodes of Terriers during the dish-fox stalemate. To say she is not happy is a real understatement. She wants me to throw out the dish system.

My cable from the dish is grounded just fine. And I don't think it is an issue of conflicts with other recordings. When it recorded NCIS-LA, there was nothing else scheduled before or after. It says it has recorded 1 hr and 3 min, but at 38 minutes into the show it just ended.

It really is aggravating..........

If there is someone specific to complain to, let me know.

#35 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:06 PM

I have now heard from Dish Engineering again. They are certain it is a software issue and not an install or individual receiver issue.

They are sending me a replacement and an RMA lable via US Mail so that i can return my receiver to Colorado with three recordings that all appear normal, yet skip to the end at some point. (Last night I recorded two one-hour episodes of TNT's "Leverage." Both recordings appeared to be complete. However, five minutes into the first episode the recording simply skipped to the end-screen.)

The three defective recordings on the receiver were recorded on TNT, DIY, and ENCORE. (I will include a note advising them that in the past the problem has also occurred on an OTA recording.)

It will be interesting to see if a 722k replacement shows up... and also if it has the OTA module. (If not, I'll install mine in it.) Also, we'll see if I can successfully save the old 722k's timers to my remote and transfer them to the new 722k. (If not, I'll do what I've done in the past with my 622.... take photos of the TV screen listing my timers.)

I received a replacement 722k on December 24th. I have not returned the original 722k with the three early-ending recordings because dish has not yet sent me the appropriate RMA label so that it can be returned to Colorado vice N Carolina. :mad:

I did have pretty good results with restoring my saved timers from the remote to the replacement 722k. :)

The replacement unit did not include an OTA module, but it did have instructions telling me to use the module from my original receiver, if it had one. No big deal.

#36 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:52 PM

Any issues with the replacement?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#37 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

Any issues with the replacement?

Kent,
Absolutely no issues - so far. :)

Edited by SaltiDawg, 03 January 2011 - 04:26 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:56 PM

I just replaced my 722 with a 722k. I haven't had the early ending issue (yet). It does have some annoying features that the 722 did not have. Glad yours is working.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#39 OFFLINE   bliz

bliz

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

for me it only records 24 mins of some shows

#40 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

Consistently?

spam firewall