Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recording playback ended early?

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:23 AM

Well, it happened again, this time late in the 3rd quarter of the Steelers Ravens game.
So, a big Thanks For That to Dish Network.

Perhaps, after almost 14 years, I have had enough.

Oddly enough, that's when mine ended as well. I happened to notice it and recorded the end of the game manually. The original recording was two hours and thirty one minutes long.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:29 AM

Oddly enough, that's when mine ended as well.

WOW, so did mine! With about 9 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. This is an amazing data point.

So I guess we're supposed to simultaneously record the OTA signal and the satellite signal (if we have one) to avoid the skip-to-end?

(I assume that all you guys were recording the game OTA on a 722K)

Edited by BarryG, 16 January 2011 - 07:23 AM.

#63 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:44 AM

And I assume that you haven't taken the time to read this thread. Instead of bashing Dish, the thread had seemed pointed toward helping to resolve the issue... until now. :rolleyes:

#64 OFFLINE   JSIsabella

JSIsabella

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:06 AM

Just wondering about something. Have you guys been checking your hard drive temps? I did abou the time I was having problems and it was in the 129 degree range. I then put a thermoloake usb powered fan on the left rear side sucking air out and my avg temps are falling fast. I have had it on since Dec. 15 or so and the avg temp went from like 125 to 105 and still falling. The low temp went to 85 degress so I will see how low the avg will go. Since then I have not had those type of problems. The only thing I get is occasional very slow to react to remote control when in the EPG.

=====================================

Good idea, but no. I have had an external fan on my 722k since I got it. Low temp=86, High temp=121, Avg temp=111.

I have started doing a quick scan at 300X speed to make sure a the program completes before I watch it. At least then, I know BEFORE I get interested in the show...........

BUT THIS IS NOT A GOOD SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!

THIS NEEDS FIXED DISH NETWORK!

#65 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:25 AM

And I assume that you haven't taken the time to read this thread. Instead of bashing Dish, the thread had seemed pointed toward helping to resolve the issue... until now. :rolleyes:

Apologies, point well taken. Just very frustrated at getting cut off right in the middle of a GREAT game.

Perhaps SD can pass on the info that many of us lost the recording at seemingly the exact same time.

#66 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:49 AM

Perhaps SD can pass on the info that many of us lost the recording at seemingly the exact same time.

I could do so. I guess I would first ask was it exactly at the same point? (I can see that it may be difficult to reconstruct the exact time.)

This would possibly be important as so far, at least as far as I can see, there has been no suggestion that these early endings were not seemingly random or common to multiple receivers or source related.

PS I see a similar nasty swipe by you over in another forum:
"3 users who recorded the Steelers-Ravens game yesterday all reported that the recording "skipped to the end" at the same time (in the 3rd quarter). I believe they were all using the 722K OTA tuner. There is a bug in the 722K that needs fixing, but not sure Dish is interested."

I don't see where anyone said OTA. Don't see where all three ended "at the same time" - other than a general indication in two posts and your 9 minutes point.

Edited by SaltiDawg, 16 January 2011 - 10:14 AM.

#67 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:07 AM

I was.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#68 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

I could do so. I guess I would first ask was it exactly at the same point? (I can see that it may be difficult to reconstruct the exact time.)

I agree. As I stated before, the original timer generated a program that was two hours 31 minutes; not the four hours 30 minutes intended. I deleted the original program so I can't tell the exact moment it stopped. It would be interesting to see what time the game clock indicated. I have two more games today that I'm recording OTA so maybe I'll get another chance. Actually, I have mixed feelings about that. :)

#69 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

WOW, so did mine! With about 9 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. This is an amazing data point.

So I guess we're supposed to simultaneously record the OTA signal and the satellite signal (if we have one) to avoid the skip-to-end?

I had it recording on the uplinked feed on my 722k. (The local CBS channel is iffy OTA.) It was a little after the 1st Pittsburgh touchdown in the 3rd quarter, really can't say exactly when, but 3 customers with the same problem at around the same time watching the same problem is certainly not likely to be a coincidence.

I know, getting pissed off about a football game is a bit silly, I just wish they would fix the problem.

Edited by russ9, 16 January 2011 - 12:01 PM.

Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#70 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:54 AM

Actually, I had it recording on the uplinked feed on my 722k.

I know, getting pissed off about a football game is a bit silly...

NOT! :)

#71 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:58 AM

If russ9 and BarrryG would post their results from Sunday's games, maybe there's a clue in there somewhere.
I'm recording both games OTA.

#72 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

It was a little after the 1st Pittsburgh touchdown in the 3rd quarter.

Yes, that's it.

The most precise I can get is: 9:06 left on the clock in the 3rd quarter, during a commercial break just after the Ford Fusion commercial ended and the next commercial began. I guesstimate it was roughly 2hr6min into the recording, but not sure on this last point.

#73 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

Yes, that's it.

The most precise I can get is: 9:06 left on the clock in the 3rd quarter, during a commercial break just after the Ford Fusion commercial ended and the next commercial began. I guesstimate it was roughly 2hr6min into the recording, but not sure on this last point.

And two of the events were recording via OTA and one was via Satellite. :confused:

#74 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

Yes, that's it.

Sounds right, definitely during a commercial break, I was 30 second forwarding when it happened.
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#75 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

No problems with the first game on Fox.

#76 OFFLINE   TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network

Legend

• DISH Representative
  • 132 posts
  • LocationLittleton, CO

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

I looked up some info and will get this sent in to our operations dept to do further research into it. All I need is the software # from your 722k's experiencing the problem. If you can post that here I will get that submitted.

Tommy Faust
Social Media Representative
Sunday-Wednesday 6:00a-5:00p (MST)

#77 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:54 AM

I looked up some info and will get this sent in to our operations dept to do further research into it. All I need is the software # from your 722k's experiencing the problem. If you can post that here I will get that submitted.

It is a work in progress currently at Dish. Read the above thread.

#78 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:41 AM

All I need is the software # from your 722k's experiencing the problem.

This old problem has existed through many software versions.

#79 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:55 AM

Every E-mail I send to or receive from Dish on this matter is Cc'd to the CEO's Office to an individual that has been both supportive and technically knowledgeable in the past.

It has not been suggested to me that Dish has been aware of this problem apparently unique to the 722k for six months. If the person you communicated with thought that the difference between a 722 and a 722k was the remote, I'm not sure i'd be quoting him here as saying Dish has been aware of the early ending problem for six months or more.

I do agree with the idea that if one is having problems they should call Dish. However, as we see from reading posts here, frequently it is cockpit error rather than hardware/software.

As I had previously posted, I was to return my 722k to Dish in Colorado with three timers on it that exhibited the "Early Ending" problem. They sent me a replacement 722k which I received on 12/24. I was instructed to wait for a different shipping label that was to be mailed to me. I repeatedly followed up by E-mail and finally on 1/5 I was told that they no longer can do shipping that way and I should use the RMA label that was with the original 12/24 replacement unit. They wouid "trap" upon receipt it at the center and forward it from there to Colorado.

I followed up by E-mail on 1/5, 1/6, 1/12, 1/16, 1/20, and 1/25. All of these E-mails were sent to the Dish Engineer and the contact in the CEO's Office. I never received a reply.

On 1/25 I sent an E-mail to the generic CEO address and strongly complained about the way I was being dealt with. I received a phone call from the Engineer saying they had inadvertently wiped my returned unit's hard drive on receipt and thus we were back to square one. ((Still no response from the CEO's Office and no apology from anyone.)

I allowed as I was game to try again. The Engineer said that he had read this thread and asked if I would record drive temps and then remove the OTA module and again record these temps after a few days. I said I would, even though I thought that the poster suggesting such a link in this thread had provided no information to support even a hint of a causal relationship between the OTA module and our Early Ending problem.

An hour or so I sent Dish (CEO Contact and also Dish Engineer) a final E-mail:

"I did receive a phone call today from xxxxxx this afternoon.

Mr. xxxxxx explained that my RMAd receiver inadvertently had its hard drive wiped as part of the receiving process by Dish and therefore will not be of value in diagnosing the cause of the periodic recording failure wherein an apparently normal recording when viewed will simply end early and skip to the end screen.

Mr. xxxxxx asked me to gather some hard drive temperature info both with and without the OTA module installed. I said I would attempt to do so.

I offered to keep the one example that currently exists of the problem that exists on my current 722k and when additional examples accrue, I would E-mail him and offer to RMA that receiver.

Upon further reflection, I am unable (or unwilling) to remove and reinstall my OTA module in order to gather temperature data. I think that this is something that Dish can accomplish without my help.

I remain willing to RMA my receiver in the future, if Dish desires.

My HDD Temperature counters are currently High=140, Low=113, Average = 125. My 722k is in exactly the same location that my previous 622s and 501 receivers were.

I remain disappointed in Dish's failure to respond to this customer's request for a simple reply and will consider my options for continued service. It really seemingly took an effort to alienate this long-term (previously) contented customer."

If a Moderator wants these contact names, I will privately provide them if asked. (I will also forward all of my E-mails.... to a Moderator if asked.)

To be clear, I will presumably not be doing anything to help on the correction of this 722k real problem. If the individual that threw out the suggested OTA Module link wants to follow up, I would suggest he/she should do so. (I personally think it is a witch Hunt.)

I am really disappointed in Dish - this from a person that generally was a fan. I have Fios available and if Dish continues to bury their collective heads in the sand, I shall go Fios.

Edited by SaltiDawg, 31 January 2011 - 07:03 AM.

#80 ONLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:23 AM

SaltiDawg,

What a shame on Dish. You did everything they requested & they still screwed up. They had the problematic DVR and wiped out the problems. Unbelievable. Well not really - it seems not a lot of people or companies truly care about customer service.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...