Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recording playback ended early?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

Kent,
Absolutely no issues - so far. :)

Kent, my replacement 722k, which I've had for 10 days, just made a recording of "This Old House." After two minutes, the recording skips to the end screen. I advised Dish.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

Crap. I hope that's not a preview of coming attractions.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#43 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:15 AM

Crap. I hope that's not a preview of coming attractions.

Kent,

They still have not received my "old" 722k with the three examples of the problem so there is/was no reason to expect the temporary replacement to not exhibit the problem.

#44 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

I haven't experienced this thus far. I am assuming it doesn't happen on all 722k's; is that your understanding?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#45 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

I haven't experienced this thus far. I am assuming it doesn't happen on all 722k's; is that your understanding?

Actually, the Dish Engineer to which I'm talking to says they are leaning toward something that will take an update to correct.

I have posted and asked if anyone with a 622 or 722 has this problem... no responses. I asked if anyone with a 722k was having this problem and only got a couple of positive responses.

I guess the honest answer is that I don't know if all 722ks are having this problem.

#46 OFFLINE   kevin d

kevin d

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

Just experienced this again on my 722K, but for the first time it was not via an OTA channel. Missing the last 10 minutes of The Closer. Gets to 9:59 left and skips to the end.

Shame to pay $140 a month for TV and have to result to 'illegal' means to catch the end of a season finale.

Kevin D.

#47 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:15 PM

Shame to pay $140 a month for TV and have to result to 'illegal' means to catch the end of a season finale.

:confused: It's repeated Saturday at 11:00AM EST.

#48 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

Just experienced this again on my 722K, but for the first time it was not via an OTA channel. Missing the last 10 minutes of The Closer. Gets to 9:59 left and skips to the end.

Kevin D.

So, I guess you didn't see Brenda get shot at the end???

#49 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:23 AM

I emailed the Dish Network Executive Offices yesterday. I politely explained the situation & that I was not the only one having this problem & referred them to this forum thread for additional information.

At about 8:00pm I received a phone call from their Executive Offices. I was told they were aware of this problem & it seems to affect only some of the 722K models. It does not affect the 722. They have been aware of this since the middle of last year, which would mean about 6 months. They have not received a lot of complaints & thought some people just delete the corrupt recordings. Maybe more people need to call or write Dish every time they have a problem.

The person I spoke with said he would swap my 722K for a 722 and said the only difference was the remote. I explained the 722K had the dual tuner OTA module. He said the 722 has an OTA tuner. I said it’s only a single tuner. At first he did not appear to understand the difference, until I said the 722K can record 4 programs at once, and of course he said the 722 cannot.

I asked if he looked at this forum & he said he could not because they had restricted access to Internet sites. I understand a lot of companies do this so the employees don’t spend their day on ebay, etc. But you would think if you worked in the Executive Offices that you would have access to everything, especially if it’s related to DBS.

He thought the problem might be a scheduling problem or a HDD problem, but did not know for sure. I was more than a little disappointed that they’ve known about this for about 6 months and still don’t know what causes it, let alone find a solution.

Obviously SaltiDawg’s engineer contact should have more intimate knowledge of the problem. I don’t mean to step on anyone’s toes, but do want to make sure the Executives know there is a problem brewing down here. Too bad they’re locked out of a satellite forum. As previously mentioned, you don’t know there’s a problem until you’re already into watching a recording & it suddenly ends. I feel like I’m living with time bomb just waiting for it to miss another recording.

#50 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

Obviously SaltiDawg’s engineer contact should have more intimate knowledge of the problem. I don’t mean to step on anyone’s toes, but do want to make sure the Executives know there is a problem brewing down here. ...

Every E-mail I send to or receive from Dish on this matter is Cc'd to the CEO's Office to an individual that has been both supportive and technically knowledgeable in the past.

It has not been suggested to me that Dish has been aware of this problem apparently unique to the 722k for six months. If the person you communicated with thought that the difference between a 722 and a 722k was the remote, I'm not sure i'd be quoting him here as saying Dish has been aware of the early ending problem for six months or more.

I do agree with the idea that if one is having problems they should call Dish. However, as we see from reading posts here, frequently it is cockpit error rather than hardware/software.

Edited by SaltiDawg, 29 January 2011 - 08:27 AM.

#51 OFFLINE   kspeters

kspeters

Mentor/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:21 AM

Just wondering about something. Have you guys been checking your hard drive temps? I did abou the time I was having problems and it was in the 129 degree range. I then put a thermoloake usb powered fan on the left rear side sucking air out and my avg temps are falling fast. I have had it on since Dec. 15 or so and the avg temp went from like 125 to 105 and still falling. The low temp went to 85 degress so I will see how low the avg will go. Since then I have not had those type of problems. The only thing I get is occasional very slow to react to remote control when in the EPG.

#52 OFFLINE   rlbfsb

rlbfsb

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:23 AM

We had the same problem with Hawaii Five-O from Monday night. We started to watch the show and five minutes into the show it jumped to the end. I recorded it from the local CBS channel off the satellite feed not the OTA feed on the VIP722k model DVR with the OTA tuner. We only been a Dish customer for less than a month and this is the first problem we've seen. Let's hope someone will take care of this problem soon.

#53 OFFLINE   altidude

altidude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

I've seen this once on a 722k on a show recorded OTA. It's been several weeks back though. No problems since then that I've seen and the wife/kids haven't mentioned anything to me.

#54 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

I've seen this once on a 722k on a show recorded OTA. It's been several weeks back though. No problems since then that I've seen and the wife/kids haven't mentioned anything to me.

I typically have 80-90 active timers. The problem occurs 2 or 3 times a month on my 722k.

It occurs more often on Sat recordings, but I have more Sat timers than OTA timers so I am not surprised.

#55 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

So, I guess you didn't see Brenda get shot at the end???

I hadn't watched that episode yet, Thanks for the spoiler. Not a biggie however maybe less details next time, we don't all have lots of time. I had been working my way through Leverage first.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#56 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

Just kidding about Brenda. Don't they show that several times during the week?
I have 40 episodes of Leverage I'm working through.

#57 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

Just kidding about Brenda. Don't they show that several times during the week?

It is repeated tomorrow (Saturday) at 11:00AM EST.

I do think it's cool that Brenda and Fritz are expecting a child and that Brenda's folks are moving to LA to look after the tyke.

#58 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:25 PM

It repeats again on Monday at 8:00pm.

I can't imagine that Fritz is going to be too happy when he discovers that the baby is Pope's.

#59 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

I typically have 80-90 active timers. The problem occurs 2 or 3 times a month on my 722k.

It occurs more often on Sat recordings, but I have more Sat timers than OTA timers so I am not surprised.

Just got bit by the "end early" bug. Fortunately, the program is available once more. It was a satellite delivered channel. :mad:

#60 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

Well, it happened again, this time late in the 3rd quarter of the Steelers Ravens game.
So, a big Thanks For That to Dish Network.

Perhaps, after almost 14 years, I have had enough.

Edited by russ9, 15 January 2011 - 11:44 PM.

Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

spam firewall