Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recording playback ended early?

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:01 AM

it seems not a lot of people or companies truly care about customer service.

What strikes me is their casual (don't care?) attitude toward fixing a long reported technical issue that is difficult to reproduce in the test lab. Your DVR represented a missed opportunity to take the investigation further. Where is the professionalism at Dish?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:07 AM

What a shame on Dish. You did everything they requested & they still screwed up. They had the problematic DVR and wiped out the problems. Unbelievable. Well not really - it seems not a lot of people or companies truly care about customer service.

Mike,

The mistake in erasing the hard drive does not bother me so much... mistakes happen.

The fact that the individual at the CEO's Office did absolutely nothing to help really bothers me, and the Dish supposed engineer does not measure up to this retired engineer's standards for professionalism or problem engagement.

#83 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:56 PM

I caught my 722K in the act of another occurrence of this problem. It was about 5 minutes into "Pipe Dream" on Golf HD this evening. The show was still in process of recording when I started watching. After 5 minutes of viewing, it suddenly indicated "Live TV" onscreen - it skipped over about 10 minutes of recording. Although it indicated it was still recording, it will not let me view anything after that 5 minute mark.

FWIW, there's an OTA recording also in progress at the same time ("V" on ABC), but it doesn't look like there's any skip in that recording.

#84 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:24 AM

I caught my 722K in the act of another occurrence of this problem. It was about 5 minutes into "Pipe Dream" on Golf HD this evening. The show was still in process of recording when I started watching. After 5 minutes of viewing, it suddenly indicated "Live TV" onscreen - it skipped over about 10 minutes of recording. Although it indicated it was still recording, it will not let me view anything after that 5 minute mark.

FWIW, there's an OTA recording also in progress at the same time ("V" on ABC), but it doesn't look like there's any skip in that recording.

As far as I know, while Dish is aware of this serious problem, sadly they are doing absolutely nothing to solve it.

#85 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:42 AM

As far as I know, while Dish is aware of this serious problem, sadly they are doing absolutely nothing to solve it.

Is there any hint of the same or similar bugs with the 922K?

#86 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:53 AM

Is there any hint of the same or similar bugs with the 922K?

I have only heard of this problem with the 722k.

#87 OFFLINE   bladerunner6

bladerunner6

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:36 AM

I had this happen to me watching Hawaii 5-0 this week. There were about 43 minutes left and it ended.

If anybody could guide me to the CEO or other emails to send a complaint to, that would be helpful.

I will be calling customer service, but I want this to head up the food chain.

Thanks!

#88 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:42 AM

Good luck fighting the fight! Please let us know if you get a substantive response. With FIOS TV now coming to my town offering ridiculous promo pricing, I'm no longer so keen on resolving this 722K issue.

#89 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

I had this happen to me watching Hawaii 5-0 this week. There were about 43 minutes left and it ended.
. . .

Same thing happened to me. I don't remember exactly how many minutes but it was a substantial portion. Enough that I decided not to watch the partial episode.

Funny thing is, mine was OTA. :confused:
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#90 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

If anybody could guide me to the CEO or other emails to send a complaint to, that would be helpful. ...

I repeatedly tried to get a response from a known contact in the CEO's office to no avail. I also tried on two occasions to get a response from the generic CEO@echostar.com. Not a peep. I also offered to provide the Engineer's contact info and the CEO Rep's contact info to a Moderator here - no response.

Here is some history.

http://www.dbstalk.c...578#post2697578

and here is a query I made of a Dish Rep who posts here - I guess he missed it.

http://www.dbstalk.c...534#post2714534

#91 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:29 PM

About 2:30 into the recording of Glee, my 722K once again did the dirty deed. It's great to be reminded once again of how Dish engineering responds to serious bugs in its main products.

#92 OFFLINE   altidude

altidude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:38 AM

With about 8-10 minutes to go in the March 18 OTA recording of Fringe, my 722k decided I had seen enough. I sure wish Dish could get this resolved.

#93 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:09 PM

One of my friends called & said he just experienced the same problem. Was CBS OTA from the other night. He said it also happened once before.

#94 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

My 722K just did it again during the OTA recording of CBS' Masters coverage. Dish Network, please consider this a flurry of four letter invectives hurled your way for doing nothing to resolve this issue. It's not like golf fans are going to be pissed off or anything about missing one of the best Masters' finales in their lifetimes. Dish, just take your time thinking about whether this problem needs any attention or whether it might just go away.

Edited by BarryG, 11 April 2011 - 07:15 PM.

#95 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

My 722K just did it again during the OTA recording of CBS' Masters coverage. Dish Network, please consider this a flurry of four letter invectives hurled your way for doing nothing to resolve this issue.

Please consider a fifth. I just read this entire thread and can say that I have had recordings end early also. I have a 722k with dual OTA tuners.

Quite disturbing considering the OP started this thread on 11/7/10, had confirmation over the months by several senior members, with at least one who provided excellent documentation to Dish. Five months later and......... nothing. Aren't there Dish employees that monitor and provide feedback on some threads? :confused:

#96 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

Quite disturbing considering the OP started this thread on 11/7/10, had confirmation over the months by several senior members, with at least one who provided excellent documentation to Dish. Five months later and......... nothing. Aren't there Dish employees that monitor and provide feedback on some threads? :confused:

Actually, it's sixteen months if you include the thread over on that other Dish forum.

Just want to make sure we're REALLY feeling depressed about this :grin:

If you really stop and think about it, it's pretty unbelievably pathetic.

#97 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

Actually, it's sixteen months if you include the thread over on that other Dish forum.

Just want to make sure we're REALLY feeling depressed about this :grin:

If you really stop and think about it, it's pretty unbelievably pathetic.

I see what you mean after reading the other thread. Sixteen months defines pathetic! To answer my own question, I knew I saw a Dish Network Internet Response to this thread:

I looked up some info and will get this sent in to our operations dept to do further research into it. All I need is the software # from your 722k's experiencing the problem. If you can post that here I will get that submitted.

Seeing that the response was back on January 18 2011, I guess Tommy and the operations department are still doing further research. :D Tommy, you still out there?

Edited by clotter, 12 April 2011 - 07:43 AM.

#98 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:10 PM

Seeing that the response was back on January 18 2011, I guest Tommy and the operations department are still doing further research. :D Tommy, you still out there?

Right, and knowing that this has been going on for at least 16 months, how freakin' important/relevant is the software version? (Can you say duh?):nono2:

#99 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:33 PM

Happened to me for the third time during CHAOS. Funny how we get a new release with silly little insignificant changes but totally ignore things like this. I'm still waiting for EHD management that looks like it was more than an afterthought. How long has that been around? :(
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#100 OFFLINE   sheltrk

sheltrk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:47 AM

722k, no OTA adapter (yet). We got bit by the "sudden end" bug about 30 minutes into "Glee" last night. Recorded from OKC-Fox affiliate (on satellite tuner) on Tuesday. Recording looked perfectly normal otherwise, no pixelation or any indication that the signal level was less than ideal. Reported length was a little over an hour, but could not view any content past the ~30 minute mark. Suspiciously, the *end* of "Glee" was viewable at the beginning of our "Raising Hope" recording. ("Raising Hope" comes on right after "Glee", for those of you who aren't fans of the Fox Tuesday night line-up.)

Anybody know if Dish is working on this supposed software glitch currently?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...